Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2023 10:50:21 AM EDT
What is up with these Bama republicans?

Attention! Constitutional Carry State Pushing Gun Control!
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 1:50:58 PM EDT
[#1]
They like getting real jobs, if they keep this shit up.

Link Posted: 4/16/2023 10:09:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 12:44:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 12:49:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
HB 12 is dead.

https://www.al.com/news/2023/04/nra-runs-this-building-frustration-boils-over-after-gun-related-provision-killed-by-alabama-house-panel.html
View Quote

Good
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:09:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:45:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rep. Phillip Ensler plans package of gun bills aimed at mental health resources, violence prevention

Rep. Phillip Ensler, D-Montgomery, said Thursday he plans to introduce a package of laws that would create community violence prevention resources and add some restrictions for gun owners with mental health concerns.

Ensler, who is a lawyer, said he believes lawmakers can find ways to curb gun violence without taking away constitutional rights.

“Something I want to make abundantly clear before I get into the specifics of the bills that I’m proposing are that none of this, and I will say it over and over again, none of this infringes on the Second Amendment,” Ensler said. “I also recognize that no one law or 1000 laws can stop every act of gun violence, but as a lawmaker, I have a moral duty to try and pass laws. Yes, there is a need for prayer. There’s a need for addressing issues starting in the home, and of course individual responsibility. But that doesn’t mean that we can’t try to do things and implement measures that have worked in other cities and states.”

Ensler’s proposed bills will address:

Including hospital-based violence intervention programs in the state budget. Experts say such programs have reduce the chance of retaliation following gun violence.

Creating a violence prevention grant through the Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs, where cities and counties could apply for funding to support evidence-based strategies to reduce gun violence. Ensler cited Birmingham’s model as a goal.

Prohibiting people from selling or possessing “ghost guns.” Ghost guns lack serial numbers, usually made up of various parts or kits bought online, which makes them virtually untraceable.

Outlawing Glock switches, bump stocks and other devices that can turn a handgun into an automatic weapon. Ensler said there is currently no state law that allows prosecutors to charge people who use these items. Ensler said the law is similar to one introduced by fellow Rep. Randy Wood, R-Anniston, but differs in technical language. He added that his proposed bill would be structured to align with federal law.

Introducing a red flag law in the House, similar to Sen. Merika Coleman’s bill in the Senate.

A voluntary “do not sell” list — those who know they are struggling can put themselves on a list to prevent purchasing a gun at a different time. Ensler said Utah enacted similar legislation.

Hiring and embedding mental health responders within police departments.

Working with the Department of Education to place mental health counselors in schools, rather than bringing them in in response to a tragedy.

“I will emphasize that none of these laws alone will stop every act of gun violence, but we have a duty to try,” he said.

https://www.al.com/news/2023/04/rep-phillip-ensler-plans-package-of-gun-bills-aimed-at-mental-health-resources-violence-prevention.html
View Quote

At least he recognizes that laws will not stop anything... I mean illegally killing someone is already illegal, so....

As for putting embedding mental health folks... that is dumb in a hot situation. I foresee that as only increasing a body count. If a person is unstable and ready to pop off, they'll just add a counselor (who will be unarmed) into a victim list before the perpetrator is either arrested or shot.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:33:26 AM EDT
[#7]
A novel idea that would make the liberal / democommunist heads explode - introduce firearms familiarization / education classes into the elementary and secondary school curriculums, with emphasis on safety, laws, etc. This program could also identify potential troublemakers.

JMHO, YMMV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top