Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2021 6:59:10 PM EDT
My brother and I inherited the family farm a few years back.  Looking to divide the property between us but the back part doesn’t have road access because of a creek.  Creek is approximately 8-10 feet deep in parts and about that wide.  (These are my guesses.) I’m trying to find a couple of companies that might be able to give me an estimate for what it would cost to build a year round all weather bridge.  If I end up with the back end I’m either going to have to build the bridge or sell the property.  I refuse to have to cross someone else’s property to get to mine.  Can I get recommendations for companies that could give me an estimate on what would be needed and what it would cost? If you’ve had to have a bridge put in I’d appreciate any suggestions on what to look for or what to avoid.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 7:07:19 PM EDT
Me?  Me!

I make bridges out of railcars.  Send me a PM and we'll talk
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 7:10:28 PM EDT
"Love can build a bridge"
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 12:01:42 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FAIL-SAFE:
Me?  Me!

View Quote

This, was going to post, who is that rail car bridge guy...
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 12:03:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 12:51:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By buckshot_jim:

I heard good stuff about you last weekend from a man/member I trust.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By buckshot_jim:
Originally Posted By FAIL-SAFE:
Me?  Me!

I heard good stuff about you last weekend from a man/member I trust.

Aw gawrsh...

We may be putting a bridge in in Fairfield this Tuesday, if anyone wants to stop by.  I say "may" because I know I am delivering it, and I know we are offloading it, but as I am not the contractor, I do not know what they are doing after offload.  I believe they are going to run it across the cree though.  It's an 85' flatcar.  It'll be replacing a poorly installed culvert made from two fuel tanks welded together.

Link Posted: 7/23/2021 1:12:35 PM EDT
You know, depending on the width of the crossing and what kind of water flow the creek has, another possibility is a tankcar culvert.  They work well and are cheaper than flatcars, but they come with a caveat; a big enough flood will kill them if they arent installed properly.  

To install them properly they need headwalls made of either concrete or thick steel plates that extend into the banks.  The headwall, the banks, and the creek bed serve to form a "box" and you fill in with dirt, rip-rap rock, and gravel the top it with asphalt or concrete.  

I dont have any pictures of my own, but I pilfered this one off the web.  Note: these have half headwalls.  Maybe they work.  I prefer full headwalls.  I am not a fan of this particular project, but I am not one to criticize other folks.

Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:30:53 PM EDT
Fail-Safe I’ll send you a PM.  I’m really guessing on the width and depth because I actually haven’t seen the creek in some time.  It’s all grown up on the banks and with my back and knee problems it’s difficult for me to get to it.  Rail car may work but the other type of bridge you have pictured won’t.  Already been tried.  Washed away. This creek is normally very gentle but with a good hard rain it can really get ripping. It’s gone out of its banks a few times so the road from the county road to the bridge and bridge to a point above the flood plain will probably have to be raised so it’s truly a year round bridge.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 10:11:31 PM EDT
A flatcar bridge will last past the rapture.  They are just expensive up front.  In a strategic sense, they will save you big money.  

But will go over that on the phone, because discussing prices here might constitute a no-no from Mojo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top