Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2021 8:03:30 AM EDT
Was told by gunsmith & FFL guy out of state that I can just put my rifle in a box and ship it direct to him.
I do not have to send it via my local VA FFL.
Then he can direct mail it back to me with no FFL on my end involved.
Is this true under the new VA gun laws?

Isn't it illegal to mail firearms through USPS?
I'd have to use UPS or Fed/Ex, correct?

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 8:30:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Gunsmith and FFL are correct…no need to go through FFL to ship long gun.
100% legal to ship long guns through USPS…although you might get some grief from the counter people, but legal.  Pistols need to go through FedEx or UPS, however they are NOT required to go overnight, that is a company requirement.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Like previously stated, completely legal. Since you are not giving or selling the gun to the gunsmith no transfer has taken place so there is no need for an FFL to get involved.

You can ship long guns(not handguns) via USPS but, like previously stated you might get hassled by the counter person.

If you ship via UPS you will need to ship it via your local UPS hub. No other UPS location is authorized by UPS to accept guns. The UPS Store is not UPS and will not even ship gun parts so don't even bother going there to ship a gun.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#3]
YIKES!!!

I'm in the middle of nowhere, my FFL neighbor is two miles down the road . . . and he only charges $22.00.

It would take me all day to drive to the big city UPS or Fed/Ex and back.
Was hoping I could just give it to my pal Jack the UPS guy and be done with it.

Looks like I gotta fill out those forms again some more again!

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 11:02:34 AM EDT
[#4]
You can use your ffl neighbor if it is more convenient, we were just saying you did not have too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 11:11:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can use your ffl neighbor if it is more convenient, we were just saying you did not have too.
View Quote

Yes, I understood you guys.
Too bad UPS & Fed/Ex won't do pickups for this type item.

Thanks for the help guys!
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
YIKES!!!

I'm in the middle of nowhere, my FFL neighbor is two miles down the road . . . and he only charges $22.00.

It would take me all day to drive to the big city UPS or Fed/Ex and back.
Was hoping I could just give it to my pal Jack the UPS guy and be done with it.

Looks like I gotta fill out those forms again some more again!

Thanks guys!
View Quote

What forms are you referring to? You are not transferring the gun to anyone, so no 4473 or SP-65 is needed, either to send the gun or pick it up. Just to be on the safe side, since some FFLs are a bit TOO cautious, you might want to tell the gunsmith doing the work to ship the gun directly back to you, rather than ship it back to your local FFL dealer.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 11:53:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What forms are you referring to? You are not transferring the gun to anyone, so no 4473 or SP-65 is needed, either to send the gun or pick it up. Just to be on the safe side, since some FFLs are a bit TOO cautious, you might want to tell the gunsmith doing the work to ship the gun directly back to you, rather than ship it back to your local FFL dealer.
View Quote

@ conductor

You mean to ship for repairs to an FFL requires no paper work?
The FFL it is going to has said he can ship back to me because it is a repair.
So my FFL does not need to do any paperwork to send it for repairs? Correct?

If so, then I could send it myself through USPS?
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 1:45:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 1:54:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you take it to your dealer to ship, they will log it and ship to the gunsmith.  The gun will come back to your dealer, they will hand it back to you once it arrives. No 4473 required in that case since it is gunsmithing.  

Or you can send it yourself through USPS, no paperwork required.  The gunsmith will ship it back to your door.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@ conductor

You mean to ship for repairs to an FFL requires no paper work?
The FFL it is going to has said he can ship back to me because it is a repair.
So my FFL does not need to do any paperwork to send it for repairs? Correct?

If so, then I could send it myself through USPS?
If you take it to your dealer to ship, they will log it and ship to the gunsmith.  The gun will come back to your dealer, they will hand it back to you once it arrives. No 4473 required in that case since it is gunsmithing.  

Or you can send it yourself through USPS, no paperwork required.  The gunsmith will ship it back to your door.

Thanks! That is what I'll do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top