Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2022 6:29:33 PM EDT
Hey guys! My mom has applied for her CCW in San Bernardino and has an interview next week. She is looking to add another gun so she’s just not carrying her Glock 19.

She is under the impression since she listed her G19 on her application she can’t add it until next year at her renewal. Is this true? Here in TN we can carry any handgun as long as we’re legal to carry a gun but recall the permits progress being a PITA in CA.

Lastly, I’m gifting her a gun that she will do the online registration for before her interview date. Not expecting any issues but CA is CA.

Thanks for you help guys.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 7:49:59 PM EDT
[#1]
It appears that San Bernardino goes from the firearms listed on the initial application and firearms must be registered to the applicant at time of application.  It doesn't look like they will accept additions except at the 2 year renewal process point.  In their FAQs, they state they won't allow delaying the range date to add additional firearms.  They have contact info for the CCW office on their website so maybe an e-mail to clarify.  It might be worth proceeding with the transfer and getting the registration done and at least having the information available for the interview but I don't know if they would have already verified the info.  The first step in the process is doing the on-line state form and they allow more than three (via adding pages) but think SBDO only goes with three and they may have completed the registration check before the inteview?
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It appears that San Bernardino goes from the firearms listed on the initial application and firearms must be registered to the applicant at time of application.  It doesn't look like they will accept additions except at the 2 year renewal process point.  In their FAQs, they state they won't allow delaying the range date to add additional firearms.  They have contact info for the CCW office on their website so maybe an e-mail to clarify.  It might be worth proceeding with the transfer and getting the registration done and at least having the information available for the interview but I don't know if they would have already verified the info.  The first step in the process is doing the on-line state form and they allow more than three (via adding pages) but think SBDO only goes with three and they may have completed the registration check before the inteview?
View Quote

Man that’s some stupid shit. I appreciate the insight
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 10:47:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hey guys! My mom has applied for her CCW in San Bernardino and has an interview next week. She is looking to add another gun so she’s just not carrying her Glock 19.

She is under the impression since she listed her G19 on her application she can’t add it until next year at her renewal. Is this true? Here in TN we can carry any handgun as long as we’re legal to carry a gun but recall the permits progress being a PITA in CA.

Lastly, I’m gifting her a gun that she will do the online registration for before her interview date. Not expecting any issues but CA is CA.

Thanks for you help guys.
View Quote

Just want to add, the pistol gift will need to go through an FFL, and there will be a 10 day waiting period, so make sure to plan accordingly. Also if the pistol you are gifting is not on the roster you'll need to find an FFL willing to process the transfer as an interstate intrafamilial roster exempt transfer (not all will do this).
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 10:51:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Just want to add, the pistol gift will need to go through an FFL, and there will be a 10 day waiting period, so make sure to plan accordingly. Also if the pistol you are gifting is not on the roster you'll need to find an FFL willing to process the transfer as an interstate intrafamilial roster exempt transfer (not all will do this).
View Quote

I was under the impression that it was just a mail in forum as it’s child to parent?

She was able to add her M&P shield at the time of her interview and can’t add any other guns for 2 years. Hopefully she will be gone from that damn state before then.

Thanks for the help gents
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 1:44:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I was under the impression that it was just a mail in forum as it’s child to parent?

She was able to add her M&P shield at the time of her interview and can’t add any other guns for 2 years. Hopefully she will be gone from that damn state before then.

Thanks for the help gents
View Quote

As far as California is concerned, yes.  But since it's interstate, that won't suffice for the Feds.  Has to go through an FFL, which then means you have to do the CA bullshit (DROS, waiting period, etc.).

I assume you're talking about her CCW permit, since there's no limit on how many guns you can own nor is a license or permit required.  Some issuing authorities are much more relaxed on how many guns you can add to your permit, what kind, and when you can do it (some don't even care if it's registered; it gets registered automatically, anyways, when it gets added to the permit). Sucks to have one that is kinda strict, but it could be worse (the worst ones have caliber limits, limit types of pistols, require it to be on the roster, don't allow any changes from the roster configuration, etc.).

But anyhow, if you send it to an FFL, as was said above, make sure they know how to do intrafamilial transfers.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 5:50:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Just want to add--I believe she will have to physically qualify in front of a certifier/instructor that she is capable of safely using and handling any firearm she wished to add to her license.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top