Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2021 8:11:09 PM EDT
Looking to find local HAM members to link up with and work on getting my Technician and General license.

I will do the work i jus need pointed in the right direction.

I am located in central jersey Hunterdon County.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:36:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:29:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 7:05:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:55:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm in Ocean county.
Hamcram dot com will get you to whatever level you want to study for.
The website owner is a local guy.
Good guy.
Best thing, it's FREE!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#5]
What's going on with testing prices going up soon, and it is possible for a noob to go from zero to licensed before that time?

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:52:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's going on with testing prices going up soon, and it is possible for a noob to go from zero to licensed before that time?

View Quote

Haven't heard on the increase, but if you know where you're going to test you'd be best to call and ask them.
Most places are pretty flexable.
Study BOTH Tech and general.
You can take BOTH tests (assuming you pass tech) for the same price. Trust me, you WANT general.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Looking to find local HAM members to link up with and work on getting my Technician and General license.

I will do the work i jus need pointed in the right direction.

I am located in central jersey Hunterdon County.
View Quote

Ham-cram.com
It is the actual test pool.
If you study, you cant fail.
Edit: FREE
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:03:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ham-cram.com
It is the actual test pool.
If you study, you cant fail.
Edit: FREE
View Quote

Thank you.

I’m looking to meet someone to show me the ins and outs. What Channeks to have and such.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Brother NZT, you let the cat out of the bag!

The US government is warning that groups could rely on radio equipment as an alternative to social media to plan future criminal activities.

In a stark warning Sunday, the Federal Communications Commission's enforcement bureau said people coordinating or conducting criminal activity over radio waves are breaking the law.

"The Bureau has become aware of discussions on social media platforms suggesting that certain radio services regulated by the Commission may be an alternative to social media platforms for groups to communicate and coordinate future activities," the FCC said in its warning Sunday. "Individuals using radios in the Amateur or Personal Radio Services in this manner may be subject to severe penalties, including significant fines, seizure of the offending equipment, and, in some cases, criminal prosecution."

HAM RADIOS
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thank you.

I’m looking to meet someone to show me the ins and outs. What Channeks to have and such.
View Quote

https://www.repeaterbook.com/
Look up your area.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:28:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Brother NZT, you let the cat out of the bag!

The US government is warning that groups could rely on radio equipment as an alternative to social media to plan future criminal activities.

In a stark warning Sunday, the Federal Communications Commission's enforcement bureau said people coordinating or conducting criminal activity over radio waves are breaking the law.

"The Bureau has become aware of discussions on social media platforms suggesting that certain radio services regulated by the Commission may be an alternative to social media platforms for groups to communicate and coordinate future activities," the FCC said in its warning Sunday. "Individuals using radios in the Amateur or Personal Radio Services in this manner may be subject to severe penalties, including significant fines, seizure of the offending equipment, and, in some cases, criminal prosecution."

HAM RADIOS
View Quote

I hear the antifa types been QRM`ing the NYPD.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:31:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:33:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Havent seen him in a year+. no club meetings anymore.
I miss the old guys, like Murray. He had some good stories.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:12:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Urb went SK Friday.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:07:22 PM EDT
[#16]

I am looking  to take my Tech and General test late February.

I am in Somerset  County.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:13:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I am looking  to take my Tech and General test late February.

I am in Somerset  County.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/125818/signal-2021-01-24-204817-1799283.jpg
View Quote

Websearch up a local club.
Everyone here is old, thus quite paranoid of the China virus.
All of the local clubs haven't had in person meetings since last spring. (Ocean county)
You might have to do it online. I have NO info on that.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:34:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I used this for my tech and General

http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/index.html

W2MMD has monthly meetings on Zoom
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:29:34 AM EDT
[#21]
KE2RON here. General, I’ll get my extra soon. I’m in Cape May County.
Ham radio can be a bit overwhelming especially when you are beginning. So many options and so much information. There are multiple resources for studying the material some of which have been noted above. There are youtubers who have a great deal of info, enough to explode your head.
Think of ham radio like firearms: there isn’t one that does everything. Decide what you want out of it and start getting stuff to reach your desired goal, understanding that your taste will likely change as you learn more.
Look for a local club that is active during the current apocalypse and get your tech. Get a cheap radio and start playing with it. My first was a beofeng walk-in talkie, it cost $30ish and it got me started. When you start looking at base stations and everything needed you will be looking at thousands of dollars but you don’t have to start there.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:27:57 AM EDT
[#22]
This  Net is active after 10:00 PM.

It is very new Ham friendly.

Maybe  in the future  we can start a NJHT Net.

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Maybe  in the future  we can start a NJHT Net.

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/9/2021 9:34:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Ahhh the West Orange repeater.
That used to be my neighbor. Mike wa2jsb.
Nice guy, my dad hooked him up @ Prudential many years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top