Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2021 8:22:38 AM EDT
I'm new here, not to his website but to the State of Maine.  We finally have settled in a pretty little mid-coastal town of about 1400 and we are amoungst our peers: pretty conservative which, in itself, is extraordinary for us!  It's an amazing bit of fresh air for us considering that we left Connecticut after fighting for our rights and lower taxes for 40 years.  That's how long the Democrats have RULED Connecticut.  They win, we left.  We figure that moving to this great state is our heavenly reward and plan to enjoy ourselves to the fullest as soon as this virus wanes.  I wanted you to know just a little of our background considering the fact that I'm about to say something that's doesn't include a four-letter word about democrats.

While I haven't read the entire bill yet, it would appear that our democrat governor has offer up a budget that requires no increases in any taxes, pays a chunk into the rainy-day fund, and takes into account the fact that a lot of businesses have not been paying into the system (citizens too) but still balances!   If this is true, God bless her and the legislature.  I did see a couple of Republicans talking about the budget that was proposed and saying essentially the same thing.  

Where I came from (Connecticut) we would be seeing higher and higher taxation. It's already been in the news there. The deficit there is running into the BILLIONS of dollars and there's no place to go except lay it out on the shoulders of the citizens in the form of additional fees and taxes.  

Is it possible that I'm wittnessing, for the very first time, something good happening in the halls of our legislature while not having a majority in the legislatures or executive branch?  Please don't wake me up if it's a pipe dream!  Educate me fellow shooters!

Cabinetman.......I love the snow but don't own a snowmobile...yet!
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:20:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:27:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Is it possible that I'm wittnessing, for the very first time, something good happening in the halls of our legislature while not having a majority in the legislatures or executive branch?
View Quote

No. They already spent a boatload of money that the last administration saved up. They ditched policies that were aimed at getting people off their asses and off of welfare right out of the gate. The state would be much deeper in the hole if not for the federal funds they are raking in.

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#3]
havent looked at it, but assume its only balanced because of covid money, and will start a bunch of spending that will put us in the red as soon as thats gone.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, all, for your replies.  I do know that LePage left a good surplus that was spent.  I was just surprised that Mills' budget didn't go the typical route of spending more.  I had forgotten about the gubmint money, too.  

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:38:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Better fiscal responsibility than Connecticut is a low bar...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top