Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2018 10:35:14 AM EDT
I need some relocation info as we are looking at moving to Maine within the next 4-8 months.

The family spent a few weeks up in Maine over the summer house hunting and visiting the state. We are going back in the Dec timeframe for another look around off season but we'd like to lock in a house within the next 2-4 months.

Areas we are looking at are around Surry, Ellsworth, Blue Hill/Handcock county etc. Not looking at going up to far north as to not isolate the young ones. Having said that we are seeing a lot of very nice homes with land 20 miles or so outside of Lewiston. Not really wanting to go into my reasons, but how far outside of Lewiston/Augusta area do we have to be to avoid any possible issues.

Other question: Shooting guns on the property. I know the regulations as far as distance but can neighbors still cause issues w/noise complaints? Size wise we are looking at houses with 8-15 acres though there are some very nice homes with 30+ but they are right outside of Lewiston.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 2:23:13 PM EDT
[#1]
You don't have to be too far from Lewiston to find a nice town to live in.  I think the Poland area is very nice. So is Casco. Drive through there frequently. Also some nice rural area in Turner and towards Buckfield. I grew up in Bridgton, about 30 miles west of Lewiston. I now live in Freeport. Just north/west of us, New Gloucester and Durham both have some nice acreage.

I am not as familiar with towns around Augusta. The Readfield area always has seemed nice to me.

Overall, I think the further you are away from the coastal communities, the less trouble you will have with shooting on your land. Each town could have their own ordinances concerning this. Wise to inquire before you buy.

You mentioned the Ellsworth/Blue Hill area. Nice school systems there. Land is getting pricey. Ellsworth gets really busy in the summer with  Acadia National Park close by. Definitely a different feel to this area compared to the towns I mentioned above. More coastal influence there.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 6:38:10 PM EDT
[#2]
The areas you're talking about are pretty out there, but I'm not sure what you're used to.

I live just north of Portland (North Yarmouth) and I have neighbors that shoot often. Mag dumps with ARs and pistols type of thing. I typically limit it to .22s but I do deer hunt out my back door. (Shotgun only grrr)

There's lots of good area between Portland and Augusta/Waterville and the further north of Brunswick or so the more tolerant people seem to be.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 9:27:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys!

Brownie, the family did like the Ellsworth/Unity area the best, schools a big deal for us, most are rated very nice.

Wyatt, we are in the SE VA area near the coast. Though I spent my youth in northern MN. Shooting on my property isn't the highest on my list but its a nice option.

Regarding Lewiston, just dont want to switch from one area loaded with less desirables for another. I'd prefer to have distance.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Ive lived in the Augusta/gardiner/waterville area my whole life. I work in winthrop which is about 20 mins north of  lewiston and dont see many undesirables. I live another 30 mins from work in a very gun friendly town and just a 8 min drive from the rifle club.  The only trouble id see happening if shooting on your land is if its late in the evening.

Good luck with your search.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 10:58:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ive lived in the Augusta/gardiner/waterville area my whole life. I work in winthrop which is about 20 mins north of  lewiston and dont see many undesirables. I live another 30 mins from work in a very gun friendly town and just a 8 min drive from the rifle club.  The only trouble id see happening if shooting on your land is if its late in the evening.

Good luck with your search.
View Quote
My info may be slightly skewed as I am judging the area from a far, but is there not a large immigration problem in Lewiston that is causing problems with the locals? I've seen a few vids/articles stating as much.

Really though, there are a lot of nice properties in our $ range around 20 miles or so outside of that area.

You mention Waterville, I've seen some nice homes up there as well.

Thanks again for the help.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 4:24:04 PM EDT
[#6]
In town Lewiston is the problem area. The somalis do not stray out of the section 8 areas. Oxford county is scenic and other the opiod issues not bad.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 12:52:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I live 10 miles north/northwest of Augusta in Belgrade Lakes region.  We hear shooting all the time and the only problem is that I don't know exactly where they are and can't ask them if I can shoot.  If you have enough land, you are pretty much good to go.

West of 95 you should really be good to go.  East increases the chances of dealing with the more touristy types who think this is Northern Mass.  The chances of this are still very small especially north of Lewiston/Auburn.

Good luck.  Buy warm boots.  Welcome to Maine.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 11:48:30 AM EDT
[#8]
We, too, are in the house hunt.  As a matter of fact, we were with a realtor in Boothbay over the weekend, checking out a couple of homes.

