Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2021 6:12:49 PM EDT
Next location is in McKinney at El Dorado PKWY and Custer/2478 (NE Corner). Opening Spring 2023.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a good thing, isn't it? We just moved to Georgetown about a month ago and HEB and Randall's are our preferred choices.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 6:54:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's a good thing, isn't it? We just moved to Georgetown about a month ago and HEB and Randall's are our preferred choices.
View Quote

Other than Walmart/Target HEB and a few Randall’s are the only real grocery stores. I thought I saw an Aldi’s opened up in Georgetown.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 7:15:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Other than Walmart/Target HEB and a few Randall’s are the only real grocery stores. I thought I saw an Aldi’s opened up in Georgetown.
View Quote

I don't know about Georgetown, but we have an Aldi in Pflugerville.  I rarely go to H-E-B at all anymore.  Randall's is a lot more pleasant shopping experience than H-E-B.  Not as crowded, almost never any screaming children running wild all over, not all the free shit army scum, and I rarely have to wait in line to check out.  H-E-B never has enough help for the customer service to be any good.  They used to be a lot better but after Albertson's left the Austin market and Randall's closed several stores they got greedy and lazy.  They raised their prices and cut their hours and staffing in the stores.

Aldi is no-frills, but man do they beat everyone on prices on a lot of stuff.  And the H-E-B stores within a 5 mile or so distance of the Aldi have had to up their game -- they've improved service at those stores and cut prices to try to match Aldi, at least on some items.  Stores further away, no change.

I really wish Kroger or even Fiesta would move into the area.  H-E-B does a MUCH better job when they face some real competition.  Walmart and Target aren't much competition on groceries, neither of them does that all that well.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 7:36:12 PM EDT
[#4]
What’s an HEB most comparable to that’s already in DFW?
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 1:25:04 AM EDT
[#5]
My wife wanted to eat somewhere in Waxahachie so I said I'd drive if she'd pay AND I got to check out the HEB.  

It wasn't as great as everyone says, mainly because I wasn't expecting to find as much white trash.

I'll GBPSE

90% of my shopping is WinCo and Aldi, with Kroger bringing up the 10% with their sale items. I'd love to see HEB break further into DFW, but the grocery market here is a killer.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 10:58:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I still much prefer HEB to any other store, mainly due to price and selection.  And it just feels like Texas.  They are usually always crowded with is a drawback.  Go to an HEB in a nicer area to avoid trashy folks.

Ironically though the Oak Hill (Austin) HEB is my favorite as even though the typical shopper is lower class they aren't pretentious like they are at the other area locations.  And it usually isn't as crowded.  I'm sure once the new replacement store on 290@1826 opens it will pull many of the pretentious Circle C folks.

Randall's is rarely crowded which makes it nice.  Prices are higher and I hate having to be a member just to get HEB prices.  They don't have the selection either.  I've been burned more than once when my wife & I decided to shop there and ended up having to go to HEB later because they didn't have something.  Also, Randall's seems to draw their employees from the same labor pool as Fry's did, at least the front end employees.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I still much prefer HEB to any other store, mainly due to price and selection.  And it just feels like Texas.  They are usually always crowded with is a drawback.  Go to an HEB in a nicer area to avoid trashy folks.

Ironically though the Oak Hill (Austin) HEB is my favorite as even though the typical shopper is lower class they aren't pretentious like they are at the other area locations.  And it usually isn't as crowded.  I'm sure once the new replacement store on 290@1826 opens it will pull many of the pretentious Circle C folks.

Randall's is rarely crowded which makes it nice.  Prices are higher and I hate having to be a member just to get HEB prices.  They don't have the selection either.  I've been burned more than once when my wife & I decided to shop there and ended up having to go to HEB later because they didn't have something.  Also, Randall's seems to draw their employees from the same labor pool as Fry's did, at least the front end employees.
View Quote

You mean using your phone number for a discount? It is free to set up so no $$$ to join. I use my old number from California, used it all the time at Ssfeway and Randall’s is owned by Safeway. Safeway was the main grocery store chain in the Bay Area. Funny thing is Randall’s doesn’t have 30.07 signs up like HEB which is a Texas based business. Safeway is headquartered in Pleasanton CA.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My wife wanted to eat somewhere in Waxahachie so I said I'd drive if she'd pay AND I got to check out the HEB.  

