Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2022 11:12:36 AM EDT
I’m located in Louisiana and I’m wanting to gift my brother my URG-I clone. He’s active duty and a TN resident.

I need a recommendation on an FFL in the Clarksville area that will accept private transfers.

Also, is TN like Louisiana where your CCW permit gets you a quick pass on 4473?
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 3:22:05 PM EDT
[#1]
TN's carry permit does not get you a quick pass on the background check.

IIRC, that loophole is only good if the state issuing the permit does regular (annual, I believe) background checks of carry permit holders. TN only does the background check when the permit is renewed, so we don't qualify.

Additionally, TN is one of the limited number of states which uses their own instant check system, through TBI, rather than the FBI's. As such, the state is allowed by statute to charge up to $14 per background check. TN charges $10 per.

If TN Department of Safety and Homeland Security did annual checks on all permit holders to allow us to bypass the background check when transfering a gun, it would increase workload and, inevitabley, cost, for that department while there would be fewer background checks run through TBI, which would result in less income for that agency.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 8:29:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Clarksville Guns and Archery is good to go. They do a lot of transfers for .mil folks, and store a lot of guns for dudes who ordered guns while deployed.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 12:24:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Clarksville Guns and Archery is good to go. They do a lot of transfers for .mil folks, and store a lot of guns for dudes who ordered guns while deployed.
View Quote

Awesome, thanks. I did a brief search and they seemed to be most liked in the area.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 5:27:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Where I got mine shipped to from MS.  Pleasant folks and will use again.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:02:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Used Clarksville Guns and Archery in the past with no issues, though my last transfer went into Tactical Edge on Fort Campbell Boulevard since the shop in Kentucky already had them on file.

Also used Tennessee Gun Country and Allen's Guns over the years.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 8:54:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Used Clarksville Guns and Archery in the past with no issues, though my last transfer went into Tactical Edge on Fort Campbell Boulevard since the shop in Kentucky already had them on file.

Also used Tennessee Gun Country and Allen's Guns over the years.
View Quote

It’s funny when Guns and Ammo outside gate 6 has to drive your pistol to the TN side to do a transfer at Edge.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 7:06:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It’s funny when Guns and Ammo outside gate 6 has to drive your pistol to the TN side to do a transfer at Edge.
View Quote

There was a gun shop across the Tn/KY line near where I grew up that had a shop on the TN side in Lafayette, TN. You could pay for what you saw at the Ky store, they would drive it over to the TN store in a day or so when they made a regular run to that store. Filled out your paperwork, it was called in and off you went. Bought my 1st Norinco Type 56s like that when they first were imported. That guy made a shit load of money on those Type 56 rifles. Seems like every day he was selling more. It was a craze where I lived with people buying them up like crazy.
No telling how many are sitting in closets and safes where I grew up.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 9:23:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There was a gun shop across the Tn/KY line near where I grew up that had a shop on the TN side in Lafayette, TN. You could pay for what you saw at the Ky store, they would drive it over to the TN store in a day or so when they made a regular run to that store. Filled out your paperwork, it was called in and off you went. Bought my 1st Norinco Type 56s like that when they first were imported. That guy made a shit load of money on those Type 56 rifles. Seems like every day he was selling more. It was a craze where I lived with people buying them up like crazy.
No telling how many are sitting in closets and safes where I grew up.
View Quote

GT Distributors in Rossville, GA has found a great way to deal with the issue. Their store literally sits on the state line, so they built a very small office on the side of the building just over the state line. They have two FFL's and two sets of bound books. The guns are kept on the books for the GA FFL and displayed in the main area of the store on the GA side. When a TN resident wants to buy a gun, the salesperson calls someone in the office to have them transfer the gun to the books for the TN FFL. Then, you follow the salesperson through a door to the TN room, where you complete the 4473 on a computer, they submit it to TBI, and, once it comes back approved, you take the gun, having to walk through the GA-side showroom to leave.

Elk River Trading Company, in Fayetteville, is owned by the son of the owner of Larry's Pistol and Pawn in Huntsville and Madison, AL. If a TN resident buys a pistol at either Larry's locations, like I did yesterday, someone drives it up to Fayetteville once a week and the transfer takes place there. Rob, the owner of Elk River, only charges the $10 TICS fee for guns bought at his dad's stores.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top