Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2019 9:03:58 PM EDT
I need to find someone in the Portland/Salem/Eugene area who is good at working on 1911s and Browning Hi Powers.  Too many idiots out there pretending to be gunsmiths. Any help appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 9:35:34 PM EDT
[#1]
http://sheparms.com

Rob is the best.  GM level shooter and also makes USPSA pistols.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 12:51:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay, thanks.  I'd forgotten about Rob- he did a couple small jobs for me a while back, did good work.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 11:14:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Rob fixed my Hi-Power that George Gouger messed up.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 4:46:46 PM EDT
[#4]
My neighbor sent his in to “experts “ in Nevada.  I had to replace the sear spring in it.
I’ve heard things about George.  Met him years ago- seemed nice enough.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 10:25:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My neighbor sent his in to “experts “ in Nevada.  I had to replace the sear spring in it.
I’ve heard things about George.  Met him years ago- seemed nice enough.
View Quote
George is an odd bird. He took a year to get my Hi Power back to me. Let me start by saying I had another local “part time” smith install a bunch of C&S parts for me. He had on his card that he’d been to C&S school and this and that. When I got the gun back, the trigger was crisp and short, albeit a bit heavy at 6.5 lbs. He told me that was as light as he could get it. Enter George. I met him in a local shop, he was bragging about being an action job god on S&W revolvers, 1911s and BHPs. I told him my situation and he says “bring it to me, i’ll Fix it up.” After 6 months, I start hounding him on when he would have it done. Finally, a little over a year has passed and I pick it up. Trigger feels great at 4 lbs in the shop. I take it to the range and it doesnt make it 4 rounds without hammer follow. I struggle to get through 3 mags. I call him and he says “well, yea, I was a little concerned with how much I had to modify the sear that it would work properly. Just call me in a few weeks, i’ll Get another dead in and i’ll Get it working” I call him 3 more times, he had never got around to ordering the sear. I am a little leery about leaving the gun with him again. At this point, I call Rob Shepard. He gets it done in 6 weeks for me, trigger is a crisp 4.5 lbs. i’ve shot atleast 1000 trouble free rounds through the gun since.

George may have the knowledge and ability to do good work, but i am totally bitter against him. I try to discourage people from using him whenever I can. Funny thing is, I run into George around town and he is always a super pleasant man. I don’t think he remembers the circumstances of the work he did for me, but he is always nice and polite.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#6]
PS- there is a shop up in Donald I have heard does good work on 1911s and Hi Powers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top