Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2018 2:06:57 PM EDT
BR 97, Pre-Filed for the 2019 session of the General Assembly, would allow a person with a concealed carry license to carry in all places in Ky. with the exception of:
1. Police Stations
2.Sheriffs' offices
3.Court of Justice courtrooms or court proceedings
4.An area of an airport to which access is controlled by the inspection of persons and property

Everywhere else will be OK; bars, schools, colleges and Universities, City Council meetings, Courthouses, and removes the authority of a city to put up "No Concealed Weapons" signs.
BR 97 is sponsored by Rep. Robert Goforth of East Bernstadt.

A similar bill has been introduced by Representative Tim Moore of E-town for the last three years. That bill has gone nowhere.I can find no mention of open carry and how that would be affected for unlicensed people by this bill.

BR 97 can be seen here:
http://www.lrc.ky.gov/recorddocuments/bill/19RS/BR97/bill.pdf
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 3:47:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Thank you for posting this softpoint.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Great! I hope this goes through.  I work in an office where it is illegal to ccw, this would make it legal which would be great!
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:39:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BR 97, Pre-Filed for the 2019 session of the General Assembly, would allow a person with a concealed carry license to carry in all places in Ky. with the exception of:
1. Police Stations
2.Sheriffs' offices
4.An area of an airport to which access is controlled by the inspection of persons and property

Everywhere else will be OK; bars, schools, colleges and Universities, City Council meetings, Courthouses, and removes the authority of a city to put up "No Concealed Weapons" signs.

A similar bill has been introduced by Representative Tim Moore of E-town for the last three years. That bill has gone nowhere.I can find no mention of open carry and how that would be affected for unlicensed people by this bill.

BR 97 can be seen here:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
1. Police Stations
2.Sheriffs' offices

BR 97 can be seen here:
Quoted:
Great! I hope this goes through.  I work in an office where it is illegal to ccw, this would make it legal which would be great!
I hope it passes and you get to carry at work, but this bill does a lot more than that. It does a lot more than the bill from Tim Moore for the last three years. This bill could be the biggest change to concealed carry since it was passed in 1996.

This bill appears to remove the ability of private property owners and lessees to ban concealed weapons on their property. This could be the end of "No Guns" signs on stores and restaurants.

Go to the bill and look at page 22. The bill strikes all of the wording in subsection (17) of KRS 237.110. That wording is about placing signs on private property, banning guns in day care centers and health care centers. All of that wording has been removed. Tim Moore's bill does not do that.

Not only is this a better bill, the sponsor, Robert Goforth isn't carrying all of Tim Moore's stink from last year. When the sexual assault scandal hit last year, 7 Republican members of the House of Rep. tried to get the Republican Speaker of the House, Jeff Hoover expelled from the House. Tim Moore was one of those seven people. They didn't get it done. The House of Republicans was divided into two factions, one pro Hoover one anti Hoover. I had one Representative tell me last year that if Tim Moore had a bill that would cure cancer, he couldn't get it passed, due to the fighting among the Republicans over Hoover. Nobody knows if the Republicans will still be in control of the House after the election and nobody knows if Hoover will be reelected Speaker if they are in charge and nobody knows if Tim Moore will still have some stink on him again this year. Maybe, it will all be "forgive and forget". Robert Goforth has none of that to deal with.

I spoke with Rep. Goforth on Sunday evening. He seems to be a very intelligent and likable person. I think that he intends to put some real effort into this bill.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 2:20:28 AM EDT
[#5]
if you are an uninvited 'guest' on my property and you are armed, your life is in danger.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 2:38:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
if you are an uninvited 'guest' on my property and you are armed, your life is in danger.
View Quote
I can see no connection between this post and the bill BR 97.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#7]
As a true conservative I always support the government telling me what I can and can not do on my private property.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 7:18:44 PM EDT
[#8]
This is great,  thanks for posting
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 6:44:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Preliminary comments about pre-filed and early bills are fun to read. It is a very rare occasion when a bill goes from "pre-filed" status to the Governor's desk and becomes law without any changes in wording and/or intent. Making law is very much an exercise of "give and take". Bills get amended in committee. Bills get amended on the floor. Bills sometimes get rewritten entirely, with every word changed and even the subject matter of the bill different from the original. That is what was done with last year's pension bill and the reason that bill is now being challenged in court.

It is not unusual for a sponsor to give up parts of his bill in order to get the other, more important parts, passed. It is also not unusual to see that same legislator come back the following year and try to get those pieces that he traded away put back in. It is often easier to build support for a bill while part of it is actually law. Small bites are easier to swallow one at a time. Our present concealed carry law has been amended at least 20 times, some years with multiple changes. If the original sponsors of that bill had held out, all or nothing, for the wording we have now, we would have never gotten concealed carry. It was spoon fed to the opposition, year by year.

I would not be surprised to see some changes to BR 97  before the session actually starts, in Jan. I would say the same thing about all of the pre-filed bills. Who knows what any of them will look like when the session gets started. None of this is absolute.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top