Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2018 9:06:49 PM EDT
Buddy just sent this to me:

Attempt to ban “assault weapons”

@Miami_JBT
Do you have any info on this communist movement?
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:17:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Buddy just sent this to me:

Attempt to ban "assault weapons"

@Miami_JBT
Do you have any info on this communist movement?
View Quote
Word was that the Gun Grabbers were gonna try this if they lost the elections here in Florida. This is something I expected.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:17:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Crazy Talk, Florida got a state constitutional right to bear arms clause.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's the direct website.

https://www.bawnfl.org
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Does a constitutional amendment trump the state constitution??

State Right to Bear Arms in Florida. Article I, § 8(a) of the Florida Constitution provides: “[t]he right of the people to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves and of the lawful authority of the state shall not be infringed, except that the manner of bearing arms may be regulated by law.”
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Steering Committee

Congressman Ted Deutch, Parkland
Mayor Skip Campbell, Coral Springs

Committee Members

Gail Schwartz, Chair, aunt of Alex Schachter, murdered on 2/14/18 in Parkland
Mayra Alvear, mother of Amanda, murdered on 6/12/16 at Pulse
Patricia Brigham, President of Florida League of Women Voters and former co-chair of Florida Coalition to Prevent Gun Violence
Hon. Paula Dockery, former Republican State Senator from Lakeland, FL
Annika and Mitch Dworet, parents of Nicholas, murdered in 2/14/18 Parkland
Jeffrey Foster, Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School AP American Government teacher, escaped with 30 students
Eden Hebron, student survivor of Parkland shooting, witnessed the murder of three classmates
Debbi Hixon, widow of Chris Hixon, murdered on 2/14/18 in Parkland
Robert W. Kelley, Founding Partner at Kelley/Uustal
Christine Leinonen, mother of Drew Leinonen, murdered on 6/12/16 at Pulse
Philip Schentrup, father of Carmen Schentrup, murdered on 2/14/18 in Parkland
Hon. Philip Shailer, former Republican State Attorney for Broward County, FL
Brandon Wolf, survivor of Pulse

They are paparpapart of ActBlue.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:45:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

State Right to Bear Arms in Florida. Article I,  8(a) of the Florida Constitution provides: "[t]he right of the people to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves and of the lawful authority of the state shall not be infringed, except that the manner of bearing arms may be regulated by law."
View Quote
They would be amending the State Constitution. Much like how the 18th Amendment (Prohibition) was repealed by the 21st Amendment.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:55:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
No, a constitutional amendment IS the constitution (revised)!

The interesting problem for the drafters of any such amendment will be to specifically replace article 1, 8(a) with NEW language...  otherwise the amendment will conflict with 1, 8(a) and a review of the amendment by the Florida Supreme Court would result in the amendment being pulled from the ballot on constitutional grounds...

Should be an interesting 2 years...
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:11:12 AM EDT
[#8]

A constitutional amendment is being proposed for the state’s 2020 ballot that would  ban semiautomatic firearms in Florida. The petition drive and effort is being pushed by a Miami based organization known as Ban Assault Weapons NØW (BAWN) and they have some big names in their corner. A former Republican member of the Florida Senate is part of their committee of course to give it that bipartisan feel.

Their mission statement is simple;

Congress won’t act. The Florida Legislature won’t act. The only way to ban assault weapons like AR-15s and other weapons of war is for the people of Florida to go to the polls and vote. This campaign will place an amendment on the 2020 ballot in Florida to do what our elected leaders refuse to: Ban Assault Weapons NOW.
View Quote
According to the Tampa Bay Times, the group has raised nearly $410,000 since March, while spending almost $284,000, according to finance information. The expenditures included $75,000 last month to a California-based company for what was described in the finance information as “petitions.”

My own research into BAWN shows that they have a lengthy donation record through the Florida Department of State records.

