Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2018 10:28:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 9:43:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Carry it and don't be a fool...

Can't carry in k-12 schools (must be locked in car out of sight if at a school), can't carry in a jail etc. Carry in bars ok, carry while intoxicated isn't explicitly prohibited but is not a good idea, not required to notify LE, nothing special about car carry... all-in-all, other than no constitutional carry we're likely the most carry-friendly state in the country.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 11:24:58 AM EDT
[#2]
You don't need to know our carry laws, you need to know yours.  Indiana law says that an out of state visitor with a valid LTCH/etc. will follow the laws of their issuing state.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 11:21:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You don't need to know our carry laws, you need to know yours.  Indiana law says that an out of state visitor with a valid LTCH/etc. will follow the laws of their issuing state.
View Quote
Just to clarify, IIRC the exact language is "according to the terms thereof" or something like that, which is often argued by legal experts that beg the question just what does that mean?

The safest interpretation I've heard is as follows: That the terms of the license in the issuing state must be followed. If it says right on the license that it is for concealed carry only that is a term of the license and must be adhered to even though IN permits OC. Furthermore, the terms of the license do not absolve one from following IN state laws. I think if Texas law permits one to carry into a K-12 school and somebody comes to IN and carries into one (presumably getting caught) the LEOs and DA/PA aren't going to say, "oh, he's from TX, he only has to abide by the laws in TX because of that pesky clause in the Indiana Code."

Now, don't paint me as a bad guy. I'm not a lawyer, I also used to tell people they had to follow the laws of their state. Then a lawyer pointed out that "terms" doesn't mean the same thing as "laws" and that it's a dangerous recommendation to tell somebody they don't have to follow IN law because of that clause. There is no court case that I know of that tested the meaning of that clause, I wouldn't want somebody to be that test-case based on info given here...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top