Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2021 8:55:34 PM EDT
If anyone goes tomorrow and walks by the NRA tables, see if Phil from the Museum is there, selling things.  He was there today selling some old leather pouches and aged round medallions with eagles, but I didn't get a chance to grab a picture.  If he is, please get a pic of the items for sale.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 12:45:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Anybody gone yet this weekend? Any kind of general report on the show? Packed? Lot of variety on the tables?
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 10:06:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Was not too bad.  Typical junk there, more or less same vendors who had some stuff.  All depends on what you are looking for.
Gun prices seem to be dropping somewhat.
Ammunition still stupidly expensive.
A LOT of people, including women who were there on their own, shopping and buying.  So guns still selling.

Also sorry, didn't see anything for sale at NRA table.  Those guys seemed a little....
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 12:23:19 PM EDT
[#3]
It was my first show in more than a year...and while most tables were full, I noticed many regular vendors were absent.  Trader Jerry's was not there, nor did I see Dennis Todd or DK Firearms, from whom I've bought quite a bit of stuff.  Also didn't see (or miss) SSG Tacitcal.

And prices seemed high, of course.  One random benchmark - I usually have my choice of vendors selling good quality 50cal cans for 8-10 dollars.  I saw one vendor with a really small stack asking for $15 each.

Plenty of ammo, skewed a bit toward fringe brands, but it was there to be had if you were willing to pay the iron price.

What wasn't there - P320s.  Normally, you'd have dozens of vendors selling them and have your choice of models.  I was with someone looking for one and we pretty much struck out.  In contrast, Glocks of all types were available everywhere.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Went today hoping to see vendors drop ammo prices on the last day.. No luck.  No Trader Jerry's and the CZ vendor wasn't there but I haven't been in a couple of years. Old Fud bolts seem to go up every year in price which stinks since I want a Fud bolt action rifle.
Georgia Arms space seemed light.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 9:44:17 PM EDT
[#5]
What were M1 Carbines going for?
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 1:21:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What were M1 Carbines going for?
View Quote

$1,100.00 -  $1,200.00.   Wasn't looking at specific manufacturers and they seemed not to be in really good shape.  Wasn't many compared to a few years ago but I was walking quick and might have missed some. Garands were few and far between but again might have missed a few tables.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 8:21:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It was my first show in more than a year...and while most tables were full, I noticed many regular vendors were absent.  Trader Jerry's was not there, nor did I see Dennis Todd or DK Firearms, from whom I've bought quite a bit of stuff.  Also didn't see (or miss) SSG Tacitcal.

View Quote

Maybe I’m glad I didn’t find the time to go. That is about half of the larger gun dealers.

Oh well
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 1:35:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And prices seemed high, of course.  One random benchmark - I usually have my choice of vendors selling good quality 50cal cans for 8-10 dollars.  I saw one vendor with a really small stack asking for $15 each.

Plenty of ammo, skewed a bit toward fringe brands, but it was there to be had if you were willing to pay the iron price.

What wasn't there - P320s.  Normally, you'd have dozens of vendors selling them and have your choice of models.  I was with someone looking for one and we pretty much struck out.  In contrast, Glocks of all types were available everywhere.
View Quote

I know Dennis Todd was at the Louisville, KY “show of shows” this past weekend. He said many of the “Dulles regulars” were there as well.

I did not see Phil at the NRA table (he retired iirc) but I did see the case of items you were curious about. They appeared to me to be all modern reproduction C.W. Federal breastplates and canvas slings from what I could see. They were in lightly used condition so I thought it was some re-enactor thinning-out their gear. Sorry, no pic, didn’t see your request until today.

I found a Ruger American Ranch rifle in .300BO at about the same cost as the BEST price i could find online once you factored shipping and transfer. I’m ditching my .300BO short barreled AR project for a bolt-action gun.

I also picked up a lightly used Stoeger SxS shotgun for cheap. Much cheaper than completed GB auctions. I had it out this morning and it shoots great.

I tried to dicker with a Dealer who was selling guns above MSRP but he wasn’t gonna budge. I honestly don’t think he sold a single thing.

Ammunition was expensive but I found factory loaded Remington UMC for $20/box of 50. I didn’t need any but directed a couple friends to his table. Private seller not a Dealer.

Not a great show, not the the worst. For me it was a social event and I can enjoy it for that.

