Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2021 6:13:48 PM EDT
Looking for a little help from the group...

I'm starting a new job in two weeks, working on Sidco Drive, Nashville.  My plan was to be a geobachelor and live in Smyrna during the week, and return to my family in East Tennessee on the weekends.  The plan I had for reasonable accommodations has fallen through.  

With starting rates of 1-room apartments around $1k, I was hoping someone would be able to point me in a cardinal direction (realtor/their current apartment company) to begin my search for a place to lay my head in earnest.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#1]
So, I'm a realtor, but we don't really do much with rentals. We do, however, keep a list of people we know who have rentals, or AirBNBs, and whatnot, because we get asked about it a lot.

Let me ask a couple people and get back to you. In the meantime, if you're on FB, you could consider joining a local FB group and asking about rooms for rent, etc.

Single, no pets, no smoking?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:24:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:29:00 PM EDT
[#3]
How long is your term here? A week, a month, six months, indefinite? Do you need a second bedroom for wife/kids to visit? Five days per week or 7?

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:42:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So, I'm a realtor, but we don't really do much with rentals. We do, however, keep a list of people we know who have rentals, or AirBNBs, and whatnot, because we get asked about it a lot.

Let me ask a couple people and get back to you. In the meantime, if you're on FB, you could consider joining a local FB group and asking about rooms for rent, etc.

Single, no pets, no smoking?
View Quote

Appreciate the feedback.  I'm married, but will be living single. 50 y/o. No pets (they're in Sevier County), non-smoker.  My only vices are guns and bourbon...
I'm transferring for the military, working at the State Headquarters.  I anticipate this new position will be at least three years, if not longer.  I retire in nine.  I have no plans on moving to the Nashville area--I want to retire in Sevier County where my wife and home are.  I'll be a geographic bachelor until I return to East TN.  I wasn't anticipating this being part of my career path, but there was an urgent need for a Field Grade Officer with my skillset--so, with a month's notice, here I am.  Happy to have been selected, but I was putting my "Billeting" eggs in one basket--I was going to rent a room at Volunteer Training Site-Smyrna.  With the MIL schools opening, students get preferential treatment for housing, as they should.  I need to find a stable, secure location to hang my head for 10 hours a day, M-F.  I'll be driving home on the weekends.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:48:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Smyrna to Sidco drive can be an hour or more drive time in rush hour.  Rutherford, Davidson and Williamson counties are sky high on decent rentals. You're probably going to have to get 30 miles outside of those counties before rent starts dropping unless you get a really undesirable location. I'd look around for a room mate type situation if you really need to stay under $1000 a month. Another option if you have a camper is the Nashville I-24 campground in Smyrna(corner of Rocky Fork and Old Nashville Hwy). It is mostly occupied by folks like you and the ren fair actors. They have cabins to rent there too but they aren't real fancy.
View Quote

I've heard the tales of Nashville Traffic.  I can beat this by going into the office around 0530.  I like to stay busy, and the early mornings give me free time to get ahead of the day.  My boss told me that anything under $700/month is a crackhouse and to avoid it.  From my initial search, I'm not finding much that's desirable for under $1100...

I thought about a camper, but the total cost is too much.  I have a nice home in East TN that takes most of my BAH.  The increase in BAH moving to Nashville isn't enough to support an apartment at these costs.  Trailer payment, lot rent, and utilities take me too far over budget.  That, and I prefer to live in a brick structure...

I appreciate the feedback.  I'm trying to get on top of this before I make a hasty decision that will be a mistake.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:49:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How long is your term here? A week, a month, six months, indefinite? Do you need a second bedroom for wife/kids to visit? Five days per week or 7?

View Quote

Long term, more than 3 years.  No need for a second bedroom--a studio will be fine.  If my son is accepted to Vanderbilt in a year, then I'll look at a second bedroom.  My hope is he goes to UT-Knoxville to save his old man's checkbook a few thousand in tuition payments...I went there twice, and it's close to our house.

I'm almost to the point of living in a tent in the bed of my truck...
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:33:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I have one in Manchester near exit 110 I-24

Retirement community 800 per month
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#8]
PM Sent
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:11:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Does it come with GILF's and a bingo night?

Asking for a friend.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
I did that Manchester to Nashville commute for a while, fuck that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:31:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I did that Manchester to Nashville commute for a while, fuck that.
View Quote

I currently drive Sevierville to Kingsport (1 hour, 45 minutes each way) daily.  I'm keeping my options open.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Ever considering buying a house/condo/etc and getting a roommate or three?
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:26:03 PM EDT
[#13]
After a few weeks searching, and a lot of praying, my wife and I have gone under contract for a small condo.

A little cheaper than rent, all in with association fees, and I’m building equity instead of just paying rent.  Should make a little profit when I sell upon retirement in 9 years.

Thanks to all of the replies and messages offering support and contacts to work with.  Looking forward to getting to local gun shops/ranges/gun shows.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:47:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
After a few weeks searching, and a lot of praying, my wife and I have gone under contract for a small condo.
View Quote

Which part of town?
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:02:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Which part of town?
View Quote

Lebanon.  Seemed to be the right fit for distance to Sidco, price, and travel on I-40 immediately after work on Friday as opposed to I-24 or I-840.

Now, I have two VA loans.  But I only cut grass at one location...
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Lebanon.  
View Quote

Lebanon is decent. Gun shows there & so forth. Good news is there's more than I-40 to get you there.

Let us know when the house warming party is.................  
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:38:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Lebanon is decent. Gun shows there & so forth. Good news is there's more than I-40 to get you there.

Let us know when the house warming party is.................  
View Quote

It’ll be B.Y.O.B. (Bring Your Own Blantons).
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:02:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

What the hell is a "Blanton"????
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 4:29:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top