Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2021 8:18:55 PM EDT
Curious how you guys intend to vote.  The more significant choices, based on fundraising and polling (six figures and at least 1% in two or more polls, at minimum), include Republicans Larry Elder, John Cox, Kevin Faulconer, Kevin Kiley, Douge Ose, Ted Gaines, and Bruce Jenner, as well as Democrat Kevin Paffrath and Libertarian Jeff Hewitt (who to my surprise currently holds elected office as a Libertarian).  There are 37 others, including independents, Republicans, Democrats, and Greens.

Personally, I'll be voting for Elder.  I think he's the best choice for several reasons, and not just his positions on the issues.  The CA GOP establishment wants Faulconer, according to someone I know who's going to be involved in the process and representing my district when the GOP makes its decision this weekend (he and his picked delegates are voting for Kiley), including Darrel Issa and pretty much the whole GOP legislative delegation.  Apparently, his goal, and that of others, is to just try to deny Faulconer from getting the 60% of the delegates needed for an endorsement.

So, for whom are you guys voting?
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 9:42:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Elder gets my vote.  Now we've just got to convince the majority to vote to remove newsome.  I have my doubts.  I'm thinking the recent media bullshit about newsome is in trouble is...bullshit.  To get out the vote and keep newsome in office.  Then they'll have a "MANDATE!!!".  If newsome stays in office they will never stop crowing about how democracy works and the people have spoken and the evil Russian backed right wing has failed again in their insurrection attempt, blah, blah , blah.

I'm getting pushed to my limit.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 7:40:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Elder gets my vote.  Now we've just got to convince the majority to vote to remove newsome.  I have my doubts.  I'm thinking the recent media bullshit about newsome is in trouble is...bullshit.  To get out the vote and keep newsome in office.  Then they'll have a "MANDATE!!!".  If newsome stays in office they will never stop crowing about how democracy works and the people have spoken and the evil Russian backed right wing has failed again in their insurrection attempt, blah, blah , blah.

I'm getting pushed to my limit.  
View Quote

Well, if they need to get the vote out to keep him in office, then the polls are right about him being in trouble.

I think the Democrats are legitimately concerned at this point.  I don't think it's all pretend.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 1:36:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Let's recap:

ARFCOM wants Elder and Cox.

CA GOP wants Faulkner and Kiley.

That is classic! - another example of how ineffectual and out of touch the CA GOP is with the good people of California.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 10:06:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Question for those who know - do you only get to vote for a replacement if you vote Yes on the recall?  Or can you vote either Yes or No on canning Newsome, and then vote on who to replace him with?

And isn't the next CA governor's election Nov of 2022, such than even a replacement would only be in office till then, and have to run for a full term?  You'd think the CA government would just refuse to do anything a R governor told them to, would get backed up by all the Democrat judges, and it would be a horrible job till you most likely lost Nov of next year.  

My hats off to Elder and the others for even running for this, and while I hope they win, it's a huge uphill battle to do anything once in office.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 1:23:41 AM EDT
[#5]
The ballot will have two questions:

Should newsome be removed? Yes or No

If newsome is removed, who do you want to replace him?  There are 46 qualified candidates.  Pick one.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 1:43:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Let's recap:

ARFCOM wants Elder and Cox.

CA GOP wants Faulkner and Kiley.

That is classic! - another example of how ineffectual and out of touch the CA GOP is with the good people of California.
View Quote

To be fair, not much of a conclusion can be made from a sample size of five (which is how many people voted at the time of your post).

Yeah, the party wanted Faulconer.  Almost all of the CA GOP legislative delegation and Darrel Issa wanted Faulconer, among others.  An effort was made, with the support of Faulconer, ironically, to block an endorsement, which was successful.  In some ways that's good (makes it harder to paint this as the Republican recall successfully), in others bad (without a coalescing of Republican votes for one candidate, the leading Democrat, Paffrath, can potentially win).

CA GOP is next to worthless as an organization.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 1:45:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Question for those who know - do you only get to vote for a replacement if you vote Yes on the recall?  Or can you vote either Yes or No on canning Newsome, and then vote on who to replace him with?

And isn't the next CA governor's election Nov of 2022, such than even a replacement would only be in office till then, and have to run for a full term?  You'd think the CA government would just refuse to do anything a R governor told them to, would get backed up by all the Democrat judges, and it would be a horrible job till you most likely lost Nov of next year.  

My hats off to Elder and the others for even running for this, and while I hope they win, it's a huge uphill battle to do anything once in office.
View Quote

The two questions are independent.  Your ability to vote for one is not dependent on how you vote for the other.  You get to vote for or against the recall, and completely separately, for a replacement in the event Newsom is recalled.  You can vote against the recall and vote for a replacement candidate, or you can vote for the recall and choose to abstain from voting for a replacement.

A Republican win would have very limited implications.  Elder, or anyone else for that matter, would have real limits to what he could do proactively.  He can, however, exert a negative check in some ways, like refusing to enact more COVID mandates and rescinding any that exist.  At minimum, he can avoid any more harm from the Governor's office for the next year and change, and really, that'd be a relief in and of itself.  His chances of being elected in his own right in a normal election, should he choose to run, are quite slim.  He could probably do a bit more in that case, having more time, but under the circumstance, he'd still be limited in what he could accomplish.

