Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2021 1:53:05 PM EDT
KC3 was sent a picture of "No Guns" signs at the Nelson County Fairgrounds. We contacted Nelson County Judge/Executive Dean Watts and he agreed to remove those signs. The signs were removed on Monday. You can see a picture of the signs here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/er7qajyp062b8pq/2021-08-22%2012.15.59.jpg?dl=0&fbclid=IwAR31LU6u-PAIrl5LIbdcSohdhF9n3O1KfmhL4MGv4MoZkVp1iEy94xv3h3g
Anybody else that sees a sign they think might be illegal, pass them on to KC3 at Kentucky Concealed Carry Coalition on Facebook, on our webpage at KC3.com or message me here at ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Great work as always
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 8:05:49 AM EDT
[#2]
The government organizations behind these situations should be sued by individuals for I fringing upon their rights if they were denied entrance while carrying.

Link Posted: 9/9/2021 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#3]
For me, it is not important if they were denied entry or not, especially in a small locality like Nelson Co. People know about the signs and don't arm themselves because they don't want the hassle of dealing with the local government. Those people have been intimidated out of their rights and there is no need to deny them entry. I believe there are more people like that than there are people that are actually confronted and turned away. Of course, there are also many people that just ignore the signs and carry anyway but what happens if they are ever discovered? Then there is a confrontation, possibly with police involved, possible embarrassment with family and companions involved, maybe it becomes physical, maybe somebody loses his job with a county agency, maybe somebody's brother-in-law loses his job. The best solution for all involved is to just have the signs removed.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 8:16:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The government organizations behind these situations should be sued by individuals for I fringing upon their rights if they were denied entrance while carrying.

View Quote

That aside, the signs and their placement were illegal.  
Public officials/employees should be held to a higher standard, and the violation of that trust should come with more than a slap on the wrist and a finger waggle.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 2:17:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That aside, the signs and their placement were illegal.  
Public officials/employees should be held to a higher standard, and the violation of that trust should come with more than a slap on the wrist and a finger waggle.
View Quote

You are right, it is illegal for a county official to do this or even allow it to be done by someone else and our legislature has established that it shall be a violation of KRS 522.020 (Official Misconduct in the first degree) or KRS 522.030 (Official Misconduct in the second degree). Assuming it is the most serious possible the penalty could be a maximum of 1 year in the County Jail and a $500 fine(that is the max penality possible for a misdemeanor), but first you have to convict him and before that he has to be charged and prosecuted. Misdemeanors are charged and prosecuted by the County Attorney. The County Attorney is also the legal advisor for the Fiscal Court and all County agencies. He would have to prosecute his own client and explain why he allowed this to happen. A prosecutor has absolute discretion on who to prosecute and whether or not to prosecute a person. In other words, this will never happen. If you want that you will have to change the law and convince the General Assembly that they should be putting city and county officials in jail for minor omissions, being lazy and failing to read up on laws that affect their jobs. If you start prosecuting public officials for that you'd have to also prosecute every state Senator and Representative. They would not pass a law that would probably imprison all of them.

What we have now is ten times better than what we had before. Which was a statute of only one sentence. The original KRS 65.870 said, "No city or county government may occupy any part of the field of regulation of the manufacture, sale, purchase, taxation, transfer, ownership, possession, storage,  or  transportation of firearms, ammunition, components of firearms, components of ammunition, firearms accessories, or combination thereof. " That was it. No suggestion of a penalty for violations. This was our preemption law from 1984 to 2013.

Link Posted: 9/10/2021 8:23:29 AM EDT
[#6]
The bad news :   The more I understand, the more it all seems pointless.

The good news :   For each of us, it will come to an end.   It won't be long for me.   I just hope it is not too painful.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top