Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2022 1:24:28 PM EDT
The NYC City Council is expected to pass a resolution calling for the state legislature to enact a new restrictive carry law.

Link Posted: 6/23/2022 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#1]
They can try to resolve thier feelings all they want. I am extremely happy for you guys today.  I left NYS 5 years ago but I still browse this part of the forum and wish you all the best.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 5:12:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The NYC City Council is expected to pass a resolution calling for the state legislature to enact a new restrictive carry law.

View Quote

How can they if the ruling says that we are allowed to carry?  They will try but it’s spelled out pretty clearly.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 5:39:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How can they if the ruling says that we are allowed to carry?  They will try but it's spelled out pretty clearly.
View Quote
They're going to make everywhere that's not a public sidewalk a "special place" and make us litigate each one.  Subways, theaters, restaurants that serve alcohol, 1,000 feet of a school, anywhere posted with a sign, all parks, all government buildings, etc.  You'll be able to drive to where you're going, and go in, if it's not posted, and walk around.  That's about it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 6:01:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They're going to make everywhere that's not a public sidewalk a "special place" and make us litigate each one.  Subways, theaters, restaurants that serve alcohol, 1,000 feet of a school, anywhere posted with a sign, all parks, all government buildings, etc.  You'll be able to drive to where you're going, and go in, if it's not posted, and walk around.  That's about it.
View Quote

If I’m not mistaken, I believe Justice Thomas addressed the special place I issue.  Haven’t had a chance to read the decision thoroughly yet.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 6:22:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Justice Thomas addressed the special place I issue.  Haven't had a chance to read the decision thoroughly yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Justice Thomas addressed the special place I issue.  Haven't had a chance to read the decision thoroughly yet.
He did. NY will try and I think they already have a bill like this they are trying to push. But if passed will be challenged and struck down. Can't simply make everywhere a special place lol.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
He said it "can't be the entire island of Manhattan" but didn't really go into great detail.  They left it very much open.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Isn't that the same thing that was just determined to be unconstitutional?

Making it hard is what got them into this.

Link Posted: 6/23/2022 11:34:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
He said it "can't be the entire island of Manhattan" but didn't really go into great detail.  They left it very much open.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The reason for that is simple, if you make an exhaustive list they will find a way to weasel something in. The kind of “loop hole” they always accuse Gun owners of exploiting. Thomas gave them rope to hang themselves. Ball is in your court bitches, just try to defy me… When they do he slaps down their new restrictions with authority. The man is brilliant.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 1:08:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The reason for that is simple, if you make an exhaustive list they will find a way to weasel something in. The kind of "loop hole" they always accuse Gun owners of exploiting. Thomas gave them rope to hang themselves. Ball is in your court bitches, just try to defy me  When they do he slaps down their new restrictions with authority. The man is brilliant.
View Quote
If history is the standard, they really don't have much of anywhere to go beyond courthouses and jails, would be interested to hear the history on public conveyances.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 8:00:58 AM EDT
[#10]
The NYC City Council Committee on Public Safety and Committee on State and Federal Legislation will hold a joint oversight hearing on "access to firearms: city and state efforts to curb gun violence" at 10:00am today.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 12:26:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Practically speaking this won't make things any easier for upstate people visiting NYC.  There will be gun-free signs everywhere, so no taking the subway, no museums, no restaurants, no parks etc.  You will be able to carry walking around and not entering any premises.  

And for those who live there it will be the same.  You won't be to carry at work, or any of the aforementioned places.  You will be able to carry when you step out of your apartment to pick up your take away food or milk from the convenience store, or when you go for a jog at night.  Well, that's something at least.

But the biggest benefit is for everyone else in restricted states thanks to Saint Thomas's strict scrutiny opinion.  So at some point soon, no more "AW" or "LCM" restrictions.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 8:09:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Practically speaking this won't make things any easier for upstate people visiting NYC.  There will be gun-free signs everywhere, so no taking the subway, no museums, no restaurants, no parks etc.  You will be able to carry walking around and not entering any premises.  

And for those who live there it will be the same.  You won't be to carry at work, or any of the aforementioned places.  You will be able to carry when you step out of your apartment to pick up your take away food or milk from the convenience store, or when you go for a jog at night.  Well, that's something at least.
View Quote
I will be waiting for the hue and cry from the currently "privileged" downstate people who are licensed to carry (retired PD, judges, celebrities, politicians) when they are suddenly faced with these very restrictions themselves. I suspect the police unions, at the very least, are going to be pushing for exceptions. In fact, it would not surprise me if they create some kind of two-tier carry system that mimics the current privilege system. Elites can get enhanced licenses allowing carry in all areas while peons are subject to restrictions everywhere (Restricted Carry, akin to the current "restrictions" placed on licenses, vs Full Carry or some such nonsense). Would love to see that go before the courts. Otherwise, a lot of people who have had near exclusive rights to carry throughout the state (retired NYPD for example) will find themselves severely limited and will not be happy about it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 8:38:15 AM EDT
[#13]
It is going to be interesting to see how the criminal ruling class in Albany tries to get around the Supreme Court ruling.  Unfortunately, it will likely be a long road until it is settled thanks to the anti 2D Amendment Second Circus.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:24:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

But the biggest benefit is for everyone else in restricted states thanks to Saint Thomas's strict scrutiny opinion.  So at some point soon, no more "AW" or "LCM" restrictions.
View Quote

Thomas' opinion addresses making too many places sensitive areas that don't allow carry.

I seriously doubt a public transportation system can be considered a sensitive area..., Specifically said population density cannot be used to create a sensitive area... And that's the only reason a subway could be banned... By saying there's too many people.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:24:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I will be waiting for the hue and cry from the currently "privileged" downstate people who are licensed to carry (retired PD, judges, celebrities, politicians) when they are suddenly faced with these very restrictions themselves. I suspect the police unions, at the very least, are going to be pushing for exceptions. In fact, it would not surprise me if they create some kind of two-tier carry system that mimics the current privilege system. Elites can get enhanced licenses allowing carry in all areas while peons are subject to restrictions everywhere (Restricted Carry, akin to the current "restrictions" placed on licenses, vs Full Carry or some such nonsense). Would love to see that go before the courts. Otherwise, a lot of people who have had near exclusive rights to carry throughout the state (retired NYPD for example) will find themselves severely limited and will not be happy about it.
View Quote

That sounds ripe for a challenge based on equal protections, no?

We now live in a post NYSRPA vs. Bruen nation. New York is definitely going to pass a slew of ridiculous new laws but I guarantee most will get struck down very quickly based on this new guidance.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 2:08:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

We now live in a post NYSRPA vs. Bruen nation. New York is definitely going to pass a slew of ridiculous new laws but I guarantee most will get struck down very quickly based on this new guidance.
View Quote

I wish I could be as confident as you but the Second Circus has historically been all too happy to rubber stamp any and all gun control schemes put forth by NYS.  I foresee another trip to Scotus before they are dragged kicking and screaming into compliance.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 2:59:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I wish I could be as confident as you but the Second Circus has historically been all too happy to rubber stamp any and all gun control schemes put forth by NYS.  I foresee another trip to Scotus before they are dragged kicking and screaming into compliance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe...but this opinion is so God damn strong it will be almost impossible for the 2nd circus to uphold much, taking into account text history and tradition. It's a killer decision.

And I bet the 2nd circus judges presented with these cases will even say in their opinions "we don't agree with the supreme court, but our hands are tied."
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 8:29:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fuck all that.  I dont even give a shit, I have no buisiness in NYC anyway.

I do want to pass through unmolested while carrying though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top