Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2023 1:23:39 PM EDT
NM House  Heath Consumer & Public Committee have the following on deck for today 02/07/2023

Tuesday, February 7, 2023 - 1:30 PM - Room 317
HB 50 POSSESSION OF LARGE CAPACITY GUN MAGAZINE (ROYBAL CABALLERO/LOPEZ)
HB 100 14 DAY WAITING PERIOD FOR FIREARM SALES (ROMERO A./SERRATO)
HB 101 LARGE-CAPACITY MAGAZINES & ASSAULT WEAPONS (ROMERO A./SERRATO)
HB 164 PERMITLESS CARRY OF FIREARMS

You can watch here on zoom to participate.

or here on SLIQ.net
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#1]
On the edge of my seat. Zoom notworking for me, I need to update the app.
Please keep us posted.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Well here we go.

Bernalillo DA representing himself as a gun owner and how evil magazines are.  Not needed for hunting, defending your home, etc.

He went onto discuss “barrel capacity” or some new term with a gun recovered from the recent shootings in Albuquerque and that nobody needs that.  Whatever.

Sounds like the sponsors are trying to roll this into HB101.

Good lord.  This shit passes committee I bet.

Update 1 - on HB 100, but most of those speaking against are referring to the AWB and mag ban.  Committee isn't saying anything.  A few ranchers so far from Northern NM speaking against.  Another guy asking about the constitution; some folks speaking about how lax laws are towards criminals, yet the legislature is wanted to take away from law abiding citizens.

Update 2 - First time I've heard about a change to HB101 about grandfathering....not sure what changes have been made.

Update 3 - Still on HB100, but discussing 101.  Lots of speakers making good points about turning ordinary, law abiding citizens into felons overnight....including the 70 year old female lawyer from Santa Fe.  Still some discussion about changes to 101 I have yet to see.

Update 4 - Still hearing against.  A good mix of rural and city types making their points heard.  A fair amount of overlap in the reasoning, but still a good showing.  Committee is only allowing 60 seconds to speak quite a few getting cut off.

Update 5 - HB100 4-2 passed.  Of course it did...

Update 6 - HB101 being debated by committee now.  The author just now called it “the mass shooting prevention bill.”

Update 7 - The author now just confirmed the grandfather clause.  The committee is asking where it is in the bill.  Also something about registration if you have grandfathered items.

Update 8 - Now audience is speaking out against 101.  This was all very strange as most people speaking out against 100 were really speaking out against 101.  I don’t know how that will be taken by the committee or if those same people will speak again.

Update 9 - Been on this for 3hrs now.  Still arguing 101.  Romero keeps calling this the "the mass shooting prevention bill."  Apparently the text has changed dramatically, but people listening in cannot find it online.  Romero doesn't want to argue what is constitutional and what isn't - she wants to pass this bill to prevent mass shootings.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 5:00:52 PM EDT
[#3]
9mm “barrel capacity”
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 5:05:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
9mm “barrel capacity”
View Quote

I know, right?  I thought I had heard it all.  Must be like the shoulder thing that goes up?
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 7:44:17 PM EDT
[#5]
wow, its still going!
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 8:05:04 PM EDT
[#6]
HB101 passed, but in the amended form.  I have not seen what it says.

Link Posted: 2/7/2023 8:23:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Sooo on to the floor, and if it passes both floors (House and Senate) the signed into law.

So we can only hope its rejected by ether the house and/or Senate....if I understand all this correctly.

Any idea what time frame it will take to get to the House?
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 4:00:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sooo on to the floor, and if it passes both floors (House and Senate) the signed into law.

So we can only hope its rejected by ether the house and/or Senate....if I understand all this correctly.

Any idea what time frame it will take to get to the House?
View Quote

These bills HB100 and HB101 will go to another committee first. I think it is the House Judiciary Committee but I am not 100% on that.

That said I know of no reason why they would not get rubber stamped in that committee just like the first one.

I still have not found a source of the amended HB101 that was passed this committee, feels kinda shady that NM is passing legislation that has not been made available to the public for review.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

These bills HB100 and HB101 will go to another committee first. I think it is the House Judiciary Committee but I am not 100% on that.

That said I know of no reason why they would not get rubber stamped in that committee just like the first one.

I still have not found a source of the amended HB101 that was passed this committee, feels kinda shady that NM is passing legislation that has not been made available to the public for review.
View Quote

Wow, they certainly don't make this easy, but it would be interesting to see the amended HB101.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#10]
The NRA ILA has a Link to submitted substitute HB101. I'm just starting to go through it now. They sure expanded this bill and still are going to add the mag ban stuff per the rolling of HB50 into this bill.

If my take on this is correct, it means even if you register you "assault weapon" you will only be able to shoot it on licensed ranges or on private property. No hunting or shooting on state/federal land or even transporting it anywhere other than the approved locations.

They sure beefed up this bill from its original form.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like HB101 was change to include a “grandfather clause”, although they don’t call it that. It just allows a resident to register their “assault weapons” with the state before March 1, 2024. & you’d have to prove that you owned before that date. In other words, you can’t come back later & be like, oh I forgot this one, please add it to my registry of guns I own, thank you.

Also it allows people who move into the state to register as well. Although I couldn't tell if that was before 3-1-24 or just from here on. (I think it’s after 3-1-24, a new resident must register within 60 days.)

It also makes an exception for LEO, through travelers, Military members, & private security contractors.

It also added, that if any part of the bill is deemed illegal in court, the rest of the bill still applies.

50 Cals were also added. I don’t believe they were in the original bill. I could be wrong, but I don’t recall seeing that in the original.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow what a complete shit show.

In the hearing it sounded like .50s would be removed because Romero had no reasoning why they were in there.

Of course just because you’re law enforcement or retired law enforcement grants you more rights than an ordinary citizen.

Was the grandfathering covering mags too?  There was so much going on in that hearing I couldn’t tell what was being changed or added.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 8:43:10 PM EDT
[#13]
What a complete shit show.  Even though it's obviously against both the state and us constitutions -- we can't count on the state court or even a circuit court stopping it.

Link Posted: 2/8/2023 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wow what a complete shit show.

In the hearing it sounded like .50s would be removed because Romero had no reasoning why they were in there.

Of course just because you’re law enforcement or retired law enforcement grants you more rights than an ordinary citizen.

Was the grandfathering covering mags too?  There was so much going on in that hearing I couldn’t tell what was being changed or added.
View Quote

I think so. It mentions “weapons attachments.” I’m assuming that means magazines.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 9:19:09 PM EDT
[#15]
My wife and I have lived here for about 1 1/2+ years (from Ohio). We both love our home, neighbors and New Mexico. We've always dreamed of moving to the southwest, and worked so hard to get here. Its going to devastate her to bug out and leave (what we've called) our forever home. To be honest, its going to be just as hard on me as well.

I don't know what else I can do to fight this, but to contact all the House of Representatives for all the districts and explain why this bill sucks, and tell them to vote against it. But I know they don't care, hell they don't even return my email the last time I wrote to them.

I seen parts of the video on the debate, where there was a spokes person from the NRA. I'm not sure it there was anyone else, but I seen a lot of "Mothers Demand Action" and other aint-gun advocates. Is the GOA or any other pro gun groups fighting this? Not that I'm sure it would help, but it would be nice to get as much help on this as possible. I know that they intend to push this through at all cost, even if its unconstitutional, so it would need to be challenged in court for that reason, but it would take deep pockets to do so.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top