Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2021 2:56:13 PM EDT
Hit me up if so.  IM is fine, whatever.  

I think that stuff might be hard to come by there,  and I’ll bet our big boxes have plenty.   Not sure how delivery would go, but parts will go in a USPS priority box.   I did some sharkbite to copper and pex a couple years ago and it’s still working.   I can probably get most anything you need.
We can afford to do a couple hundred bucks worth.

Good luck guys.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:14:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I think that stuff might be hard to come by there,  and I’ll bet our big boxes have plenty.   Not sure how delivery would go, but parts will go in a USPS priority box.   I did some sharkbite to copper and pex a couple years ago and it’s still working.   I can probably get most anything you need.

Good luck guys.
View Quote

Awesome offer.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:38:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Good luck guys.
View Quote

I don't need anything, but I do have a question.  I have to double check my house, but many houses in my neighborhood were built with Kitec plumbing.  If I do have any failures, I want to replace the Kitec with standard PEX and shark bite connections.  Are there Kitec to PEX adapters out there now?

And thanks for your offer, I'm sure you're right, that plumbing supplies will be scarce for a while.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't need anything, but I do have a question.  I have to double check my house, but many houses in my neighborhood were built with Kitec plumbing.  If I do have any failures, I want to replace the Kitec with standard PEX and shark bite connections.  Are there Kitec to PEX adapters out there now?

And thanks for your offer, I'm sure you're right, that plumbing supplies will be scarce for a while.
View Quote

Man I don’t know.  I’m a master electrician and a homeowner plumber.   I did replace my frost proof hose bibs a couple years and was able to just cut off my 1/2” copper and use pex/sharkbite and it was stupid easy.    All my plumbing is in a decent crawl space so access is not bad.    I’m pretty sure sweating copper fittings is superior, and I’ve done that too, but so far I am liking the quick connection stuff.   I’ve only used the sharkbite brand.

I’m not even sure if the compression/sharkbite stuff is legit to put behind drywall, but it works for me in my app.  

I’m just wanting to help some way.  I’ll cover the cost till I can’t , then you guys can just pay whatever you can.

On that note,  be specific with parts needs.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Sigh, I have my own plumbing needs but they aren't critical (yet).  I also have a small number of 3/4" PVC slip fittings if anyone has an emergency need.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:04:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:39:11 AM EDT
[#6]
That’s very generous, thank you.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:28:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m heading out for parts now to ship, least I can do.

If the supply situation is as bad as I think, try and get your hands on some lengths of pex/copper/whatever now.    Not sure how I could ship 10’ lengths of anything.

@hollowhandle I need your shipping info.  ETA never mind, it just showed up!
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#8]
This was a very rare event down there.   I’m not sure how to prevent future damage but if I was having to tear out walls to make repairs the electrician in me would be installing some heat tape under pipe insulation.  The male cord end of the trace would be accessible, but probably in a single gang box covered with a blank cover.   Definitely not code compliant and of no help when you lose power for long.   Pipe insulation should help some without heat trace.

Just thinking here.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:04:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This was a very rare event down there.   I’m not sure how to prevent future damage but if I was having to tear out walls to make repairs the electrician in me would be installing some heat tape under pipe insulation.  The male cord end of the trace would be accessible, but probably in a single gang box covered with a blank cover.   Definitely not code compliant and of no help when you lose power for long.   Pipe insulation should help some without heat trace.

Just thinking here.
View Quote

What is the "code" method of adding heat tape to pipes inside a wall?
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What is the "code" method of adding heat tape to pipes inside a wall?
View Quote

I don’t think that would meet any code burying heat tape in a wall.  
Fire hazard when left unattended, small chance, but a chance.
It does not get hot in the lower wattage residential types, just warm so putting pipe insulation over the heat traced pipe would be needed.
Just pipe insulation *might* do it.

Just what I would do, not what you should do.   I’ve installed and supervised miles of that stuff on gas process piping, under insulation.  No fires yet.

You guys got hit with the event of the century.  Even in my place, built for extreme cold, I would have problems if I lost gas/power.
Your event has me buying a second genset and spare 20lb propane tanks.

Hopefully the power/gas plants there prepare better for the next time, that is the best hope for keeping stuff going.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:30:41 PM EDT
[#11]
If you have a 1/2" end cap, compression, slip, sharkbite, within 2 hrs of Houston, shoot me a PM.  

Edit.  Sorted. All modern conveniences restored.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:37:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes there is a kitec adapter. More than likely you'll have to go to a plumbing supply house to find it. Kitec is one of the worst plumbing industry failures in the last 30 years.

ETA- if it's 1/2" I believe you can just go straight to a viega pex crimp ring fitting. 3/4" and up you will need the adapter. They're not cheap either.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:30:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
if I was having to tear out walls to make repairs the electrician in me would be installing some heat tape under pipe insulation.  The male cord end of the trace would be accessible, but probably in a single gang box covered with a blank cover.   Definitely not code compliant and of no help when you lose power for long.   Pipe insulation should help some without heat trace.

Just thinking here.
View Quote

If you're at the point where tearing out walls is under consideration...PEX seems to have pretty decent resistance to freeze damage.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If you're at the point where tearing out walls is under consideration...PEX seems to have pretty decent resistance to freeze damage.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
if I was having to tear out walls to make repairs the electrician in me would be installing some heat tape under pipe insulation.  The male cord end of the trace would be accessible, but probably in a single gang box covered with a blank cover.   Definitely not code compliant and of no help when you lose power for long.   Pipe insulation should help some without heat trace.

Just thinking here.

It's also a lot less work to re-do a house with, too.  Pull it like wiring, and just leave the old tubes in place.

For spot repairs it's not worth the cost of the sharkbite fittings, though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 5:13:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Try to avoid shark bite fittings on plastic tubes. Especially plastic that's not secured in the walls. The wiggling will eventually loosen the fitting. The copper ring crimps hold up the best, the stainless irrigation style are most likely to leak. Swaging is the one I've never found leaking

Pex pipe is freeze resistant however it does push fittings out on occasion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top