Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2021 8:36:30 PM EDT
We will need to purchase a new central AC for the house before it gets too warm this year.  Our Trane is really old and has to be replaced.  I live in Pflugerville and could use advice on where to shop for having this done.

2050 square foot, single level house.  What kind of cost are we looking at?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:24:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Been a few years for us, but I had a system installed by Stans. Good clean work done and solid install. Have had zero issues with the 2 speed carrier unit installed. House is a tad smaller than yours, but we got it installed for about $5k and got a tax break from the feds for it. Mid-summer the 2 speed is awesome because the turbo kicks in during late hot afternoons when you really need the boost.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:08:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a 3.5 ton 16 seer unit installed in December for 10,300. I went with a Lennox. House is 1900 SQFT single story.

There Smart Wifi Thermostat is $800.......

NMG
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:17:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a 3.5 ton 16 seer unit installed in December for 10,300. I went with a Lennox. House is 1900 SQFT single story.

There Smart Wifi Thermostat is $800.......

NMG
View Quote

WTF?  Really?  Did you competitive quotes?  That is outrageous.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:54:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

WTF?  Really?  Did you competitive quotes?  That is outrageous.
View Quote

Yes sir, got a few. I am in DFW.

I did get one quote cheaper for a similar unit, I didn't like the company as much though. The company that did my install left everything perfect.

They even replaced the concrete slab under my outside unit. The old slab was an inch to small according to manufacture specs so they replaced. I also had to have electrical work done because the unit was slightly larger.

The same company offered a 14 seer unit for $8500. I chose to have a slight upgrade.

I also hard several repair quotes come in between 5K and 7K on my old unit. outside fan, coils, blower motor, and electrical contacts were burning on the old.

NMG

Edited to add I could have saved $800 dollars if I kept my Google Nest thermostat, the new one does a lot more cool stuff though.

ETA#2 A different company wanted 18k or 22k depending on 3.5 ton or 4 ton and 22 or 24 seer. The company I went with said they would do a 4 ton 24 seer for 18K to price match. I didn't feel like I needed that big of an upgrade. Our electrical bills are noticeably lower. Also, I got 10 year parts and labor warranty instead of 5 offered by other companies.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:16:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Sent PM
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:33:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:33:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
From the DIY Forums: So You're Replacing Your HVAC System?
View Quote

Was going to link to this. ZW knows his shit, and is as honest about the ins and outs/costs of it as anyone I've ever met. Read every word of that. (he installed the full systems on my house, my mom's house, and I helped him on numerous installs).

Especially the "what to ask your salesmen part"....if they don't do a heat loss/heat gain survey, fucking run. ESPECIALLY in Texas, where improper sizing can absolutely ruin your new investment.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the input.  Any others in the Austin area?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top