Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2022 12:16:44 PM EDT
Not a lot of details at the moment. There are rumors members of Naperville City Council may try to push through an Assault Weapons Ban at the next Council meeting, on 7/19/22.

They have the votes to do it. Once conservative Naperville government has become increasingly liberal over the past few election cycles. Council as a whole has lacked leadership since the mayor took a knee in June of 2020 resulting in the expected riot and looting of Naperville's downtown business district.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 12:28:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought the CCW law prevents new AWBs that aren't grandfathered.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#2]
As I read it, the preemption clause of 430 ILCS 66 only applies to handguns.

Your also assuming these people really care what the law says. They are more interested in capitalizing on others' tragedies to push an agenda.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#3]
430 ILCS 65/13.1(c) states that AWBs are functions of the state unless they were enacted up to 10 days after the effective date of Public Act 102-538, eff. 8-20-21.

That won't stop Naperville or any other municipality from trying, though.  We're almost at the point where governments will actively ignore existing laws, the Constitution, and the courts.  I'm surprised nobody has tried to declare an anti-2A sanctuary yet.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 4:41:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I've noticed since Obama was in the White House, this country turned to Chicago style politics. "Don't give a damn what the law says. Don't care if we get sued and don't care if unconstitutional. We are passing it. Fight us in court."

Well that's when I actually started paying attention to politics since I was able to purchase my first gun.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought the CCW law prevents new AWBs that aren't grandfathered.
View Quote

You are correct.  Unless they had a law in place, a new one will die in court.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 1:18:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I've noticed since Obama was in the White House, this country turned to Chicago style politics. "Don't give a damn what the law says. Don't care if we get sued and don't care if unconstitutional. We are passing it. Fight us in court."

Well that's when I actually started paying attention to politics since I was able to purchase my first gun.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:12:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like Bill SB2510 could be a vehicle for a statewide ban effort.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

That is the mind set.  We would explain to dem legislators how we would defeat them in court and they would say "that will take years" and they were right.  They don't care!  That is why I stand so strongly against them and those that vote for them!
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 5:36:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Unfortunately Naperville went Woke! smh ..
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 11:57:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Naperville is holding a city council meeting tonight where they will have the first reading of an AWB for Naperville.  

Agenda item 22-0848   :  Conduct the first reading of the ordinance amending Title 3 of the Naperville Municipal Code to prohibit the local commercial sale of assault
weapons and large-capacity magazines.

You can submit a written statement to the city council or a simple support or oppose here:  https://www.naperville.il.us/government/board-and-commissions/city-council-meetings-and-workshops/city-council-speaker-sign-up/

I called the Mayor's office and asked if they had a lot of comments/people calling....she said they had....I asked if there were a lot in opposition and she said yes, there were.

She said they are preparing for major crowd control....
Napverville mayor office is 1630-420-6018.  The lady was very helpful....we need to call, be polite, but express our opposition to ANY infringement.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 4:18:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Really, Naperville has always been woke. Karen and Kyle central.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Looks like Bill SB2510 could be a vehicle for a statewide ban effort.
View Quote

Winner, winner ... because while unenforceable, it will result in IL being added to the list of 'we can't ship there' locations.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:52:54 PM EDT
[#13]
@Ewald or @slarti - any update?
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:56:20 PM EDT
[#14]
No updates from me or that I know of.  Once I find something I'll update.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 6:39:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Don’t waste your breath on Naperville. The state is coming for us soon. What are we doing about it and how are each of you going to deal with its ramifications?
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 9:24:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Don’t waste your breath on Naperville. The state is coming for us soon. What are we doing about it and how are each of you going to deal with its ramifications?
View Quote

Contact my representative. Become politically active. Try to influence policy. BE THE CHANGE!

Link Posted: 7/22/2022 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Contact my representative. Become politically active. Try to influence policy. BE THE CHANGE!

View Quote

In typical ARFCOM fashion.....get both!
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 12:40:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've contacted my representatives, but honestly, I'm not doing anything.

Whatever they come up with will be Unconstitutional, and I don't think a whole lot will change.

Seems like a Unconstitutional state law written and enacted AFTER Bruen would have "fast track" to SCOUTUS written all over it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 3:08:38 PM EDT
[#19]
The meeting lasted a LONG time.
Link to entire meeting.

some highlight speakers and their speaking time on the video.

