Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 1/22/2018 1:00:34 PM EDT
Anyone know of any ‘Tactical’ .22lr matches in central Iowa?-something along the lines of the national rifle league’s 22 matches.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 3:59:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing that I'm aware of at Ames, Ankeny or Boone.  Depending on how you structure them it wouldn't be too difficult to put one on.  Looked at the NRL website.  Seems like it's mostly a southwest thing.  Rigs seemed rather specialized.  I suppose like most shooting games it turns into an equipment race in short order.

Closest thing that I've seen locally is the Appleseed matches.  Ames does one or two of those a year.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, Gear wise, it could spiral from a couple hundred rifle into a $2k vudoo tactical. But, yeah, I think the target setup they sell is $240 and the max range you would need is 100 yards. Obstacles are relatively simple.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 4:30:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Some years ago the Ames Ikes ran steel silhouette shoots.  Rams, chickens and such.  This looks like a slightly tarted up version of that, only it's "tactical".  I think we still have the stuff to run one of those matches, if memory serves Iowa Games would run a match as part of the shooting sports.  Can't remember the last time we did one, it was never my thing.  Wouldn't be hard to resurrect something along those lines.  Just need a coordinator and volunteers, like all other matches.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 5:56:22 PM EDT
[#4]
myself and a couple of friends would be down for this
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 9:45:05 AM EDT
[#5]
We have an issue of the availability and participation in even the most prevalent forms of organized shooting sports in Iowa.

Just look at the active # of participants in the major trends:

- Sporting Clays we're one of the lowest in the nation
- 3-gun in IA is supported by a handful of seemingly dedicated guys
- Go to any USPSA match in IA and you're likely to see someone you know. In Eastern IA, it's seemingly the same group of guys and a few dedicated match directors who volunteer HUGE swaths of their time to do it.

So odds of finding any of these specialty competitions is pretty slim, let alone something in your AO. It also takes someone dedicated to the cause and a locale that'll let you run with it (the days of doing it on the back 40 are over with litigation everywhere).
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 10:54:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We have an issue of the availability and participation in even the most prevalent forms of organized shooting sports in Iowa.

- Go to any USPSA match in IA and you're likely to see someone you know. In Eastern IA, it's seemingly the same group of guys and a few dedicated match directors who volunteer HUGE swaths of their time to do it.

So odds of finding any of these specialty competitions is pretty slim, let alone something in your AO. It also takes someone dedicated to the cause and a locale that'll let you run with it (the days of doing it on the back 40 are over with litigation everywhere).  
View Quote
Exactly.  I've been active at the Ames Ikes for 25 years.  A thousand members, two dozen of us to 99% of the work.  Everybody wants to come play.  Nobody wants to do the work.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Exactly.  I've been active at the Ames Ikes for 25 years.  A thousand members, two dozen of us to 99% of the work.  Everybody wants to come play.  Nobody wants to do the work.
View Quote
"Everyone wants to eat. Nobody wants to hunt."

See this first hand all the time...
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 4:41:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
IFC duties severely limit my free time and ability to directly contribute, but I will say, on a personal level NRL22 definitely piques my interest. I think it's a brilliant way to introduce people to PRS style competition and get them doing more than just shooting dirt clods 'out back.'

I want to try foster and grow competitive shooting in the state in any reasonable way possible. So I'll throw this out there, if someone puts together a match I'll use my connections and IFC network to help promote the event and hopefully drive up participation. I'm not one to sit idly waiting for things to happen. . So while there's no way I can plan an event, I'm more than willing to do what I can to help make it a success and assist the guys making things happen.

If someone wants to make this happen, lets talk.

--Kurt
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 10:53:40 PM EDT
[#9]
This sounds fun and affordable. Hmm off to do more research.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 11:46:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

IFC duties severely limit my free time and ability to directly contribute, but I will say, on a personal level NRL22 definitely piques my interest. I think it's a brilliant way to introduce people to PRS style competition and get them doing more than just shooting dirt clods 'out back.'

I want to try foster and grow competitive shooting in the state in any reasonable way possible. So I'll throw this out there, if someone puts together a match I'll use my connections and IFC network to help promote the event and hopefully drive up participation. I'm not one to sit idly waiting for things to happen. . So while there's no way I can plan an event, I'm more than willing to do what I can to help make it a success and assist the guys making things happen.

--Kurt
View Quote
I have no idea what it takes to be a match director, but I will throw some money at the target system. If we approached Ankeny Ikes, with the backing of the IFC, I bet the board would allow a match to be scheduled.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 7:43:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This sounds fun and affordable. Hmm off to do more research.
View Quote
You just said the magic words :)
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have no idea what it takes to be a match director, but I will throw some money at the target system. If we approached Ankeny Ikes, with the backing of the IFC, I bet the board would allow a match to be scheduled.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

--Kurt
If something gets scheduled on a Sunday, I'm down! It's a bitch to get off work on a Saturday.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 12:37:38 PM EDT
[#14]
So I looked into it because... why not, I need more stuff to do like a hole in the head, but...

From what I see the NRL-22 is the mini-PRS series. Not that you'd HAVE to spend money, but for claiming to be the cheaper alternative, there's some high dollar equipment pictured on their website with more focus on precision.

I think a 'tactical' match where .22lr AR's, 10/22's, etc. could be competitive w/ a focus on movement, reloads, etc. would be a good time, relatively cheap targets, etc. I'm thinking a USPSA PCC type course, but in .22lr. I occassionally throw on a .22lr upper on my 'go to' lower for use in cheap practice on reloads, movement, etc (recoil notwithstanding)

Maybe this would be a good setup for us to try at an HTF get together if Septic is willing to host us all?
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So I looked into it because... why not, I need more stuff to do like a hole in the head, but...

From what I see the NRL-22 is the mini-PRS series. Not that you'd HAVE to spend money, but for claiming to be the cheaper alternative, there's some high dollar equipment pictured on their website with more focus on precision.

I think a 'tactical' match where .22lr AR's, 10/22's, etc. could be competitive w/ a focus on movement, reloads, etc. would be a good time, relatively cheap targets, etc. I'm thinking a USPSA PCC type course, but in .22lr. I occassionally throw on a .22lr upper on my 'go to' lower for use in cheap practice on reloads, movement, etc (recoil notwithstanding)

Maybe this would be a good setup for us to try at an HTF get together if Septic is willing to host us all?
View Quote
Add some focus on precision with small long range steel targets (50-100yd) from bench, prone, etc with the above mentioned focuses and it sounds like fun.
I would shoot matches.
Greg
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 7:34:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's a super idea Sam.  Sounds more fun than the NRL-22 matches IMHO.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top