Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2020 3:09:02 PM EDT
My daughter will be attending grad school at the University of Delaware this year. They want to her start working in the lab this June
Due to covid19 we cant go and preview the area and view apartments. Any places to stay away from? She's a quiet girl and not into partying.
She wants to live alone with no roommates. Needs to be semi pet friendly for her snake

She seems to be leaning towards renting at Thorn Flats
https://galmangroup.com/property/thorn-flats/

Any advice is appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 9:45:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Thorn Flats themselves aren't terrible (they just change their name every few years), but the complex backs right up to the biggest shithole neighborhood in Newark proper, Madison Drive.

One Easton would probably the nicest (and newest) apartment complex directly around campus, but even they are all 2-bedroom  Most of the new construction is 3+ bedroom.

If she's going to have a car, looking outside the City of Newark (but still Newark mailing addresses, 19702 or 19713 zip codes, not 19711) is probably your best bet.  St. Andrews is the shangri-la of apartments around here and are about a 15-20 minute drive, but can be pricey.  I'm overall satisfied with Glen Eagle Village, as well (lived here for 13 years).

I may or may not work for the University PD; feel free to shoot me a PM with any questions you may have.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 9:56:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thorn Flats themselves aren't terrible (they just change their name every few years), but the complex backs right up to the biggest shithole neighborhood in Newark proper, Madison Drive.

One Easton would probably the nicest (and newest) apartment complex directly around campus, but even they are all 2-bedroom  Most of the new construction is 3+ bedroom.

If she's going to have a car, looking outside the City of Newark (but still Newark mailing addresses, 19702 or 19713 zip codes, not 19711) is probably your best bet.  St. Andrews is the shangri-la of apartments around here and are about a 15-20 minute drive, but can be pricey.  I'm overall satisfied with Glen Eagle Village, as well (lived here for 13 years).

I may or may not work for the University PD; feel free to shoot me a PM with any questions you may have.
View Quote

Thanks for the feedback. She does have a car but doesn't like driving in any sort of traffic. We live in a small town in CT (16,000 people) and she went to college in maine.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:24:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure what your CT traffic is like, but traffic down here is nothing like where I grew up in NJ.

"Lehigh Flats" is run by the same company as Thorn Flats, but is on the "right" side of the street and doesn't have anywhere near as many problems.

Unfortunately with most of the walk-able-to-campus apartments, they rent out for the next school year back in December/January.

Colonial Gardens is definitely walk-able, and nice enough without too much of a party atmosphere.

Apartments at Pine Brook isn't walk-able, but is on UD's shuttle bus route (when they're running during normalcy; during the COVID-19 shutdown they've all been suspended).  Also nice enough without much partying.

Both of those appear to currently have 1-bedroom vacancies or will in the near future, but 1-bedroom apartments are definitely scarce in the immediately campus-adjacent area.  She may need to occupy a 2-bedroom by herself, or accept having a roommate.  

Places4Students is where the University sends graduate students looking for housing, might be worth checking out.

I can definitely say that the University is down to an absolute minimum as for people they're allowing on campus due to the Corona panic.  I'd have your daughter reach out and make absolutely sure they want her on campus now; all regular summer classes are going remote-learning, but there are still a small number of research/labs operating.

Note that I put those links in there, so they should be safe to click.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#4]
She's going to be working in the research lab. They asked her to start June 1
What makes the 19711 zip code so bad?
She likes these apartments https://www.christinamillapts.com
I'm trying to get her into the reserve at forest gate https://www.liveforestgate.com/

Thanks for all your help
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Just moved back up to DE after 8+ years in FL.  Grew up around here.  I wouldn’t go anywhere near Madison Ave.  I’ve seen the very worst break out there, and I mean that.

Good luck with everything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top