Additionally, they are part of ActBlue. A nonprofit technology organization established in June 2004 that enables Democrats, progressive groups, and nonprofits to raise money on the internet by providing them with online fundraising software. Its stated mission is to “empower small-dollar donors”. Basically it is a Leftist GoFundMe for political causes.

Here is the actual petition.

If this petition gets enough signatures, is placed on the ballot, and passed in 2020. It would make any semi-automatic long gun in Florida with a capacity of ten rounds or more an “assault weapon” and ban them for future sale or possession. Additionally, it would require that Floridians register their firearms with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. Failure to do so or possession after the grace period would be a third degree felony and that would automatically strip Floridians of their Second Amendment Rights. Furthermore, this would also invalidate Florida Criminal Statute 790.335 and 790.336. The prohibition on registration and keeping of lists/records.

Additionally, another more radical ballot measure is being proposed by Stop The Killing. Their goal is to outright ban the ownership of firearms in Florida.  A search of their financial records show that they for the most part haven’t had any support. But their mission statement is plain as day.

To change the Constitution of the State of Florida to include banning the ownership of military style weapons by private persons and restricting the ownership or possession of guns by criminals, habitual law breakers, repeat abusers, and persons who make violent threats to others.
View Quote
The actual petition can be read in full here.

This if passed would basically strip Floridians of any meaningful firearm.

In the end, the Gun Grabbers haven’t quit and even though they didn’t gain control of the Governor’s office. They do have the Commissioner of Agriculture & Consumer Services’ seat and that controls Florida’s concealed carry weapon permit system. And I bet you that incoming commissioner Nikki Freid will use her office as a bully pulpit to support one of these ballot measures.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:20:45 AM EDT
[#9]
in·fringe
/in'frinj/Submit
verb
past tense: infringed; past participle: infringed
actively break the terms of (a law, agreement, etc.).
"making an unauthorized copy would infringe copyright"
synonyms:contravene, violate, transgress, break, breach; More
act so as to limit or undermine (something); encroach on.
"his legal rights were being infringed"
synonyms:restrict, limit, curb, check, encroach on;
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:52:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/1001-1.jpg

A constitutional amendment is being proposed for the state’s 2020 ballot that would  ban semiautomatic firearms in Florida. The petition drive and effort is being pushed by a Miami based organization known as Ban Assault Weapons NØW (BAWN) and they have some big names in their corner. A former Republican member of the Florida Senate is part of their committee of course to give it that bipartisan feel.

https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/1005-1.jpg

According to the Tampa Bay Times, the group has raised nearly $410,000 since March, while spending almost $284,000, according to finance information. The expenditures included $75,000 last month to a California-based company for what was described in the finance information as “petitions.”

My own research into BAWN shows that they have a lengthy donation record through the Florida Department of State records.

Additionally, they are part of ActBlue. A nonprofit technology organization established in June 2004 that enables Democrats, progressive groups, and nonprofits to raise money on the internet by providing them with online fundraising software. Its stated mission is to “empower small-dollar donors”. Basically it is a Leftist GoFundMe for political causes.

https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/1007-1.jpg

https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/1006-1.jpg

If this petition gets enough signatures, is placed on the ballot, and passed in 2020. It would make any semi-automatic long gun in Florida with a capacity of ten rounds or more an “assault weapon” and ban them for future sale or possession. Additionally, it would require that Floridians register their firearms with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. Failure to do so or possession after the grace period would be a third degree felony and that would automatically strip Floridians of their Second Amendment Rights. Furthermore, this would also invalidate Florida Criminal Statute 790.335 and 790.336. The prohibition on registration and keeping of lists/records.