I would move to the Ellsworth area in a freakin heartbeat except I'd be looking just north of there at Gouldsboro and that area.  There are a TON of homes that are still reasonably available because it's just that much further north than most people want to move.  We still have family in CT and a move that far north would be more like a trip instead of traveling for a visit.  With meals and pee breaks it's about 7 hours from our current home here.  So, we're looking further south.  Over the past 5 years that I've been lurking with real estate sights, the prices of homes from Brunswick and south has exploded by at least 20%.  But, during the past year I notice that a large number of them have reduced their prices.  They've been on the market for 160 days+ in many cases and that's slowed their sale.

Also, you might want to do yourself a favor and download the mill-rate chart that's available online for all the towns in Maine.  Those rates vary wildly!  Some downs would cost your $4k a year for taxes while that same basic house in another town would run $1800.  We were very much attracted to Brunswick but it has become one of those high-taxed towns.  They are building a new school and decided not to take state money so they're paying for it with taxes.  Good for them but it's really raised their taxes by about 30% over a couple of years.  High property taxes is what's driving us out of Connecticut to be sure.  We're paying in excess of $6500 a year and they're going up again next year.  Ugh.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 5:43:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In town Lewiston is the problem area. The somalis do not stray out of the section 8 areas. Oxford county is scenic and other the opiod issues not bad.
View Quote
This.

Waterville is more of a city type place like Augusta. I prefer the more of the rural areas outside city limits haha.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 1:06:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We, too, are in the house hunt.  As a matter of fact, we were with a realtor in Boothbay over the weekend, checking out a couple of homes.

I would move to the Ellsworth area in a freakin heartbeat except I'd be looking just north of there at Gouldsboro and that area.  There are a TON of homes that are still reasonably available because it's just that much further north than most people want to move.  We still have family in CT and a move that far north would be more like a trip instead of traveling for a visit.  With meals and pee breaks it's about 7 hours from our current home here.  So, we're looking further south.  Over the past 5 years that I've been lurking with real estate sights, the prices of homes from Brunswick and south has exploded by at least 20%.  But, during the past year I notice that a large number of them have reduced their prices.  They've been on the market for 160 days+ in many cases and that's slowed their sale.

Also, you might want to do yourself a favor and download the mill-rate chart that's available online for all the towns in Maine.  Those rates vary wildly!  Some downs would cost your $4k a year for taxes while that same basic house in another town would run $1800.  We were very much attracted to Brunswick but it has become one of those high-taxed towns.  They are building a new school and decided not to take state money so they're paying for it with taxes.  Good for them but it's really raised their taxes by about 30% over a couple of years.  High property taxes is what's driving us out of Connecticut to be sure.  We're paying in excess of $6500 a year and they're going up again next year.  Ugh.

Good luck!
View Quote
Yes the taxes vary in ME big time. There's a house in Poland that meets all our requirements but the taxes are $5K+ per yr where as the taxes are less than 1/2 that on a  home that we hope to put a offer on next week in Surry. Noticing in the sellers disclosure that it qualifies for the homestead tax break which we would not qualify for from my understanding until we maintain 13 months of continuous residency.

A lot of things go wrap my head around given the distance of the move. My oldest is already pricing out plow riggs and a standby generator as if all goes well we would take ownership right in the middle of winter. :( though I'd like to postpone that if possible.

Looking at everything, we think that Surry is most in line for what we are looking for, the schools are a big plus for us.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 12:11:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I grew up in a town bordering Ellsworth. My parents still live in that town.  I remember when it had one department store (Zaires and then Ames).  Ellsworth has been the fastest growing town in Maine for 10-15 years.  With that comes its own undesirables. Look at it on a map, it is called the gateway to downeast Maine for a reason.  So criminals are attracted to it for this reason also.

That said the area has a lot to offer.  Even the local hippies and tree huggers are '' tolerant'' of guns, they realize they are still outnumbered for the time being.  More lefties are moving in by the day though.

Per capita you will undoubtedly find more like minded gun people in Oxford or Franklin County but these areas have their own issues as well.  Closer to the coast you do have the liberal influence.  When I get closer to retirement I will likely move back close to my hometown, my family has been there for a couple hundred years, if I don't completely bail on Maine for the deep south.

Send me an IM if you have any questions about a particular area within one of the towns you mentioned.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top