Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2021 3:38:24 PM EDT
Anyone recommend a NOVA security installer - like the ones businesses use?  I had a car vandalized (tire slashed) and my Ring floodlight cam right on top of the car never sensed motion.

Sensitivity was at the recommended setting.  I moved it to max just now.

Car on the left (Civic) had it's passenger front tire slashed, camera was worthless.  Example screenshot to show you where the current camera is, and why it should have captured it.

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 3:50:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Make sure they are DCJS certified.

Not in NOVA so I’m of no use on that.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 3:59:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it possible that your basketball backboard was interfering with the motion sensor?

I have no clue.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it possible that your basketball backboard was interfering with the motion sensor?

I have no clue.
View Quote

Anything's possible.  But you'd expect someone at the front tire, which isn't obstructed by the backboard, to trigger the sensor.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:58:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Anything's possible.  But you'd expect someone at the front tire, which isn't obstructed by the backboard, to trigger the sensor.
View Quote

You make a good point
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 3:40:34 PM EDT
[#5]
We have a security systems, both sensors and cameras. We used Victor Security for the alarm and First Witness for the cameras. Both can do either of the systems you are looking for. When you get to cameras you are stepping into a high dollar item that eventually go bad and will need to be replaced. Keep that in mind. We've replaced our system now twice.

Our cameras are hard wired and the recorder that is used is a Hikvision DVR and the cameras I am not sure. We did pick up the neighbors house being broken into (this was at night and the only light source was a streetlight) and the footage was used for court once they found the two young men. The Police Department were impressed with our cameras and asked if they were professional. It was much better than a lot of the big car lots in the area.

The DVR is set to record all the time. You can do motion detection and set it for size. It was recommended that it be put on record all the time. Also make sure that you have some good outdoor lighting. It can help and it can interfere as well. Its a catch twenty-two.

We tried the Ring doorbell and couldn't get a WiFi connection. The security company installed a Skybell. It works great. If a car goes by or UPS, FedEx, I pick them up at times. You can set the sensitivity. The doorbell camera and our security cameras caught kids kicking our door (trying to kick in it again) and caught kids setting fireworks off on our doorstep. The Fire Marshal really liked our set up. Said it was really clear and he could get a description of the kids. We have a lot of gang problems in and around our neighborhood.

I would say plan a budget of $3500 to $7000 for multiple cameras. You can get the ones from Best Buy, Walmart and Costco that will work great but they have their limitations. Those would be around $800 to $2000. You have to install those yourself or pay an electrician.

Good luck and I hoped I helped a little. I know the companies that I mentioned above do travel to other areas. It is worth giving them a call.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 6:58:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Talk to @lcoates33

Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:35:57 AM EDT
[#7]
First of all, get rid of that basketball hoop which is blocking everything that you are trying to capture.
Those Ring products are garbage, so get the real NVR (digital and networked and wired), so you can both record on the physical hard drive and over the cloud that you can remotely record/control/monitor.
Also, do not forget to install IR flood lights around the house to illuminate at night because the IR illumination on the cameras are not enough.

There is a free solution to your issue: park your car in the garage where it belongs (if you can).
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 7:12:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Talk to @lcoates33

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Talk to @lcoates33

You rang?
OP, if you need some info, shoot me a PM. I'd be happy to help.

Quoted:
Make sure they are DCJS certified.

Not in NOVA so I’m of no use on that.

Good advice.. ish?!?.
Individuals have a DCJS registration. Businesses have a DCJS license.
Nobody has a DCJS certification.. they literally don't care what you know, or how good or bad of an installer you are. They only care if you know the VA law regarding the private security sector... and when they get the renewal check.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top