Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2020 7:43:14 PM EDT
Anyone able to recommend someone well versed in threading AK barrels?  I thought about getting the threading kit from CNC, but at the same time I'd only have one shot to get it right and paying someone more capable might be the way to go.

I'm in the metro.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:46:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone able to recommend someone well versed in threading AK barrels?  I thought about getting the threading kit from CNC, but at the same time I'd only have one shot to get it right and paying someone more capable might be the way to go.

I'm in the metro.
View Quote

Might want to consider sending it off to John Thomas at RetroArms Works. He does amazing work and he's fast. I've used him before and he's highly recommended.

RetroArms Works
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 3:59:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I’ve had lots of work done by him in the past.  He is good.  I’d rather not ship the whole gun though so that’s why I was hoping to find a local place or somewhere at least within a decent driving distance.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 11:47:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Hello
You could call and as Jim Kobe if that is in wheelhouse
he is in south Bloomington
952-884-6031
Or give
Craig out in Delano a call?
(612) 860-7697
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 11:23:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the names.  May I ask their qualifications/background?  I don't recognize the names.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 1:49:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Both are good otherwise I would not have pitched their names as resources for you deal with directly. They are local options that is what you wanted.

The other in state option is Jim Pixley up in the Pelican Rapids area.  He does some very nice work too.
23 7th Ave Ne
Pelican Rapids, MN 56572
Phone: 218-863-5293

ONLY you can decide if you want to deal with them.

Otherwise there are plenty of places to ship to.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the names.  May I ask their qualifications/background?  I don't recognize the names.
View Quote

Qualifications and background would be great things to ask these guys about when you call them.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Ah, yes, threading SAR-1 barrels.  I remember doing two of those years ago after the AWB of '94 expired.  There were people on here renting out threading kits that were passed around from member to member.  One guy used it, then he dropped it in the mail to the next guy on the list.  It was super easy to do and I had my two rifles done in about 20 minutes or so.

Good luck in whatever you end up doing.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:15:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I recently had an AR barrel threaded by Kevin at Village Pine Custom Gunsmithing in Hugo.  Took awhile but he did a nice job for a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Pixley noted above is the guy you want.  I called Kobe last year about threading a barrel and he told me he doesn't thread barrels  
So I took the work to Pixley. 1 day turn around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top