Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2019 9:41:15 PM EDT
Been told that I should tag @LenS here.

I live in NH.

Three years ago, a guy stole $3K from my wife and I, stole from some other people as well, beat up a girl, and fled the state.

I made posts about it on Facebook and here, so that people who Googled his name would contact me. Scores of them did - I had no idea what a prolific criminal he was.

We finally got a location on him, in Florida. The arrest warrant was served, and he was extradited back to NH.

He made a plea deal - misdemeanor "theft by deception" - made restitution, served thirty days, and got a year suspended sentence.

He recently finished probation, and a couple days ago I got a notice that he has filed for a protective order against me in Chelsea Massachusetts. I haven't had any contact since the trial, so I'm not sure what his motivation is or what BS he's planning to try to sell the judge.

I'm guessing that when potential victims Google his name, they see what I've posted online, and it's cutting into his income.

Is there a way for me to find out exactly what he's claiming before the hearing? The letter I got just says, "Plaintiff filed a harassment order. It did not issue at this time. It is on for a hearing."

Have I even been properly served? All I got was a snail-mail letter.

Does Massachusetts have jurisdiction over someone in NH?

What can I expect?

What should I do to prep?
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 10:57:00 PM EDT
[#1]
IANAL and I'm unsure how this will work between the states.

I recommend that you give Atty Jason Guida a phone call for professional advice. If it issues and you were a Mass resident (or hold a MA NR LTC) there is about a 99% chance that it would be suspended/revoked and your guns in MA confiscated. Again, no idea how this will work across state lines.
https://lawguida.com/

Feel free to tell Jason that Len sent you, he'll know who I am.

Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top