It wasn't as great as everyone says, mainly because I wasn't expecting to find as much white trash.

I'll GBPSE

90% of my shopping is WinCo and Aldi, with Kroger bringing up the 10% with their sale items. I'd love to see HEB break further into DFW, but the grocery market here is a killer.
View Quote

The Waxahachie HEB is overloaded. My SIL complains that she can't can't even park sometimes.

35 years ago, you had Kroger, Safeway, Winn Dixie and Minyards in Waxahachie and it was about half the size it is now. Walmart still didn't have a huge supply of groceries.

Now what do you have? HEB, Walmart, and the Terry's mexican grocery store. And you have people from the surrounding towns still going to Waxahachie for grocery options they don't have in their town.

The other thing that gets me is Brookshires. They build a BRAND NEW store in Ennis, keep it open a year or so and close it.

WHAT?!?!

Just doesn't make sense.

I'll go to a smaller grocery store and pay more just so I don't have to walk into a Walmart.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 3:54:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You mean using your phone number for a discount? It is free to set up so no $$$ to join. I use my old number from California, used it all the time at Ssfeway and Randall’s is owned by Safeway. Safeway was the main grocery store chain in the Bay Area. Funny thing is Randall’s doesn’t have 30.07 signs up like HEB which is a Texas based business. Safeway is headquartered in Pleasanton CA.
View Quote

Not that funny. HEB is all woke.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I lived in San Marcos years ago.  
Loved HEB/Randall’s

Quality and cheap.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 8:11:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Right before my 16th birthday, I got a job at the HEB in Temple as a sacker.  It was good, hard work.  We competed to see who could make the most carryouts in a day.  Imagine that today.  Before I was 17 I was given a cash register.  I would be on my feet 8 hours on any given Saturday punching in prices by hand and calling them out.  We competed to see whose till would be off the least.  It wasn’t uncommon to not be off more than 25 cents for an entire day.  Then I was given a price gun and my own section to stock.

We weren’t open on Sundays and we didn’t sell any beer, wine, and spirits.  At least until Mr. Butt died.  They backed the trucks up to the stores before he was even room temp.

When Burt Reynolds did his full front centerfold in Vogue, we were ordered to remove the mag from the store.  It didn’t go back in again until, you guessed it, Mr. Butt died.

It was family owned and working at the store was a family type thing.  Everyone knew everyone.  We recognized many of the customers.  

Link Posted: 6/9/2021 9:10:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 1:13:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'll GBPSE

View Quote

I resemble that, at least the trash part, but substitute the White for Puerto Rican.

Anyway, since I live in Waxahachie, I go to HEB all the time. They have a good selection of fruit and other foods - when they’re not sold out. But it’s always packed, especially on weekends.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 1:23:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The Waxahachie HEB is overloaded. My SIL complains that she can't can't even park sometimes.

35 years ago, you had Kroger, Safeway, Winn Dixie and Minyards in Waxahachie and it was about half the size it is now. Walmart still didn't have a huge supply of groceries.

Now what do you have? HEB, Walmart, and the Terry's mexican grocery store. And you have people from the surrounding towns still going to Waxahachie for grocery options they don't have in their town.

The other thing that gets me is Brookshires. They build a BRAND NEW store in Ennis, keep it open a year or so and close it.

WHAT?!?!

Just doesn't make sense.

I'll go to a smaller grocery store and pay more just so I don't have to walk into a Walmart.
View Quote

Yeah, I agree it’s usually overcrowded. I didn’t know Waxahachie used to have a Kroger and a Winn Dixie. Winn Dixie is all over Florida, but I’ve never seen one in the DFW area since I moved here about 24 years ago.

Waxahachie does have a Super García, though. They have a great meat section, especially for fajitas, but the rest of the selection isn’t that great.

