Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2020 7:10:23 PM EDT
What the heck is going on here? Why are these people requesting this information? The story doesn’t say why these people want the info.

https://ladailypost.com/courts-order-game-fish-to-turn-over-information-of-successful-big-game-applicants-to-james-whitehead-of-los-alamos/

SANTA FE – A First Judicial District Court judge has ordered the New Mexico Department of Game and Fish to turn over the names and addresses of all successful big-game applicants for the years 2015 through April 23, 2019 to Los Alamos County resident James Whitehead.
Additionally, the New Mexico Court of Appeals ordered the New Mexico Department of Game and Fish to turn over the email addresses of individuals who applied for state hunting licenses for the years 2015 through 2016 to former Land Commissioner Aubrey Dunn.
Both decisions conclude that information collected from the public in connection with the administration of its public duties falls within the meaning of public records and are subject to disclosure.

In 2017, Dunn requested the names and email addresses of more than 300,000 applicants for New Mexico hunting licenses. Whitehead requested the detailed draw results, names and addresses of all successful applicants, units applied for and units drawn.
The Department provided names to Dunn, but denied the additional requests by both parties. As a result, both parties filed lawsuits pursuant to the state Inspection of Public Records Act (IPRA).

“The Department argued against the release, but ultimately lost,” Director Michael Sloane said. “We value the privacy of our customers’ personal information but recognize that is the courts’ interpretation of the current IPRA law.”
The Department will release the requested information today and wants to make their customers aware. Individuals who believe they are being harassed by solicitors or similar as a result of this release should call toll-free (844) 255-9210 or file a complaint online at www.nmag.gov/file-a-complaint.aspx.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 7:52:10 PM EDT
[#1]
WTF?

This sounds like a dry run for demanding all CCW holders info.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
WTF?

This sounds like a dry run for demanding all CCW holders info.
View Quote
Right, I don’t wanna sound like a paranoid neckbeard, but this stinks of lefty politics.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 9:48:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 10:28:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Who is James Whitehead?
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 10:41:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Who is James Whitehead?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Who is James Whitehead?
Edit: article is from June 2019

I went searching. Found this:

https://losalamosreporter.com/2019/06/05/whitehead-sues-department-of-game-and-fish-under-inspection-of-public-records-act/

Los Alamos County resident James Whitehead has sued the New Mexico Department of Game and Fish (NMDG&F) under the Inspection of Public Records Act (IPRA).

The complaint relates to an April 23 request by Whitehead to inspect all electronic records regarding the NMDG&F Big Game Draw system results and applications for the years 2015 through 2019. Whitehead specifically requested the detailed success draw results, names and addresses of all successful applicants, units applied for and units drawn. He also requested the policy and procedure documents that govern the Big Draw as well as the software involved including the source code.

Court records indicate NMDG&F responded the Whitehead indicated that the Department does not give out addresses of license buyers pursuant to the Cox Rule. Whitehead in turn asked “how do we as citizens verify that Game and Fish are conducting the draw fairly?”

NMDG&F responded to Whitehead in a letter stating that the material he has requested is “excessively burdensome or broad” and that the Department will need addition time to compile material but would have then ready by June 10.

The letter stated that the source code for the software falls under Rule 11-508 of New Mexico Rules of Evidence and that NMDF&G would provide the state the license holder is from. That rule provides that “unless upholding the privilege will tend to conceal fraud or otherwise work an injustice, a person or entity owning a trade secret has a privilege to refuse to disclose, or to prevent others from disclosing, the trade secret”.

“Upon receipt of these records it shall be made clear that the draw is conducted fairly,” the letter said.

Whitehead’s complaint filed by attorneys Marshall J. Ray and Blair Dunn alleges NMDG&F has not provided a citation for denial of the addresses of the license buyers. It asks for declaratory judgment that denial of the public records requested by Whitehead is a violation of IPRA, or if necessary a writ of mandamus requiring NMDG&F to produce the requested records. Whitehead is also asking for statutory damages and attorneys’ fees.

The suit is in the First Judicial District Court and has been assigned to Judge Jason C. Lidyard.
I have serious doubt that he’s doing out of concern for the public. Dude has ran for Los Alamos county Sheriff & lost. Maybe, if we have a member up there they can shed some light on it for us.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 10:44:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Dude is sue happy. This article claims he’s a republican. I don’t know what to make of this guy.

https://www.lamonitor.com/content/sheriff
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 11:42:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I've heard this guys name before but I can't place it...

something sketchy says my gut.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 11:56:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've heard this guys name before but I can't place it...

something sketchy says my gut.
View Quote

Same. He looks really familiar but I can’t place it.

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:21:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm in LA. Whitehead is a crazy dude who ran for sheriff. He's pretty far right, and likely wanted the info because he felt slighted, or just to mine for potential voters. The sheriff here has been a clusterfuck for years because all they do is maintain the sexual predator registry. The former D sheriff wanted more power and to do LEO stuff and the county said thanks anyway and killed his budget and took all of his vehicles and staff. He sued and got a secretary back. Whitehead ran after that on the platform that the sheriff should be the chief LEO like the rest of the counties in the state. It's a mess. Whitehead is a weirdo.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Seriously? That’s a really fucked up model for an SO. Who handles rural LE up there? State? Anyone?
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Seriously? That's a really fucked up model for an SO. Who handles rural LE up there? State? Anyone?
View Quote
Our county is very small. PD has jurisdiction everywhere but there is also Bandelier park rangers and a few federal guys in unmarked cars. Lab pro force can detain for PD or FBI on DOE land. The county charter (not sure that's the right term) is different here since the county was all federal in the beginning. SF sheriff's department deputies have an agreement with the PD since the major road in and out of town is on the county line, so they can pull you over here too.

Note I should have been explicit. Whitehead lost the sheriffs race. Our county is all D, including sheriff. There are a few local crazies that run for sheriff every time, including one that is wayyyy out there (and probably an arfcommer).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top