Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2020 7:02:04 PM EDT
I'm looking around for places to shoot and I'm seeing that clubs need sponsorships or rules such as two people need to be there when using the range. Are there any places one can shoot, including solo?

I'm relatively new to the area and the few friends I made are not part of any clubs, what are my options? I'm looking for some trigger time and would prefer to join an established club.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Hello there... Im in the next county over. I always join the local "fish & game clubs", but ranges are usually 100y. Some have longer, but you cant always access them. Lots of farm land around here, so thats always an option, the one I prefer. I have a couple Im allowed to shoot on that go further than I can make hits When shit gets back to normal, come to the valley & check out the REM museum & gift shop. They sell leftover products from production. Some pretty good deals at times Welcome to the area. I think there is another Oneida county guy(Mikey) on the board. Maybe we all need to get together for some range time...
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 7:51:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm finding that many ranges do not go more than 100 to 200 yards. How is there less access to shooting up here than on LI?
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Mostly fudds who hunt. They are shooting game w/in that distance, so thats all they care about. The nice thing is being able to spend hours at the clubs by yourself. I go mid-day, mid-week & Im usually the only one.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 8:54:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey there, I'm in Oneida county as well.

I'm a member of Camden Rod & Gun Club - http://camdenrgc.com/

Things are a little hectic right now with the COVID thing, so the indoor (pistol) range is closed - there is a small outdoor pistol range and an outdoor rifle range that I THINK goes to 200 yards. I'm mostly a pistol guy.

Annual fees are cheap, but initial fee is a little more to get you started. There is a mandatory "safety orientation" to show you how to shut down the club properly (since it is technically a 24/7 club when this COVID shit is over).

There is usually a business meeting (voting on club stuff) the 2nd Wednesday of each month, again except for right now because of this current situation... They also take summers off so probably wouldn't have another meeting until September.

They do occasional IDPA/defensive pistol shooting which I should do more of, I'm just not a fan of the stupid rules. I train to survive if I have to use my firearm. They also have a pistol steel shoot I've really been meaning to attend - when things are back to "normal".

They also have a skeet/trap range (just got a new machine a year or two back), but I've only done it once.

Most of the members are older (retired) - I wouldn't necessarily say FUDDs, some of them have nice pistols, but I've never seen a Modern Sporting Rifle in use at the outdoor range.

They have an annual fundraiser by selling gun raffle tickets - $25/ticket good for every day in June. The prizes are either shotguns, Ruger 10/22 rifles or gift certificates to a specific gun store. One of my cousins bought a ticket from me last year and won.. I've yet to win.

The club rules do state that two people shall be present during range usage, however I'm usually by myself. They probably have that in there for insurance purposes - if I injure myself and no one else is there... (no range officers on duty, it's an open range, but there ARE cameras since we've had... issues)

I know a few people who are members of the Verona club but the rules are more strict.

I'd recommend coming to the Business Meeting once they start up again, introduce yourself. They also usually have people there on Mondays called a "Shooter's Social" where you can hang out, meet people. Again, this was pre-COVID.. effin COVID.

EDIT: I forget where I saw this mentioned, maybe it was on the radio - https://www.wolfsportinggoods.com/ - wonder when it'll open.

Wolf Sporting Goods, Inc.  is what we call a next generation Range. We offer a unique destination for people of all ages. Our Climate controlled building allows you to have fun year round. Our building offers three different levels of entertainment, two restaurants, Café’, Training class room, event space, Archery ranges, Retail area, and much more. The basement level has (12)  25 yard heated and air-conditioned tactical rifle/pistol lanes. With state of the art target retriever systems. (3) 100 yard rifle lanes with latest targeting system. This area also has retail and rental areas. Moving to the ground level we offer a restaurant, Café, 4D Archery ranges, retail, Gunsmith and Bowtech area. Finally the third floor offers VIP restaurant, classroom, event space, and (5) more VIP rifle/pistol lanes with the same state of the art retriever systems found in the basement level.
View Quote

Sounds expensive...
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 2:30:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MikeyCNY:
Hey there, I'm in Oneida county as well.

View Quote

Hey, I actually was looking at Camden and drove by to check it out. It looks nice, especially that rifle range. I was set to apply and send in my app but then saw needing a sponsor. I'm definitely interested in joining but I guess like most all other place it will have to wait until this is over. It just sucks because i have a lot of time and ammo now and I'd like to put it to use. I have a spot I know on state lands people use for shooting but to be honest it's sketchy as hell and it's not like there's any targets up there.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 3:45:54 AM EDT
[#6]
The Ilion Fish and Game Club was a pretty nice club the last time I was there 6 years ago. It has skeet and trap and a 300 yrd rifle range.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 9:28:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Dabba:

Hey, I actually was looking at Camden and drove by to check it out. It looks nice, especially that rifle range. I was set to apply and send in my app but then saw needing a sponsor. I'm definitely interested in joining but I guess like most all other place it will have to wait until this is over. It just sucks because i have a lot of time and ammo now and I'd like to put it to use. I have a spot I know on state lands people use for shooting but to be honest it's sketchy as hell and it's not like there's any targets up there.
View Quote

There's not always a target stand at Camden's outdoor ranges - I always bring targets but sometimes forget the stand.

Last year someone was awesome enough to get a leave a dueling tree on the pistol range.. so much fun. It was there for a few months until just before winter - not sure if someone stole it or it was taken back for the winter.

