Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2021 7:39:32 PM EDT
I'm assuming a neck knife worn under clothing, even a coat, would be illegal in Michigan.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for clarifying one or the other?
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 8:35:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:01:33 AM EDT
[#2]
A neck knife in Michigan is a concealed weapon. Even if you have a concealed pistol license, my reading of the law would not permit you to carry a neck knife with the primary intent of using it as a weapon. Michigan’s catchall provision about carrying a concealed weapon, the “any other dangerous weapon” provision is all about intent. In other words, if you carry a knife in your pocket for general cutting tasks, it is not considered a weapon. (unless it falls within the specifically prohibited criteria, such as a double edged dagger)  But if you carry it in your pocket for self-defense, it is now a concealed weapon. At least that’s what the caselaw says.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In other words, if you carry a knife in your pocket for general cutting tasks, it is not considered a weapon. (unless it falls within the specifically prohibited criteria, such as a double edged dagger)  But if you carry it in your pocket for self-defense, it is now a concealed weapon. At least that’s what the caselaw says.
View Quote

So I have a 'pocket knife' that I use all day at work, but if I use it to defend myself after work (say in a walmart parking lot) it's now "illegal"
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 4:21:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So I have a 'pocket knife' that I use all day at work, but if I use it to defend myself after work (say in a walmart parking lot) it's now "illegal"
View Quote

Not at all. But let’s say that the police stop in frisk you and ask you why you are caring a knife. If you respond I use it to cut things all day long at work, you are good. If you say I’m carrying it for self-defense, you are carrying a concealed weapon. Like I said, it’s all about intent. You can pick up a chair and defend yourself. That doesn’t mean the chair is a weapon until you employ it as such.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 11:39:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't carry knives, I only carry seatbelt cutters in case a life needs to be saved in an accident.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top