Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 12/30/2020 10:43:44 PM EDT
Reading about this to my boys (6 and 9).  Is there anywhere left you can still see evidence of the active fire?  Smoke or something?

Apparently a lot of it is under Wayne National Forest.  Wonder if we could combine camping and hunt for the coal fire...
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 7:56:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I have been out there many times hunting on the AEP lands .. I have never seen any evidence of it. It is fascinating that it has been burning for such a long time..

Hope fully a local will chime in and have some insight on it.

Note: that is a remote and rough area, some of the locals are not the best if you follow me.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:13:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I did a report on that back in the 4th grade.

Pretty cool but I only remember a few local news stories about it when it would make the ground smoke in the late 70's early 80's.

Haven't heard anything about it since.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:14:35 AM EDT
[#3]
So not an ideal place to drag my 6 and 9 year old for a little adventure?
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:49:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd never heard of this and had to look it up. That's fascinating!
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#5]
can't help with an exact spot or what you will see but I have heard of people going out when it snows heavy and you can see perfect grass spots because of the heat
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 3:32:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So not an ideal place to drag my 6 and 9 year old for a little adventure?
View Quote

not really.... But that just my 2 cents
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:28:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:30:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File

Shamelessly downloaded.  Saw the same photo in the book I’m reading my boys.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 6:25:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Also, Centralia, PA is abandoned and unlivable because of an ongoing 50 year old mine fire.  There are several videos about it.

Centralia, Pennsylvania. Site of the underground coal fire + Drone Footage!
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top