Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/10/2023 7:39:05 PM EDT
Likely the first of many bad bills this legislative session.

HB50 PDF

4deg felony for possession of magazines holding 10 or more rounds.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 9:53:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 10:12:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Won't even be able to have 10 round mags....what a joke. I will give up nothing. The first 4th degree felony is the costliest. The rest are free.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 8:19:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Man what a shitshow
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 8:53:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Saw this on the news this morning, looked it up.  Short, evil, illogical, and of course law enforcement is excempt
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 9:08:18 AM EDT
[#5]
What's gonna happen is what always happens. These cocksucking cunts bring the absolute worst bill up possible. Knowing that it doesn't have a chance to pass. They will then begin to negotiate our rights away. When it's all said and done, we will be told just how good some of our representatives are that helped to negotiate this terrible bill down to no more sales and grandfathering of existing. All the while, everything will be gone in a generation. Thank goodness for trusts, they live on in perpetuity. But, that still doesn't make any of this right as we will still lose in the end. It's coming. Most of us knew it. But the dems that are about to lose their shit as well are gonna be pissed. This state has a ton of democrat voters that own guns. It's what has kept us the bluist state with the best gun laws for so long. But that's about to end if we don't go up there and fight this out. I'm sure there will be protests. Please post up the info when you get it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 9:16:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Told my wife about it, and her first question is, isn't that basically all the magazines we have?

Yup.

Let's see, call reps, maybe call my sheriff's office?  She's supposedly pro 2A.

And I'm not saying to vote against it, I'm going to be emphasizing I'm against anything anti gun.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 3:35:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Laughs in M27 linked ammo
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm new here in New Mexico (Deming), and I'm not sure how this all works.
When will this be voted on?
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 10:34:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Short answer is some time between 1/17-3/18 as this is a 60day session year, but best case is it dies at a committee level.

This is not the first time this bill has been introduced, and the author has made clear she doesn’t understand what it actually entails. So far she has refused to make the changes other democrats have told her need to be made for them to get on board. However, the state has never been so progressive and blue so it may get pushed through.

Right now the best thing we can do is make people aware of this bill and how it will make 90+% of gun owners felons in a fairly gun friendly state. Many of us will be watching the committee schedules to see if/when this bill starts to move and usually someone will post meeting time or meeting link for public comments. Hopefully we can keep this bill from even receiving a floor vote by keeping the pressure on it at the committee level.

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Short answer is some time between 1/17-3/18 as this is a 60day session year, but best case is it dies at a committee level.

This is not the first time this bill has been introduced, and the author has made clear she doesn’t understand what it actually entails. So far she has refused to make the changes other democrats have told her need to be made for them to get on board. However, the state has never been so progressive and blue so it may get pushed through.

Right now the best thing we can do is make people aware of this bill and how it will make 90+% of gun owners felons in a fairly gun friendly state. Many of us will be watching the committee schedules to see if/when this bill starts to move and usually someone will post meeting time or meeting link for public comments. Hopefully we can keep this bill from even receiving a floor vote by keeping the pressure on it at the committee level.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can also join the NMSSA.

Which reminds me, I need to re-up my membership.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#11]
So I went to all the House of Representatives website for all the districts:

https://nmlegis.gov/Members/Legislator_List?T=R

I emailed each of the members:

"Hello, I am writing to you today to express my concern about HB50. My wife and I moved to New Mexico just a year ago and we really love it here. But if HB50 passes, it would turn me into a felon overnight. I hope it will not be necessary for us to move to another state. I am strongly urging you to please vote against this house bill.
This bill would do nothing to protect the law bidding citizens, in fact it would limit their ability to defend themselves against a criminal who ignores such laws. Otherwise, why would it not apply to law enforcement but to only law bidding citizens?
Thanks for your time.
Warren Twining"

So far, I got back one email, Rep. Joshua Hernandez:
"Warren, I am also not a fan of the bill and will not be supporting it. Rep. Joshua Hernandez."

I don't think the website is up to date, my district 32 representative is Jenifer Jones, but it shows Sweetser.

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So I went to all the House of Representatives website for all the districts:

I emailed each of the members:

"Hello, I am writing to you today to express my concern about HB50. My wife and I moved to New Mexico just a year ago and we really love it here. But if HB50 passes, it would turn me into a felon overnight. I hope it will not be necessary for us to move to another state. I am strongly urging you to please vote against this house bill.
This bill would do nothing to protect the law bidding citizens, in fact it would limit their ability to defend themselves against a criminal who ignores such laws. Otherwise, why would it not apply to law enforcement but to only law bidding citizens?
Thanks for your time.
Warren Twining"

So far, I got back one email, Rep. Joshua Hernandez:
"Warren, I am also not a fan of the bill and will not be supporting it. Rep. Joshua Hernandez."