Additionally, another more radical ballot measure is being proposed by Stop The Killing. Their goal is to outright ban the ownership of firearms in Florida.  A search of their financial records show that they for the most part haven’t had any support. But their mission statement is plain as day.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/1008-1.jpg

https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/1009-1.jpg

In the end, the Gun Grabbers haven’t quit and even though they didn’t gain control of the Governor’s office. They do have the Commissioner of Agriculture & Consumer Services’ seat and that controls Florida’s concealed carry weapon permit system. And I bet you that incoming commissioner Nikki Freid will use her office as a bully pulpit to support one of these ballot measures.
View Quote
So are they going to bankrupt themselves compensating FL gun owners for their property? That $410,000 wouldn't even put a dent in some peoples' collections. Lawsuits need to be started now. The thing is, I know of no one other than Miami_JBT who is showing any sort of commitment to countering this movement and no organization that I can participate in that shows any commitment.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So are they going to bankrupt themselves compensating FL gun owners for their property? That $410,000 wouldn't even put a dent in some peoples' collections. Lawsuits need to be started now. The thing is, I know of no one other than Miami_JBT who is showing any sort of commitment to countering this movement and no organization that I can participate in that shows any commitment.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/1001-1.jpg

A constitutional amendment is being proposed for the state's 2020 ballot that would  ban semiautomatic firearms in Florida. The petition drive and effort is being pushed by a Miami based organization known as Ban Assault Weapons NW (BAWN) and they have some big names in their corner. A former Republican member of the Florida Senate is part of their committee of course to give it that bipartisan feel.

https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/1005-1.jpg

According to the Tampa Bay Times, the group has raised nearly $410,000 since March, while spending almost $284,000, according to finance information. The expenditures included $75,000 last month to a California-based company for what was described in the finance information as "petitions."

Additionally, they are part of ActBlue. A nonprofit technology organization established in June 2004 that enables Democrats, progressive groups, and nonprofits to raise money on the internet by providing them with online fundraising software. Its stated mission is to "empower small-dollar donors". Basically it is a Leftist GoFundMe for political causes.

https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/1007-1.jpg

https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/1006-1.jpg

If this petition gets enough signatures, is placed on the ballot, and passed in 2020. It would make any semi-automatic long gun in Florida with a capacity of ten rounds or more an "assault weapon" and ban them for future sale or possession. Additionally, it would require that Floridians register their firearms with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. Failure to do so or possession after the grace period would be a third degree felony and that would automatically strip Floridians of their Second Amendment Rights. Furthermore, this would also invalidate Florida Criminal Statute 790.335 and 790.336. The prohibition on registration and keeping of lists/records.

Additionally, another more radical ballot measure is being proposed by Stop The Killing. Their goal is to outright ban the ownership of firearms in Florida.  A search of their financial records show that they for the most part haven't had any support. But their mission statement is plain as day.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/1008-1.jpg

https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/1009-1.jpg

In the end, the Gun Grabbers haven't quit and even though they didn't gain control of the Governor's office. They do have the Commissioner of Agriculture & Consumer Services' seat and that controls Florida's concealed carry weapon permit system. And I bet you that incoming commissioner Nikki Freid will use her office as a bully pulpit to support one of these ballot measures.
The funding is for their campaign. Not for paying Floridians for their property.

That is up to the State.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#12]
That's sortof what I was getting at. They're campaigning to set the state up for significant financial liability and have raised money for their campaign. I have money, time and expertise that I would donate against this movement if there was an organization that I felt represented direct opposition. I don't think the NRA is very efficient with how they handle their donations and I believe their operations are still stuck in the 1990s.

I believe the correct approach is to simply inform people as to what the left is doing. I watched thousands of people protest against the NRA and guns across my front porch earlier this year. They were enraged and passionate. I don't think there's any changing their minds with facts, but I also think they're a highly organized small subset of the general population that we definitely don't need or want making decisions for us.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 2:09:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Dope is also gaining some serious capital too for their petition.

Regulate Marijuana in a Manner Similar to Alcohol to Establish Age, Licensing, and Other Restrictions

Regulates marijuana (hereinafter "cannabis") for limited use and growing by persons twenty-one years of age or older. State shall adopt regulations to issue, renew, suspend, and revoke licenses for cannabis cultivation, product manufacturing, testing and retail facilities. Local governments may regulate facilities' time, place and manner and, if state fails to timely act, may license facilities. Does not affect compassionate use of low-THC cannabis, nor immunize federal law violations.
View Quote
Campaign Finance Records -  Sensible Florida, Inc.