As for Brookshires, I think Red Oak still has one. I used to go there when I lived in Lancaster not too long ago. It was never that crowded, either.

I still prefer HEB out of all of them, though. Like someone else said, it just feels like home so to speak. I try to go early in the morning or after 9 pm when it’s not as crowded, though.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 1:51:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Kroger is "supposed" to be working on a delivery only online grocery store in Lancaster that will deliver to South Dallas. I don't know if they'll make it happen. The I45 corridor out of South Dallas down to Ferris and Palmer is barren of everything except truck parking lots and warehouses. I mean we got excited when they built the QT and the Popeyes Chicken.

I did some online shopping with Brookshires/Super1 during the Kung Flu. It was ok, but I'm back to going to the store in person. I can't give you a reason why. I think it's because you have to focus on what you really need verses shopping and buying what you see on the shelf. I started a HelloFresh subscription about 2 months ago, I have mixed feelings about it as well, the food is good. I still buy some groceries, I'm just trying to keep the food budget the same and I don't always make it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

HEB's prices vary by location even between stores in the same town. In Bryan/College Station the newer HEB in CS has higher prices on a lot of things, sometimes a lot higher, than the other HEBs.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 10:18:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I resemble that, at least the trash part, but substitute the White for Puerto Rican.

Anyway, since I live in Waxahachie, I go to HEB all the time. They have a good selection of fruit and other foods - when they’re not sold out. But it’s always packed, especially on weekends.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll GBPSE

My mom was Alabama farm girl and my dad from PR
I Really resemble it

But I shop at Costco and Tom Thumb cuz Plano
But I would love an HEB
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 9:54:31 AM EDT
[#18]
HEB has the best beef.

HEB prime is better than Costco's.

We now buy all our wine from our HEB and are on a first name basis with the Beer/Wine Mgr.
They have a really good selection of premium wines not found in other stores.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 8:12:56 PM EDT
[#19]
At least they dropped their face diaper mandate
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 11:31:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

HEB's prices vary by location even between stores in the same town. In Bryan/College Station the newer HEB in CS has higher prices on a lot of things, sometimes a lot higher, than the other HEBs.
View Quote

When my daughter was going to school at A&M the HEB there it was actually a social center. They would meet there to shop and hang out.

Those of you who shop at Adli's and like it must be going to a different store than we have here in far, far, far, North Dallas. Our local store is more like Mogadishu at times. I will say it's an interesting store though. Except with the horse meat lasagna though.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 3:16:38 AM EDT
[#21]
HEB's "house" brands tend to be very good - better than a lot of the national brands they're sold next to.

They're sort of like Costco in that regard.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 4:11:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
HEB's "house" brands tend to be very good - better than a lot of the national brands they're sold next to.

They're sort of like Costco in that regard.
View Quote

Also, in a lot of things that have HFCS, the HEB version often doesn't.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 2:00:30 AM EDT
[#23]
I drive 3 miles to get to an HEB when Randall's & Kroger are only 1 mile away. I REFUSE to shop at stores that require a discount card. Posted prices are not always correct and I get price discrepancies at the register when it's time to pay. You want my business? ....then stop playing retard games with me and just clearly post one price! If dual price games with discount cards was such a great idea, then you could bet everybody else including Walmart would have been doing it already.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 1:37:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

When my daughter was going to school at A&M the HEB there it was actually a social center. They would meet there to shop and hang out.
View Quote

All grocery stores near college campuses are packed with chicks.

Not saying you should go there and perv out on young girls but the Kroger near SMU on Mockingbird is scenic.

We were in San Marcos (iirc) a few years ago on vacation and this jeep pulled up full of college girls in bikini tops and shorts who all proceeded to run in to buy beer and whatnot for a day of floating on the river.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 1:31:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Both the HEB and Randalls stores we shop at, are just outside of Sun City/Georgetown. Both are really clean, rarely crowded when we shop in the late evening, and the clientele seems to be fine. The two times we have been in Randalls, they didn't require anything like a membership to purchase groceries, other than a phone number. So far, we have no complaints about either store.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top