Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2019 9:03:54 PM EDT
Please school me on handgun laws...….never thought Id be asking this about Cali.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 11:45:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Short story, they suck.

no threaded barrels, no more than 10 rd mags, transport in locked container not in passenger compartment separate from ammo.

Been in SD 9 months, same reason.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 1:06:48 AM EDT
[#2]
No concealed carry without a license.

No open carry.

Transportation in a auto requires it to be unloaded and in a locked container.  Ammo can be stored in same container but cannot be IN the firearm.  Glove box and center console cannot be used to transport the firearm.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 8:15:26 PM EDT
[#3]
So I cant have a loaded revolver in the car...……..does Cali have any reciprocity with any other carry permits from any other states?
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 8:28:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So I cant have a loaded revolver in the car...……..does Cali have any reciprocity with any other carry permits from any other states?
View Quote
Nope.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 10:39:56 PM EDT
[#5]
dont forget about the fun stuff, like doing a background check for ammo. and I think there is a fee to do that.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 11:24:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Correct, no loaded firearms in the car - none.  Handgun has to be locked away.  Long guns must be unloaded but don't need to be locked away.

California does not have reciprocity with any other States.
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 9:32:31 PM EDT
[#7]
So what about a shotgun in the home?
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#8]
So should I bring all the ammo I will ever need with me?
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 10:13:56 PM EDT
[#9]
if you are the service member you can buy ammo. there is no mechanism for a dependant to do so(or so I'm told by an ammo store). I have no idea how much it costs, but I'd order and bring a bunch with me.

also, if coming to San Diego county, you can apply for a CCW.

I dont know of any issue with keeping a shotgun at home. of course there are laws about keeping a loaded gun where kids have access, etc.
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 11:43:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Is this a PCS and you'll be able to establish residence?  If a resident, then you will just have the same restrictions as the rest of us, so to speak.  In which case, I'd suggest instead of buying ammo, consider if there are a handgun or two that's not on the roster that you might want to bring with you.

When moving to California, you can "import" off-roster handguns.  You can't import "assault weapons."  There are different rules to classify a firearm as an assault weapon depending on if it's a pistol, rifle or shotgun.  Not sure on your time frames, of course.  There are some time frames on reporting/registering  personally imported firearms so that might crimp your options.  But there are also provisions for registering vehicles, etc.  You may want to review the Ca. Attorney General/DoJ site for firearms.
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 2:03:01 AM EDT
[#11]
If it's PCS then none of the registering applies. I know for a fact the vehicles, 99% on the guns
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 5:44:17 AM EDT
[#12]
did you say I have to register firearms I am going to bring?

and yes its a pcs
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 6:41:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I left there 10 years ago but from what I remember:

They'll ask for a copy of your CAC if they're idiots. Don't do that. Illegal on the federal level.

Bring a copy of your orders stating you are stationed there, otherwise no gun for you.

Make sure they fill out the state background paperwork correctly. I bought a mosin and they put my last name as my middle initial, so I had to wait another fucking 10 days.

Handguns were treated like rifles, I didn't have to jump through any dumbass hoops because I was military. But they did have a one handgun a month rule, which is fucking retarded. But such is cali.

Carry was a no no, so you might as well forget it.

But this was 10 years ago. Shit has changed for the worse out there.
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 10:55:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

and yes its a pcs
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

and yes its a pcs
NO, you do NOT.
source

PC 12001(o) clarifies the residency requirement, and specifically excludes Active Duty Military in (o)(2).

(o) For purposes of paragraph (6) of subdivision (n):

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), residency shall be
determined in the same manner as is the case for establishing
residency pursuant to Section 12505 of the Vehicle Code.