This will get the Leftist vote out in force. Plus the Presidential Election and the fact that felons now have the right to vote.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#14]
GOOD GRIEF Charlie Brown
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:17:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:56:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Wow the timing could be awful...

2020 presidential election, AWB, and legalized weed?  That ought to get the lefties out to the polls in full force..
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Wow the timing could be awful...

2020 presidential election, AWB, and legalized weed?  That ought to get the lefties out to the polls in full force..
View Quote
I think that Trump should just go ahead and give the wacky weed - take the wind out of their sails on that issue...also would just dumb down their base.

tax the shit out of it and empty out the prisons for the minor offences - then keep on trucking.

Red
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#19]
This is actually not good at all, considering what happened with every single amendment that was on the ballots in the midtems, every single one passed with over 60% of the votes. This "assault weapon" ban would have passed with no issues if it had been on the ballots!
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Patricia Brigham, President of Florida League of Women Voters and former co-chair of Florida Coalition to Prevent Gun Violence
View Quote
So much for the Florida League of Women Voters being nonpartisan.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 9:43:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Before this stupid ballot proposal came out, I was fully in favor of a ballot initiative banning ballot initiatives, no reason we can’t get behind something like that, the Florida constitution needs to be amended to end this direct democracy nonsense, too many ill informed voters out there.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 7:40:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This is actually not good at all, considering what happened with every single amendment that was on the ballots in the midtems, every single one passed with over 60% of the votes. This "assault weapon" ban would have passed with no issues if it had been on the ballots!
View Quote
Negative ghost rider, amendment 1 was not passed (homestead exemption).  It missed by a small percentage.
Having said that, you are correct, it is a scary situation as most voters have zero idea as to what the proposed amendments actually say before voting on them............they only believe what is shown on TV ads instead of actually finding out what an amendment is all about.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 7:59:35 AM EDT
[#23]
We  never seem to have pro-gun stuff like this ever.  I hope there's something in the works to combat this.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 8:03:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Negative ghost rider, amendment 1 was not passed (homestead exemption).  It missed by a small percentage.
Having said that, you are correct, it is a scary situation as most voters have zero idea as to what the proposed amendments actually say before voting on them............they only believe what is shown on TV ads instead of actually finding out what an amendment is all about.
View Quote
Pretty much the only amendment I really wanted to pass (I did vote yes on several) failed, that blew my mind.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
We  never seem to have pro-gun stuff like this ever.  I hope there's something in the works to combat this.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:11:26 PM EDT
[#26]
The ballet amendments are nothing more the mob rule.  Most folks are uninformed useful idiots.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 3:10:48 AM EDT
[#27]
So what group is gearing up to fight this?  I’ve got spare time to help.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 7:13:18 AM EDT
[#28]
There should be an amendment to end this ballot bull shit. Whats ever passed that's been good for any of us? This shits getting out of control.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 7:39:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So what group is gearing up to fight this?  I've got spare time to help.
View Quote
Right now I've spread the word to FL Carry and GOA. Even sent it to NRA. Also Adam Kraut (Supermoose) will be discussing it on his YouTube show, The Gun Collective.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#30]
amending the Florida Constitution based on the most Face Book likes has always been insane.   If this dog's breakfast of a proposal gets on the ballot,  it will pass.  Floridians seem to pass virtually every amendment.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 11:44:18 PM EDT
[#31]
I blame the florida legislature completely for these amendments.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 4:34:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Right now I've spread the word to FL Carry and GOA. Even sent it to NRA. Also Adam Kraut (Supermoose) will be discussing it on his YouTube show, The Gun Collective.
View Quote
Awesome, thanks for the work.  Please let me know if I can be of help.  I used to live in Tallahassee and still have friends up there to crash at if we need to be at the capital.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:23:04 AM EDT
[#33]
The $$$ is for them, not compensating people.  
Their ultimate goal is to have everything banned.
Scenario:  it passes, people say FU I'm not registering s***t, they get caught and convicted (3rd degree felony), now you're a convicted felon, gun rights gone, they win.
At least you'd be able to vote ??
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:45:09 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm on BAWN's email list. Just got this today.

