Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2020 8:44:44 PM EDT
Background:

I'm in software/cloud product management and can pretty much work from anywhere, but I'd prefer to be close to a city that has decent software/cloud development. My focus has been cyber security software for the past 10+ years, but I'm comfortable PM'ing other technologies. I know the Bay Area (CA), Atlanta, Boston and Austin would be the best spots for me, but I don't want to move the family to any one of those places (I grew up in Atlanta, 25 years there).

Wife works in procurement and can also pretty much work from anywhere.

Son is 5 years old.

We're active and like to do outdoor things. Wife likes to do triathlons, 10k runs, half marathons, etc.

I've been eyeballing the Jacksonville area. Primarily, the eastern outer part of Jacksonville east of I-295, South of Mt Pleasant Rd and North of Hwy 202.

We'd like to be in a low crime neighborhood that has families with younger children and close to private Christian schools. Ideally, one of those neighborhoods that has the cool country clubs or water parks that the community seems to build around.

I'd bring +2 red votes and +1 future red vote.

I don't think things bode well for the future of where we live now (Washington state) and I want to be amongst the first to leave, if the 1st half of 2021 goes as expected from a legislative and Inslee/coronavirus standpoint.

I haven't considered other FL cities yet, but would be interested in what FL residents have to say.

Thanks for any that can help!
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:40:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in the southern end of clay county.... Clay touches duval/Jacksonville, but I'm not familiar with the area you mentioned. Hopefully others that are will be along soon!
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 11:00:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Those types of jobs are not really like other areas.  You will find some work, but it's not like a booming thing in FL.  Not likely to find much outside of bigger FL cities. Jacks is one, Tampa, Orlando, further south those jobs pick up but I don't recommend living there. Miami, Ft Lauderdale, West Palm.
The pay scale will be lower in FL.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 1:34:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Check out St Johns County. Just outside of Jax, good schools, a ton of family oriented neighborhoods with amenities, and lots of fellow red voters.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 8:06:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you looking for employment or are both of you able to keep your current jobs even when you move to FL?

Do you need an airport with decent connections?  (I'm in software and until COVID flew almost every week to client locations.)

Personally, I dislike the big cities (Miami, Jacksonville, Tampa, Orlando) as too congested, but if you are getting new jobs those are obviously the best bet.

I find the panhandle/northern FL still too far north.  It can actually freeze there!

Gulf coast has lousy surf and is heavily country club/golf course/retirement area (I avoid HOAs).  Also can have a sinkhole problem.  Be aware of that issue in some parts of FL.

Inland Florida tends to be the cheapest land (want your own range?).  However, it also tends to be hotter/muggier due to not having the ocean breezes.  The surf is also worse than the Gulf Coast.  Living in/adjacent to one of the big parks is nice access to them and means nobody is building next to you.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 8:34:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Check out Ponte Vedra Beach. Best areas are just south of 202.

A bit north, but Fernandina Beach is another nice little town.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 9:35:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Haven't been in the J'ville area in a long time.  I worked by the Duval / St. Johns  county line.
I always like the beaches area.  Neptune, Jax beach.
South side and Mandarin were nice then.  Mandarin more so.  Close to the 295 loop and I95.
Orange Park is another alternative.  You can pay your respects to Ronnie Van Zant, ect. ( at least his mausoleum.  They moved his body years ago.)
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you looking for employment or are both of you able to keep your current jobs even when you move to FL?

Do you need an airport with decent connections?  (I'm in software and until COVID flew almost every week to client locations.)

Personally, I dislike the big cities (Miami, Jacksonville, Tampa, Orlando) as too congested, but if you are getting new jobs those are obviously the best bet.

I find the panhandle/northern FL still too far north.  It can actually freeze there!

Gulf coast has lousy surf and is heavily country club/golf course/retirement area (I avoid HOAs).  Also can have a sinkhole problem.  Be aware of that issue in some parts of FL.

Inland Florida tends to be the cheapest land (want your own range?).  However, it also tends to be hotter/muggier due to not having the ocean breezes.  The surf is also worse than the Gulf Coast.  Living in/adjacent to one of the big parks is nice access to them and means nobody is building next to you.
View Quote

Good questions. I can take my current job with me. I've always been remote as a product manager and have 11 years of strong results to prove it. My wife might be able to, we aren't sure yet. She wouldn't like the long distance office disconnect, if her company ever goes back to the office...they just pushed the date back to Fall 2021.

Airport - I'd like to be close to a major one. I know JAX would always connect up in Atlanta. Maybe MCO would be better, say for jumping to the Caribbean or Mayan Riveria.