More importantly, Democrats would be put on notice that they cannot simply do as they please as Governor without consequence (true regardless of who wins the race for a replacement).  One party rule is not so absolute that Democratic Governors can act with impunity.  That itself has value.

If Elder wins election in the wake of a Newsom recall, it would also be deliciously ironic that the first black Governor of California was a Republican.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Newsom is running some shit ads, claiming 100s of millions to remove him. Paid for by oil, GOP and Trump supporters. No white supremist BS

Elder gets my vote

Link Posted: 8/15/2021 12:07:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Elder

ETA:  The first question is most important.  Newsom needs to be recalled.  Accomplishing that is a win.  The second question of who will replace him is icing on the cake.  Cox is  a goofball.  Jenner, as in Bruce, has become a caricature of himself.  We don’t need the distraction of his life choices.  The others don’t matter.  They will just pull votes from the main contestants.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 1:04:45 PM EDT
[#10]
The recall has to happen.  Not sure if anyone besides Elder is politically any better.  A trained ass-kicking organizational tyrant might be better at battling the political establishment but not sure there's one in the field, either.  I doubt much can be accomplished with the current legislature, constitutional offices and Washington swamp.  But two years of of battle is going to be the ramp up to the next national elections and it's going to have national significance if they have to fight resurgent anti-Dem establishment characters everywhere.  The Dem part has it's left left wing whacks and the "right" to worry about with Pelosi, Biden and Harris to lead the charge.  

Cuomo getting the boot doesn't hurt because he's not kicked for his politics.  Newsom is a shining light on their party and their polticis and their performance.

Fauxcahontas has her work cut out.  The Republicans are going to be misusing the electoral policy and running for office everywhere.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 10:28:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Out and about today saw a few Fuck Biden flags in trucks, recall Newsom banners and people on overpasses and a nice tent at Bass Pro handing out door hangers, yard signs etc.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 5:22:13 PM EDT
[#12]
why would anyone want Cox?
just another RINO.
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 5:45:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Cox has spent so much money and time over the years for various positions.   I honestly never heard of him until a few years ago.  There are 46 candidates, I've only ever heard of 4.  Larry Elder , Faulconer but only because of here in the hometown forum, Cox because of his commercials, Jenner just because.  The vast majority of candidates are unknowns, at least up in NorCal. And AFAIK everyone on the list is from SoCal.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Got our ballots today.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 6:44:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Republican Doug Ose dropped out of the race.  He had a heart attack this week.  Hasn't endorsed anyone yet, although he hasn't gotten more than 4 points in the polls since Larry Elder entered the race.

The LA Times today, while opposing the recall, is kind of endorsing Faulconer for the replacement election.  The editors are calling for everyone to vote for him after they vote against the recall.  Says a lot about Faulconer, IMO.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#17]
The recall and election has degenerated into unabashed mudslinging.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#18]
The type of mud they're flinging shows how desperate they are.  It makes me think that their internal polling may be even worse than the public polling.  It also shows how little dirt they have been able to dig up on the Republican candidates.  This might well be the cleanest bunch I've seen run in a while.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 2:38:49 AM EDT
[#19]
I mailed in my ballot today, I voted for Elder.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Elder has our vote.
Trump supporting Cox last election fucked Travis Allen, who should have been the one that had Trump support for the election. Then again, CA GOP runs too fucking many folks that they will never get elected anyhow.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 11:42:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

To be fair, not much of a conclusion can be made from a sample size of five (which is how many people voted at the time of your post).

To be honest, I did say, "ARFCOM" wanted Elder, whether 5 votes or 500.

CA GOP is next to worthless as an organization.

They may even be in the way or counter-productive, consuming resources, promoting RINO losers, failing to promote good candidates, etc.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 6:11:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Latest poll shows Elder continuing to gain and the Democratic vote fracturing, with many Democrats still choosing to sit out the replacement election.

It also shows the recall losing 57-42% (with 1% undecided).  This is attributed to a major increase in Democratic participation over what polls have been indicating over the last couple of months.  Also, "No" voters have already voted at a much higher rate than "Yes" voters (58% compared to 35%, respectively).
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Vote.  Please.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Vote.  Please.
View Quote

Republicans haven't been voting much so far, based on the returns.  Hopefully the fear of fraud doesn't come and bit Republicans in the ass and become a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy, results-wise.

Link Posted: 9/9/2021 2:15:23 PM EDT
[#25]
I love how the survey used the name BRUCE!  

Link Posted: 9/11/2021 5:58:38 PM EDT
[#26]
The only poll that really matters will be taken in just a few more days.

Please get out and vote.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 3:37:49 PM EDT
[#27]
What he said.  Please vote.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 7:21:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Voted today

Voted  YES !!
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#29]
My wife and I were initially going to vote for our county’s libertarian, but then decided that we align with Elder enough to vote for him plus the fact he has a much better chance to getting the position. Our main focus is to get the Democrat petty Tyrant out of office and Larry has the best chance in my opinion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top