The links in the email lead to ActBlue, a crowdfunding website for Leftist Political Causes.

Link Posted: 12/5/2018 2:09:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#36]
We all need to join this organization to be kept informed, to bleed their mailing budget dry, spam their e-mail and crash their petition signing parties. If we are subversive as hell we can infiltrate them and wreck their movement.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
We all need to join this organization to be kept informed, to bleed their mailing budget dry, spam their e-mail and crash their petition signing parties. If we are subversive as hell we can infiltrate them and wreck their movement.
View Quote
If your gonna go the subterfuge route, why not consider posting this idea to 4chan(/pol in particular) Not too sure if you want that kind of help or not, but that group over there seems to be against anything the left pushes. I wish you guys in FL all the best...lord knows we in VA can expect some kind of trouble from the anti's soon :(
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#38]
And this crap is precisely what you get with a 'Democracy".

And is precisely the circumstance that our founders tried to short circuit with the Electoral College.................less a republican form of government you achieve merely tyranny of the majority.

Fuck 'em all..............Montana is lookin' good.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:58:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If your gonna go the subterfuge route, why not consider posting this idea to 4chan(/pol in particular) Not too sure if you want that kind of help or not, but that group over there seems to be against anything the left pushes. I wish you guys in FL all the best...lord knows we in VA can expect some kind of trouble from the anti's soon :(
View Quote
I'm all for this, but know nothing about 4chan... lol
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:17:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Guess its time to get serious about an 80 lower...
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:20:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Latest email from them this morning.

Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:16:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Guess its time to get serious about an 80 lower...
View Quote
Soon enough all this stuff will be as illegal as a post-86 machine-gun.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 10:56:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Any updates on efforts to fight this from the NRA, GOA, etc.? Also if anyone knows of a way I can pitch in to help the efforts to combat this nonsense, please let me know. More than willing to use my free time and experience. I have a background in public policy.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 11:10:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Any updates on efforts to fight this from the NRA, GOA, etc.? Also if anyone knows of a way I can pitch in to help the efforts to combat this nonsense, please let me know. More than willing to use my free time and experience. I have a background in public policy.
View Quote
I have GOA informed. FL Carry is keeping an eye on this too.

BAWN sent an email out on the 31st. It said the following.

With just hours to go until our year-end deadline, we're still $5,382 short of the $25,000 we need to fund our efforts in 2019. We can only close this gap and have enough to ban assault weapons in Florida if grassroots supporters like you rush an immediate donation.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Has the NRA come out in support of it yet?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 8:32:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Thanks for the update. From the donation amounts, it would appear to me that it is a very small movement. As of right now, i would think this has very little chance of making it on the ballot. Although what does concern me is if it does, people tend to vote yes on amendments without the slightest clue on what they mean. I have serious doubts that an amendment like this could hold up to a challenge in a court, even if it is passed. But, we need to keep monitoring this.

Huge thanks to those of you who have embedded yourself in that orgs email list. I would pop a blood vessel if i had to read that garbage in my inbox.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 8:34:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Thanks for the update. From the donation amounts, it would appear to me that it is a very small movement. As of right now, i would think this has very little chance of making it on the ballot. Although what does concern me is if it does, people tend to vote yes on amendments without the slightest clue on what they mean. I have serious doubts that an amendment like this could hold up to a challenge in a court, even if it is passed. But, we need to keep monitoring this.

Huge thanks to those of you who have embedded yourself in that orgs email list. I would pop a blood vessel if i had to read that garbage in my inbox.
View Quote
That have some serious backers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top