I've been meaning to buy my own dueling tree (and other steel targets), but holy smokes are they expensive. (for the long-lasting models anyway)

I'll try to reach out this summer when I decide to head to the range to see if you're available. Two years ago we had an awesome get-together in the Albany area (can't find the thread, @AKCory762 @41magluva @tc556guy were there I believe, among others). Would love to do it again.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Wasn't me in that get-together.
My personal range was built as a handgun range so it's only 50 yards. Most organized gun clubs in my area don't have long distance ranges. Just the way it is. They were built to support mainly trap, skeet, maybe some handgun shooting. Rifle hunting is a fairly new thing. It used to be easier to find a farmer willing to let you shoot on their land if you wanted to get longer distance shooting in. Now we're losing farmland, existing ranges are being surrounded by development, etc.
The old generation of gun guys were not thinking long range planning....
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 2:01:55 PM EDT
[#9]

There's not always a target stand at Camden's outdoor ranges - I always bring targets but sometimes forget the stand.

Last year someone was awesome enough to get a leave a dueling tree on the pistol range.. so much fun. It was there for a few months until just before winter - not sure if someone stole it or it was taken back for the winter.

I've been meaning to buy my own dueling tree (and other steel targets), but holy smokes are they expensive. (for the long-lasting models anyway)

I'll try to reach out this summer when I decide to head to the range to see if you're available. Two years ago we had an awesome get-together in the Albany area (can't find the thread, @AKCory762 @41magluva @tc556guy were there I believe, among others). Would love to do it again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

There's not always a target stand at Camden's outdoor ranges - I always bring targets but sometimes forget the stand.

Last year someone was awesome enough to get a leave a dueling tree on the pistol range.. so much fun. It was there for a few months until just before winter - not sure if someone stole it or it was taken back for the winter.

I've been meaning to buy my own dueling tree (and other steel targets), but holy smokes are they expensive. (for the long-lasting models anyway)

I'll try to reach out this summer when I decide to head to the range to see if you're available. Two years ago we had an awesome get-together in the Albany area (can't find the thread, @AKCory762 @41magluva @tc556guy were there I believe, among others). Would love to do it again.

Ahh, I saw stands up when I went. They would let you ring your own steel targets? That would be cool. I wouldn't mind meeting up, I'd just wear a mask and keep a distance from you guys haha.

Originally Posted By Tuck3178:
The Ilion Fish and Game Club was a pretty nice club the last time I was there 6 years ago. It has skeet and trap and a 300 yrd rifle range.

I'll check it out, I eventually want to get into precision shooting so.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 2:53:16 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

That was great!  We almost forgot we were in between Turkey seasons.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 3:47:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 41magluva:
That was great!  We almost forgot we were in between Turkey seasons. 
View Quote

Still love this shot of my M1 Garand -

Attachment Attached File

And this one with the sun -

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

Hell yeah that was a blast! We should seriously do it again.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Still love this shot of my M1 Garand -

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/453429/arfcom_sept2018_4_jpg-1408437.JPG

And this one with the sun -

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/453429/arfcom_sept2018_7_jpg-1408438.JPG
View All Quotes

Still love this shot of my M1 Garand -

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/453429/arfcom_sept2018_4_jpg-1408437.JPG

And this one with the sun -

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/453429/arfcom_sept2018_7_jpg-1408438.JPG

Hey that’s me! I think I was shooting 41magluvas shotgun....i think.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By AKCory762:

Hey that’s me! I think I was shooting 41magluvas shotgun....i think. 
View Quote

Buck Rogers sights on a pump gun...yup...
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 2:07:49 PM EDT
[#15]
you guys are really making me want to go shoot now.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ICU:
Hello there... Im in the next county over. I always join the local "fish & game clubs", but ranges are usually 100y. Some have longer, but you cant always access them. Lots of farm land around here, so thats always an option, the one I prefer. I have a couple Im allowed to shoot on that go further than I can make hits When shit gets back to normal, come to the valley & check out the REM museum & gift shop. They sell leftover products from production. Some pretty good deals at times Welcome to the area. I think there is another Oneida county guy(Mikey) on the board. Maybe we all need to get together for some range time...
View Quote

I was going to make the same recommendations, Adirondack1 work for Big Green in the Mohawk Valley, and I know there are a few Clubs in the area.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:12:15 PM EDT
[#17]
It's been way too long since I've been to the range.  I'm a member of Buckhorn in Phelps, and Lyons Rod and Gun in Lyons.  Not in your AO, tho, Ontario and Wayne counties.  Buckhorn is pretty laid back, not a lot of room for rifle and pistol, but it's usually not crowded.  Lyons has a 200 yd outdoor, and 50' indoor range, and the clubhouse is usually pretty busy, they do allow smoking inside, which is a plus for some, minus for others (we don't smoke, but we go there from time to time and hang out).

Sounds like it's time for a NYHTF range day eh?
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 11:34:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ICU:
Mostly fudds who hunt.
View Quote

Well... we can't all be Navy SEALS.  

The ranges on LI are THE ONLY place to shoot.  Up that way you have farm fields, wood lots, state and county forrest...
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:55:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I joined Canastota. Rifle shooting is bench rest only including needing a back under the butt stock, but it also goes out to 600 yards. I bought a good steel target for offhand shooting on state lands.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:34:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well... we can't all be Navy SEALS.  
View Quote

Yeah... But, we can all take our training seriously though. Unless you like sitting around a bench bull shitting/complaining & not actually shooting. Just not my style. To each their own...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top