Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2021 2:03:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: meltdown]
Has anyone else heard about this?

https://go.boarddocs.com/sd/meade/Board.nsf/files/C56PMA56B2EF/$file/RapidCityFirearmRange_01.pdf

Looks like its going to be a massive complex with a little bit of everything.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 3:02:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kit_Karson] [#1]
I have not... but it would be a great addition!

ETA: Appears to be land owned by "7 O Ranch"... what's the odds someone on the commission has some tie there!?
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 6:06:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah it's going to be a bit of a drive from Rapid, North of the intersection of Elk Vale and Elk Creek Road a few miles. Which is cool cause I live out that way.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 9:53:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: luv_the_huskers] [#3]
Cool. My wife and I own a couple of sections a few miles south of there. I am all for anything to increase the sellable value and just happen to promote the shooting sports.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 9:59:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chargerkid5] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BlackHills:
Yeah it's going to be a bit of a drive from Rapid, North of the intersection of Elk Vale and Elk Creek Road a few miles. Which is cool cause I live out that way.
View Quote

Interesting. So near the tilford road intersection? I'd probably never shoot at it because I have my own range but that would be nice for the public to have.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 12:03:14 AM EDT
[#5]
That is the place another customer was telling me about last week at the counter top store. Good for me since I live close by in Summerset.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 7:34:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 10:46:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I hope they will have 2 gun or 3 gun matches.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 9:30:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Word around here is that it's a dead deal.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks like it still has legs (and $5 million) in a bill that passed a senate appropriations committee and now goes to full senate:

Proposed Rapid City Shooting Range gets initial OK
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 12:22:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: meltdown] [#11]
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 11:45:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By luv_the_huskers:
Cool. My wife and I own a couple of sections a few miles south of there. I am all for anything to increase the sellable value and just happen to promote the shooting sports.
View Quote

I hope you go speak in favor of it. One of my good friends and his family own land bordering it and they are vehemently opposed to it and have been very vocal about it from the county to state level. I'm in favor of it. The black hills needs a range like this. But it would do some good for nearby land owners to speak in favor of it so it doesn't seem like all the ranchers are opposed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 10:26:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By chargerkid5:

I hope you go speak in favor of it. One of my good friends and his family own land bordering it and they are vehemently opposed to it and have been very vocal about it from the county to state level. I'm in favor of it. The black hills needs a range like this. But it would do some good for nearby land owners to speak in favor of it so it doesn't seem like all the ranchers are opposed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

So why are your acquaintances against it?
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 12:25:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By pokey074:
So why are your acquaintances against it?
View Quote

They think errant rounds will hit their place or cows. They think a gun range next door will decrease their land value. Though they complain about property taxes so I don't understand that. Basically they're just opposed to living next door to it. Which I don't blame them for that. And I still cherish them as friends. But I disagree with their asserting what someone else should or should not be able to do with their land. And I think a quality range is sorely needed.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:58:47 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I am no longer a land owner there. We just sold all the land in a cash deal.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 8:39:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By meltdown:
more news on the proposed range

Rapid City Journal
View Quote

Great lobbying effort there tell the committee you're going to build it with or without State funds... ok well then go build it yourself and don't ask us to waste taxpayer dollars for it then.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:49:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 5:58:49 PM EDT
[#21]
There is supposed to be a discussion at the meade County commission meeting tomorrow on the range. If you live in the county and can attend in support, please do. If you aren't a resident it wouldn't hurt to send a message to them in support.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top