I've been trying to sell her on her opportunity to swim/tennis/be outdoors year round.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 3:23:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:41:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I dont believe a hurricane has ever hit JAX either, so there's that...
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 10:48:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I’m considering the Jacksonville area. Does anyone know anything about ICI builders and their Tamaya community?
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 12:46:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Went through the same analysis and decided upon an affluent suburb of Jacksonville. Why?

- Close to airport, with rumored routes to LAX in 2022
- Close to beach (with waves to surf)
- Close to city, jobs, restaurants, shopping
- Great schools in St. Johns, strong athletic programs
- Close to city/industry, with banking and health care being the two biggest industries. Two industries that are high paying and highly skilled (read: better neighbors).
- Low taxes
- Solidly republican voting base

I was also scouting Sarasota, but found that many of the best schools were either magnet schools or subject to redistricting. White sands sound nice, but I like to surf.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 3:13:53 PM EDT
[#12]
But have you considered the most important question?  Is there a good range for shooting where you are planning to move?
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#13]
If you are willing to move into Federal Civil Service, you should look on the panhandle.  Check USA Jobs for cybersecurity  positions at PNAS, Hurlburt Field, Eglin AFB, Tyndall AFB........
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 9:05:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you are willing to move into Federal Civil Service, you should look on the panhandle.  Check USA Jobs for cybersecurity  positions at PNAS, Hurlburt Field, Eglin AFB, Tyndall AFB........
View Quote

Are they looking for product management types or more like operations and analysts?

I like to build the products that make NetOps/SecOps & Analysts’ jobs easier.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:06:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks like right now the FAA and VA are the hot spots for hiring in FL.  Go to
USAJobs and enter Cybersecurity it will give you choices of hands on (INFOSEC) and management (Technical Director).

If you want to apply for a Federal Job, PM me.  I started out as an IT geek and ended up as the Senior IT Project Manager at CDC HQ in ATL.  I was hiring civil service employees for my last 15 years.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I think I am liking the master communities in the St Johns county area.

Anyone live in one of these communities?
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 7:52:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think I am liking the master communities in the St Johns county area.

Anyone live in one of these communities?
View Quote

There’s a lot of them down here, most with a ton of amenities. Nocatee, Rivertown, Shearwater, Silverleaf are all still building new construction. Durbin, Julington Creek Plantation, Celestina, Aberdeen, are all developed for the most part by now. There’s probably 20 new neighborhoods being built right now in the CR 210/N St Johns area.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:49:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I live in Southern Clay and travel to my office in Jax daily.

Have several friends who live in Nocatee, Julington Creek, Rivertown etc.

All of St. Johns is booming.   Jacksonville is changing politically, and most people have moved to St. Johns, Clay, and Nassau. The majority of the upper end neighborhoods are very active with plenty to do for kids and families.  The schools are great too.  Tons of restaurants and shopping.  St. Johns is close to the water, whether it be the intercostal or the ocean.  All of my friends areas are much busier than where I live, but they are building houses left and right, and every cow pasture around me is in the process of being developed.

I’m born and raised in Jax.  The airport has direct flights to most major cities as well.  I did Delta direct to NYC and Boston last year.

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:36:09 AM EDT
[#19]
We moved down here 1.5 yrs ago so I can go to Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville for heart/lung  transplant. Moved farther down I95 near St. Augustine, lower end of St. Johns.

Nocatee/ 210 area is nice. Some homes are stacked on each other and the area is booming with home construction.  Your price range with homes will also guide you. In Green Cove they are building a highway to connect to I10 future growth there.

Have St.Johns river is a nice area also. Lots to choose from. Fruitcove south along 13 or 16.

I'm off of SR207/  St. Augustine exit.  For me I wanted to live close to the country but quick access to Mayo, 35 minutes drive in the morning.  Building down here is booming also. Two subs going in with over 2000 homes. New Baptist hospital at 207/95.
going in.

For range time, 3 outdoor ranges up to 400 yards,indoor range in Palatka.  

Have any questions let me know.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:57:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't,  its already overinflated here, youll be buying at the top. Most likely pay double what a decent home is worth
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:02:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Don't,  its already overinflated here, youll be buying at the top. Most likely pay double what a decent home is worth
View Quote

Thing is, we can afford a $400k-$600k house, easily.

I hate to say this, but FL is going to be getting a huge influx of people over the next few years.

The fallout from the lockdown states is going to resonate for a long time.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:25:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Nocatee or the in progress Beachwalk sounds like what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:35:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Check our San Marco in Jax
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top