47:03 to 57:00  Three terrific women

1:00:00  Robert Beavis – owner of Law Weapons

1:30:00  Todd

1:38:00  Frank Merrick – good

1:44:00  Mary O’Conner – older attorney lady – great

2:02:00  Dan Eldridge
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 5:16:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The meeting lasted a LONG time.
Link to entire meeting.

some highlight speakers and their speaking time on the video.

47:03 to 57:00  Three terrific women

1:00:00  Robert Beavis – owner of Law Weapons

1:30:00  Todd

1:38:00  Frank Merrick – good

1:44:00  Mary O’Conner – older attorney lady – great

2:02:00  Dan Eldridge
View Quote

Thx huge for posting
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Robert Beavis - who’s side was he speaking for?  His shop demanded to scan drivers license for AR non serial numbered parts.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 5:10:55 AM EDT
[#22]
I just saw on WGN news channel 9 4am that Naperville just banned military style firearms.

Link Posted: 8/17/2022 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Lawsuits being filed?
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wasn't always that way. When I was living in the area back in the 1960's and 1970's, Naperville, Warrenville, Winfield and West Chicago were all pretty much rural farming communities. It wasn't until the commercial development of the I-5 corridor in the 1980's and 1990's that things started to change. I haven't been back there in thirty years, but I'd bet money I wouldn't recognize the area now.
Gary
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#25]
It was clear watching it live online, that their (the boards) minds were made up and damn the facts, and damn local businesses.
It was a "feel good" vote for them, with nothing really accomplished with regards to crime. It was to show solidarity with a rabidly anti-gun Highland Park mayor.
It really made me feel that they really don't care about putting violent mentally ill people in institutions, or keeping habitual criminals in jail pending trial, or focusing on prosecuting actual offenders and putting them in prison.
At least for the most part, it was civil.

Now if they would pass a resolution to have no confidence in state's attorney's like Cook County's Kim Foxx, they would at least be on the right track.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 8:00:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It was clear watching it live online, that their (the boards) minds were made up and damn the facts, and damn local businesses.
It was a "feel good" vote for them, with nothing really accomplished with regards to crime. It was to show solidarity with a rabidly anti-gun Highland Park mayor.
It really made me feel that they really don't care about putting violent mentally ill people in institutions, or keeping habitual criminals in jail pending trial, or focusing on prosecuting actual offenders and putting them in prison.

Now if they would pass a resolution to have no confidence in state's attorney's like Cook County's Kim Foxx, they would at least be on the right track.
View Quote

@Lazyshooter - Are you referring to the meeting on 7/19 or whatever yielded WGN reporting a ban has passed as posted by berlinsoldaten yesterday?
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 9:51:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

@Lazyshooter - Are you referring to the meeting on 7/19 or whatever yielded WGN reporting a ban has passed as posted by berlinsoldaten yesterday?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was able to go to Naperville's website Tues. night, and they had a live video link to their board meeting on 8/16.  Stayed up until 1:20am Wed. when they voted on the ban on aw sales, and adjourned.  No, I didn't see the earlier meeting last month, which they often referred to in this last meeting.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 10:46:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I was able to go to Naperville's website Tues. night, and they had a live video link to their board meeting on 8/16.  Stayed up until 1:20am Wed. when they voted on the ban on aw sales, and adjourned.  No, I didn't see the earlier meeting last month, which they often referred to in this last meeting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't realize that it was already the August mtg. Did they keep the 'exception' for cops, retired cops, part time cops, kids of cops, cousins of cops, dogs of cops, etc. ?
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I didn't realize that it was already the August mtg. Did they keep the 'exception' for cops, retired cops, part time cops, kids of cops, cousins of cops, dogs of cops, etc. ?
View Quote

I can't remember for sure.  Board members did discuss it in their speeches just before the vote, but I can't remember.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 12:03:26 PM EDT
[#30]
So, it is just a ban on sales not ownership/possession?
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 8:22:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, they kept the exception for cops....just not for the "little people"....

One person on the board voted no.....the rest including Rino mayor Steve C voted for it.  I called the Mayor's office and explained why that was a bad move....based on the secretary's response I think a lot of people called that were upset.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top