Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2020 8:36:08 PM EDT
Just had an interview with an agency there, and I'm wondering if I really want to live there.  I don't like hot and humid weather.  So, I don't know if it would be a good fit.

How is the crime, cost of living, nice areas to live, and anything else I should know.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want humid then you want Montgomery not Huntsville. The crime is very low compared to Montgomery and the city of Birmingham. Not as much to do as the Birmingham area and not as stuck up as Montgomery. Beach is less than a day's drive south. It as Larry's for gun stores. Near to Chattanooga and Nashville. Fishing Lake Guntersville. It's Rocket City. Lots of high tech and high IQ's.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Just moved here from GA, and I was stationed in El Paso for a long time and lived across the border in NM. Very humid here just like anywhere in the south compared to where you are coming from. Feels like it rains every other day. The plus side to that is you'll have availability of water sports more than you probably did in NM. Lots of gun stores here, but not as many close outdoor ranges as I would have hoped. The town itself is very nice. Very clean, not much traffic (compared to Atlanta where I came from), lots of amenities, decent schools, and everyone I've met loves it here. Most people I know arent from Alabama but moved here from elsewhere and decided to stay. I'm an engineer and the town's main feature was there are tons of missile/aerospace defense related jobs along with space exploration.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 9:04:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 1:43:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm a transplant to HSV... first visited in 1998, then again in 2006 and fell in love. So I moved here from Colorado and retired from the MIL.

It's hot here, the heat sucks and the humidity doesn't help. Winter is nonexistent, it rains so much you'd think you were living in Seattle.

It's centrally located to Nashville, Chattanooga, ATL, and Destin (FL) within a 3-5 hr drive. Yes, we have a good amount of gun stores but we lack decent gun ranges to shoot on unless you meet someone with land out in the sticks.

Not sure if your "agency" is on the Arsenal but it can be a burden at times, if you live close to it you can get to enjoy the explosions from the ATF Bomb school or the test centers. Traffic around it is a bear during the morning and evening rush. There isn't much offered on base... especially during the beer-flu

I live outside of HSV to the north in Meridianville so my property taxes are great and the area is quiet and zero traffic. The greatest sippin whiskey is a quick 20min drive north with some smaller distilleries in between.

You should visit first because there was a fella on here from WV who visited before accepting a job offer and completely hated the area. Not sure what expectations you have about this place so the ball is in your court
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 5:10:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I have been trying to get here for several years and landed a role on the Arsenal in OCT 2018. I live in Madison. If you have children you want to be in Madison, as it has one of the top 5 school systems in Alabama. I view this part of the country more like southern TN rather than the rest of Alabama. I plan on staying here until I am ready to retire. I will be in Madison until my kids finish school then I am off to the country.

Feel free to IM me as I have a contact that is a realtor.

Come one and join us!

Good air conditioning is essential!
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 7:04:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

AL has this from June through September.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just had an interview with an agency there, and I'm wondering if I really want to live there.  I don't like hot and humid weather.  So, I don't know if it would be a good fit.

How is the crime, cost of living, nice areas to live, and anything else I should know.

AL has this from June through September.

We have 4 seasons here. Almost summer, summer, still summer, and Christmas.

As was already said if you have kids in school you want to be Madison. The schools in the southeast part of Huntsville aren't bad though. The FBI is in the process of moving 5000ish positions here. They are scattered all over Redstone right now, but they are building a new 500,000 sqft facility to house most of them.

Hobbs Island Shooting Range is new and pretty nice. There is one guy in town I trust to do serious work on a gun.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 9:28:56 PM EDT
[#7]
We’ve been know to have to use the a/c on Christmas one year and the next there’s a little snow on the ground.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 9:22:22 AM EDT
[#8]
"I don't like hot and humid weather."

Well...that is the very definition of a Summer, or Spring, even Fall day in the Deep South.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 11:13:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
"I don't like hot and humid weather."

Well...that is the very definition of a Summer, or Spring, even Fall day in the Deep South.
View Quote

LOL. There's  3 days in the spring and 3 days in the fall that are perfectly comfortable.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 2:48:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
JI don't like hot and humid weather.  .
View Quote

Everybody I have known and worked with over the last 40 years who moved here from other parts of the country with different weather patterns either adapts to it and is not so annoyed by our hot and humid weather after a year or two, or they leave at some point.  The truth of our weather is not going to change.
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 1:00:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Love it except for the "valley of sickness/death" pollen issues from time to time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top