FWIW- Private sales are pretty easy to complete. VSP has a little room set-up, the buyer and the seller each fill out a little paperwork. For the buyer, it’s a slightly modified SP65. It costs the buyer $2. My understanding is that the serial # is not required but can be noted on the seller’s form if they wish. No ATF form 4473 is used. Obviously, I wish the new law hadn’t gone into effect but the VSP have it streamlined and as least intrusive as probably possible while still in compliance with a dumb law.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I know Dennis Todd was at the Louisville, KY “show of shows” this past weekend. He said many of the “Dulles regulars” were there as well.

I did not see Phil at the NRA table (he retired iirc) but I did see the case of items you were curious about. They appeared to me to be all modern reproduction C.W. Federal breastplates and canvas slings from what I could see. They were in lightly used condition so I thought it was some re-enactor thinning-out their gear. Sorry, no pic, didn’t see your request until today.

I found a Ruger American Ranch rifle in .300BO at about the same cost as the BEST price i could find online once you factored shipping and transfer. I’m ditching my .300BO short barreled AR project for a bolt-action gun.

I also picked up a lightly used Stoeger SxS shotgun for cheap. Much cheaper than completed GB auctions. I had it out this morning and it shoots great.

I tried to dicker with a Dealer who was selling guns above MSRP but he wasn’t gonna budge. I honestly don’t think he sold a single thing.

Ammunition was expensive but I found factory loaded Remington UMC for $20/box of 50. I didn’t need any but directed a couple friends to his table. Private seller not a Dealer.

Not a great show, not the the worst. For me it was a social event and I can enjoy it for that.

FWIW- Private sales are pretty easy to complete. VSP has a little room set-up, the buyer and the seller each fill out a little paperwork. For the buyer, it’s a slightly modified SP65. It costs the buyer $2. My understanding is that the serial # is not required but can be noted on the seller’s form if they wish. No ATF form 4473 is used. Obviously, I wish the new law hadn’t gone into effect but the VSP have it streamlined and as least intrusive as probably possible while still in compliance with a dumb law.
View Quote

Thanks.  Good info.

I also spoke with the two young women staffing the VSP tables and they were very helpful, covering the info you mentioned above.  And I agree, looks like a good option to comply with the BS law...other than the fact that the buyer and seller both need to drop $16 to get into the show.  Not a big deal if you were already planning on going, but more of a pain if you weren't...especially if the other party blows you off and doesn't show up.  That said, I am going to give it a shot at the next show, listing some things for sale in the EE the week beforehand.

Btw, I also asked:

- Are they performing this service outside the context of gun shows?  Perhaps at VSP offices or barracks?  As expected, the answer was no.

- If they knew whether or not an FFL would have to do a background check on a seller to return the seller's property if the buyer failed to pass their background check in a private party sale under the new law...and they said it was a very good question and they were not sure.  They had not yet heard of the scenario happening.  I assume if that is the case, it is due to federal, not state law.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 4:54:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

SSG was there,  

Trader Jerry's was on vacation,

a lot  of the collectibles type dealers were in Louisville at SOS
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 5:00:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks.  Good info.

I also spoke with the two young women staffing the VSP tables and they were very helpful, covering the info you mentioned above.  And I agree, looks like a good option to comply with the BS law...other than the fact that the buyer and seller both need to drop $16 to get into the show.  Not a big deal if you were already planning on going, but more of a pain if you weren't...especially if the other party blows you off and doesn't show up.  That said, I am going to give it a shot at the next show, listing some things for sale in the EE the week beforehand.

Btw, I also asked:

- Are they performing this service outside the context of gun shows?  Perhaps at VSP offices or barracks?  As expected, the answer was no.

- If they knew whether or not an FFL would have to do a background check on a seller to return the seller's property if the buyer failed to pass their background check in a private party sale under the new law...and they said it was a very good question and they were not sure.  They had not yet heard of the scenario happening.  I assume if that is the case, it is due to federal, not state law.
View Quote

interesting

I cannot remember if it was VSP or ATF that sent out some clarification on how they expected dealers to operate with the background checks,

IIRC, they expected the buyer and seller to hang out long enough with the dealer to insure everyone was OK with the transaction,  no heebie jeebies or doubts, and if all was good, the seller could leave,

once the seller left, the firearm was to be put on the books of the dealer (bound book) and transferred to the buyer once approved (and recorded on 4473/SP65 etc etc)

must have been from the ATF since I also recall they extended the time for dealers to enter it in the bound book and dispose,  

what I don't remember is if the seller, should the buyer be denied, had to go thru a background check to pick it up or if it could be released to the seller like a consignment item can
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top