(2) In the case of members of the Armed Forces of the United
States, residency shall be deemed to be established when he or she
was discharged from active service in this state.
So on the surface DOJ would have a service member who isn't a California resident believe that they have to register handguns they bring into the state. Yet when you look at the Penal Code that establishes this, it specifically excludes active duty military.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 6:04:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Know any rules on shotguns?   Can I have a Kel Tec KS7?
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 1:00:38 PM EDT
[#17]
The regs are linked in the  sticky thread.  The thread is mostly but not only AR discussions, other AW stuff in there, too.  Perhaps someone could review/change the title.  Although the cranky old teacher in me suggests people should do their own research from primary sources, like the DoJ site and be at least a little wary of forum discussions.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 11:16:41 PM EDT
[#18]
If the shotgun is not semiautomatic, it can never be an assault weapon no matter how it is configured.  Pump action shotguns  can be whatever you want them to be.

There is also the argument that shotguns are not "rifles" (because they have smooth bores) and even semiauto shotguns can never be assault weapons, however, I am not going to go there.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 8:01:32 AM EDT
[#19]
But to be clear......I can have my Sig 365 as long as none of my magazines exceed 10 rounds?
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If the shotgun is not semiautomatic, it can never be an assault weapon no matter how it is configured.  Pump action shotguns  can be whatever you want them to be.

There is also the argument that shotguns are not "rifles" (because they have smooth bores) and even semiauto shotguns can never be assault weapons, however, I am not going to go there.
View Quote
That makes zero sense, given that shotguns are covered by their own section of the AWB.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 4:02:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
But to be clear......I can have my Sig 365 as long as none of my magazines exceed 10 rounds?
View Quote
If the pistol has no assault weapon features (like a threaded barrel), you can bring it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That makes zero sense, given that shotguns are covered by their own section of the AWB.
View Quote
The problem with all these laws is none of them make sense.  Nonetheless to be an assault weapon it has to be semiautomatic (or have a revolving cylinder, lololol).  Those are the only ones that can be "assault weapons".  All the other "assault weapon" BS (which I snipped out below) applies to rifles and pistols.

Link to OAG.DOJ web site

I quote:

12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:

(snip)

6.A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
.....A.A folding or telescoping stock.
.....B.A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.
7.A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.
8.Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.
.....A."Assault weapon" does not include any antique firearm.
.....B.The following definitions shall apply under this section:
..........1."Magazine" shall mean any ammunition feeding device.
..........2."Capacity to accept more than 10 rounds" shall mean capable of accommodating more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include a
..............feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
..........3."Antique firearm" means any firearm manufactured prior to January 1, 1899.

9.This section shall become operative January 1, 2000.

If I am mistaken in my understanding, please correct me with reference to the code.  I try very hard to "keep my nose clean".
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 11:13:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So what about a shotgun in the home?
View Quote
 Here at Arfcom, it's considered heresy of the rankest form, and they don't work.

In the reality of CA, no problem.  They work fine.

However, there are some strict laws on storage, from the CA DoJ pages

Summary of Safe Storage Laws Regarding Children

You may be guilty of a misdemeanor or a felony if you keep a loaded firearm within any premises that are under your custody or control and a child under 18 years of age obtains and uses it, resulting in injury or death, or carries it to a public place, unless you stored the firearm in a locked container or locked the firearm with a locking device to temporarily keep it from functioning.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 9:21:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Last question for now...…….I have a 22 suppressor.  I have transferred it across state lines but never to Cali.  Are they even allowed in Cali?
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 1:56:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 2:30:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Last question for now...…….I have a 22 suppressor.  I have transferred it across state lines but never to Cali.  Are they even allowed in Cali?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
5320.20 does not apply to silencers.
Instructions sections A states
A written request and prior authorization from ATF to transport interstate
or in foreign commerce any destructive device, machinegun, short-barreled rifle,
or short-barreled shotgun
is required under the provisions of Section 922 (a)
(4), Title 18, U.S.C., and Section 478.28, Title 27, CFR. A letter of request, in
duplicate, containing all information required on this form, may be submitted in
lieu of the form.
Emphasis added.

Sadly irrelevant as California PC 33410 makes possession a felony
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top