Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2022 7:04:27 PM EDT
Hey all, my wife and I moved here from NH last October...I grew up in NH but the constant inflow of liberals and RINOs from surrounding states has basically made the state insufferable to live in, driving up the cost of living, far beyond what I was able to afford if I wanted to retire...so retire I did and moved to Howell county. I live in a very rural part of the county on 10.5 acres about 22 miles north of West Plains and love it!

Anyway, now that I have settled in a bit, I'm looking around for decent gun stores and upcoming shows. There are so many listed, especially stores that it's hard to tell what's good (and not so good). The same goes for shows. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 12:22:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 12:35:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I did see that but all it tells me is who does transfers and what they charge. No info on the stores per se' that I found. I'm not real familiar where these stores are yet and if they are in my area but many of the ones I saw listed are 3-4 (or more) hours away from my town.

I guess I'll do more research...

Thanks...

DM
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:34:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 5:28:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry I didn't know anything helpful, but maybe someone will jump in during the weekend.
View Quote

NBD and thanks for your answer though . I'm having to get used to everything being SO spread out here in MO. My wife and I are heading to Springfield next weekend and there is a store I've seem just off Route 60 near Cabool. I think Ill stop in there on the way and check it out. There's also a Pawn shop here in town that, from the pics on their website, deal in the two things that are near and dear to my heart...guns and musical instruments. I'll go check them out tomorrow.

I saw that there was a gun show in West Plains this weekend but will have to miss that due to conflict of schedules.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 10:17:58 AM EDT
[#5]
The powder horn off 19 South in Winona used to be a great place to get reloading supplies, they had a few guns too.

I haven't been there in years though.

If you get north to Rolla there's a pawn shop on 72 that's pretty well stocked.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Missouri Gun Company

Cabool, MO

I havent been through there in a couple years, but he had a great selection of reloading stuff, some rifles and a lot of local knowledge about shooting clubs.

Attachment Attached File

Eta: the hat has a map, so you can find it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#7]
The powder horn on 19 in winonna has just a few products, sometimes powder, usually some scopes and accessories.  

My favorite is keith's guns on 160 just east of west plains.  lot's of gun, and stocking cz dealer....  There is a few small pawn shops around west plains, most don't have much.  There is one down town that does have lots of older stuff but prices are on the high side.

There is Carter's up on UU near between west plains and mt view.  They have a few guns, all new, nice lady, but her husband is in bad health and a bit grumpy of late....

If you find anything significant in your AO, let me know.  I stomp around down there every once in a while and like to gawk at stuff I can't afford... LOL

I'm up in shannon/reynolds county area....
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 9:06:02 PM EDT
[#8]
West Plains pawn and fine jewelry HWY 160 W, Guns 4 u HWY 63 South and HWY PP.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 10:25:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks all!

I went to a pawn shop in Mt. View (Ozark Trading Post) that just re-opened (the original owner passed recently and it was bought by another couple). It had two of my favorite things in it, guns and guitars as well as a bunch of other instruments. They have a good collection of firearms. Dozens of handguns as well as dozens of long arms and from what I could see, good to average pricing. Very friendly people.

I'll check out these other places you guys mentioned...
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Welcome to Howell County. Hope you're loving it here.

There's a gun show at the West Plains Civic Center yesterday and today.

My go to shop is Guns 4 U just outside West Plains.

I've been hearing good things about a new one just over the Ozark County line near the river. Can't recall the name of it at the moment. I'll get it and let you know.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Welcome to Howell County. Hope you're loving it here.

There's a gun show at the West Plains Civic Center yesterday and today.

My go to shop is Guns 4 U just outside West Plains.

I've been hearing good things about a new one just over the Ozark County line near the river. Can't recall the name of it at the moment. I'll get it and let you know.
View Quote

Thanks for the info...and we are loving it here. It's SO quiet where we live...far different then New England. Hopefully it will stay that way.

I wanted to go to the show in WP but I didn't find out about until it was too late to go as I had already made plans with my wife...you know the saying, "Happy wife, happy life". I'll keep my eyes and ears open for more shows in the area....I will check out Guns 4 U...I've seen it on Rt 60 but haven't stopped yet.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#12]
My uncle used to own a pawnshop in Willow Springs for decades but hell if I know if he still does now.
That’s kind of sad.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 9:33:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I’ll tell you right now that Earth outdoors is crazy high on their gun prices.
Pretty cool store though with lots to look at although they aren’t carrying near the selection of guns as they were a couple years ago.
This is a price tag from when I was in there last back in January. That’s just a complete lower. No upper.

Link Posted: 2/24/2022 11:53:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Missouri Gun Co has shotgun primers. $85 a thousand. I find price gouging to this degree distasteful, personnally. I will remember.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Missouri Gun Co has shotgun primers. $85 a thousand. I find price gouging to this degree distasteful, personnally. I will remember.
View Quote

What did they pay for the primers, in order to have them in stock and available for purchase?

I have not seen 1000 primers of any kind less than $100 for over a year, in multiple stores large and small.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 11:44:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I forgot what "well known" company it was but they were proudly selling pistol and rifle primers for $600 per 1000 not that long ago.

That's crazy talk.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 1:46:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Turtle's Hulls and Guns in Winona is a new shop that has been open about a year.

It's open in the evenings 5-8 P.M. And 9-Noon on Saturdays.

The guy who runs it has a day job and does it as his evening thing.

Don't let the evening hours fool you though. He has a great selection of guns and decent prices.

Offers Cerakoting of guns as well. His wife does these, and does amazing work!

He does transfers too if that is what you are needing.

$20 per gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top