Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2018 6:44:45 PM EDT
I retire around the end of May and the family is looking at Lake Wales. Will be a big change for us weather wise. Need info on deer season. What is legal calibre's for rifle season? Is Hunter orange required? Daily bag limits ECT.
Anything cool to do in that area besides Disney? How's the job market? I'll need a simple part time job to keep me from going cabin crazy.
Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Deer hunting in Florida is much different than the biggest part of the US. The deer are much smaller and not as plentiful. I am not a hunter, but have lived here my whole life. I am originally from Polk county and have a lot of family in LW. It is a rather small community. I am sure that there are jobs to be found....but your search might not bring much to your liking. Even Disney is an hour + away. Especially considering traffic. LW is a bit remote. Lots of smaller communities nearby, Bartow, Sebring, Winter Haven is a bit larger. Still a good 1/2 hour away. Housing will be a bit cheaper than a larger nearby town. Definitely cheaper than Orlando. It is a decent, friendly town.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:17:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Deer hunting in Florida is much different than the biggest part of the US. The deer are much smaller and not as plentiful. I am not a hunter, but have lived here my whole life. I am originally from Polk county and have a lot of family in LW. It is a rather small community. I am sure that there are jobs to be found....but your search might not bring much to your liking. Even Disney is an hour + away. Especially considering traffic. LW is a bit remote. Lots of smaller communities nearby, Bartow, Sebring, Winter Haven is a bit larger. Still a good 1/2 hour away. Housing will be a bit cheaper than a larger nearby town. Definitely cheaper than Orlando. It is a decent, friendly town.
View Quote
The job search will be easy. I'm just looking for something to get me out of the house so the wife doesn't kill me.

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:55:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Plan on renting for the first year we're there. Any good places to search for rentals other than Craigslist?
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I live right outside Lake Wales and it’s nice place, I’ve been looking for property out that way, jobs will very, they do have a Walmart so there not that backwoods, lots of retired people just south of the city, east is river ranch then Kissimmee river chain for great fishing also lots of fish camps close like cherry pocket or macs, and then there’s bok tower and Kissimmee state park. Hunting is definitely different, I’ve come across probably 4 to 5 times the hogs than I have deer and the deer are smaller. It’s a nice slow town if your looking to just take it easy, work will probably have to drive a little bit if your looking for anything outside of service industries, hope to that helps
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top