Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2021 3:45:52 PM EDT
I know in Tx the value of your trade is deducted from the price of your new car

So if the trade is 30K and the new car is 30k you dont have to pay tax as you already paid it on your trade in I get that

So if trade is 30K and new car is 30K and I take 20K cash back for my trade and use 10K for a down payment is it still 0 tax or do I pay tax on the 20K because I took cash back.

#2 does not sound right but that is what the sales man told me not finance just the floor shlub

thanks
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:16:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Not an expert but I believe you would pay tax on the $20k because that is the net purchase price of the car.  Doesn't matter that they were giving you an equal amount for your trade, you only applied $10k towards the purchase of the new car.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:22:33 PM EDT
[#2]
By tax I assume you mean the sales tax?

I would think you'd pay sales tax on the net purchase price of the vehicle.  If trade in value equals prince of the new (to you) vehicle, the net price is zero so no tax.

If you sell your car for 30 grand, take 20 of in to you, and apply 10 to another car, then net purchase price is the price minus the 10 grand trade in amount.

I've never traded in a car, so just an assumption on my part as to the logic behind what is the taxable amount for sales tax.

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:55:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I know in Tx the value of your trade is deducted from the price of your new car

So if the trade is 30K and the new car is 30k you dont have to pay tax as you already paid it on your trade in I get that

So if trade is 30K and new car is 30K and I take 20K cash back for my trade and use 10K for a down payment is it still 0 tax or do I pay tax on the 20K because I took cash back.

#2 does not sound right but that is what the sales man told me not finance just the floor shlub

thanks
View Quote

If you retained 20K, you only traded in 10K.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 2:36:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Look at the Finance Sheet.

If on the sheet you traded in a vehicle for $30K against a vehicle you purchased for $30K your net sales tax liability = $0

If on the sheet you traded in vehicle for $30K and took out / walked away with $20K cash, you would owe sales tax on the $20K difference in the Purchase between your Trade in ($10K) Vs. your new vehicle ($30K).  That eats up some of the $20K you "cashed out".

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#5]
The only number that matters for taxes is the difference between the vehicle you bought and the vehicle you sold.

How much you took home from the transaction or how much you financed does not matter.

There is a $5.00 minimum for even trades.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#6]
The selling dealer making out a $20k check back to you from your $30k trade-in is no different than the selling dealer making out a $20k check to a bank that had a lien on your $30k trade-in, you still had a $30k trade-in.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 7:02:00 PM EDT
[#7]
So we have people saying both ways lol.

Link Posted: 4/16/2021 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Ya get what you paid for here.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 1:47:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So we have people saying both ways lol.

View Quote

I'm a Texas car dealer.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 3:00:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm a Texas car dealer.
View Quote

well cool then thanks. The floor salesman was a idiot and cost them a sale.

I was offered 2k more than I paid for my 2019 f150xlt my plan was to cash out the 20K I need to finish paying off my house and get a econobox for a few months. till I find a deal on a  higher up package. I still think gas is going to skyrocket and trucks prices will drop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top