I don't think the website is up to date, my district 32 representative is Jenifer Jones, but it shows Sweetser.

View Quote

This is a good idea.

Everyone we know needs to do this. Let these fuckers know the people are not happy with this shit.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 1:35:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Another bill pre filed. HB101 is a mag and assault weapon ban.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 2:38:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Been notifying those I know that pretty much every gun will make them felons, and that is what a decent number of current politicritters want to make them into.

Just about every pistol I own would make me a felon, not to mention every single AR mag.

Not a whole lot of people I know with guns don't have at least a full sized pistol or AR of some variant.  They deserve to know/be reminded of what politicians think of them.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:39:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I cringe everytime the legislature is in session. Nothing good ever comes of it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 2:10:26 AM EDT
[#16]
More bullshit.

HB 72 "Semi Auto Firearm Converter"

HB 100 14 day waiting period.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 5:43:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Semms to me that they are taking a shotgun style approach.
They are throwing a bunch of bills out and hoping that at least one of them sticks.
View Quote

They are doing it everywhere, any win is a win for the evil shits
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 9:15:04 PM EDT
[#19]
HB 9 committee hearing scheduled 24Jan @1330.

https://nmlegis.gov/Entity/House/Committee_Calendar
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:19:21 AM EDT
[#20]
NMSSA has sent out emails the last couple days with specific bills, and now a link to testify on Zoom next Tuesday, the 24th, 1:30 PM.  HB9, which addresses additional liability in the event minors gain access to firearms.

https://nmssa.org/news/

One of their older newsletters also has an easy button to email your reps.  I modified my email to make it sound less formy, and emphasize that I'm a normal person who's staring at a bunch of laws that seem intent to turn what I currently own, and what I currently do, into damned severe crimes for no evil act on my part.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#21]
SECTION 2. APPROPRIATION.--One million five hundred
thousand dollars ($1,500,000) is appropriated from the general
fund to the department of public safety for expenditure in
fiscal year 2024 to carry out the provisions of this act,
including the funding of additional local and statewide law
enforcement, court process and incarceration.

What about this?

New Mexico Constitution
Article II - Bill of Rights§ 6 Right to bear arms.Universal Citation: NM Const art II § 6

No law shall abridge the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful purposes, but nothing herein shall be held to permit the carrying of concealed weapons. No municipality or county shall regulate, in any way, an incident of the right to keep and bear arms. (As amended November 2, 1971 and November 2, 1986.)

We have seen municipalities and counties stop and back off but, what about these legislators that defy the US Constitution and the NM Constitution?  Does it not matter any more?
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 1:08:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Here is an example letter for everyone. This is not proof read.

But it is a for starting reference to reach out to the House of Representatives of New Mexico.  

Please change it as you see fit.

In Reference to: HB-50 and HB-101

To Whom It May Concern:

As a law abiding, productive resident of New Mexico, I want to express my concerns about HB-50 and HB-101. I’ve been law bidding gun owner; owning assault rifles and magazines that would fall under HB 50 and HB 101. These House Bills make owning such things illegal, therefore making myself and many others felons in an instant.  

I am strongly urging you to please vote against these bills. These bills would do nothing to protect the law bidding citizens, in fact it would limit their ability to defend themselves against a criminal, who ignores such laws. Passing HB-50 and HB-101, would have no effect on reducing crime. In 2019, New Mexico’s total amount of murders was 146. In the interest of column bill HB 101 to ban assault rifles, data collected by the FBI showed there was only one murder done by a rifle in the state of New Mexico during that year. More murders were committed using hands, fists, and feet, this number amounting to 5.  This shows that criminal is not dependent upon the assault rifle to carry out their offenses.

HB 101 bans effect lots of people in New Mexico. Referencing, the NICS Firearm check for over the last 6 years. The HB-101 would affect over 1 million New Mexico residents who have bought a firearm in the last 6 years , passing HB 50 or HB 101 only effects the law abiding in New Mexico.

Footnote:

1 https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2019/crime-in-the-u.s.-2019/tables/table-20

2 https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/nics_firearm_checks_-_month_year_by_state.pdf/view
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 12:27:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Bump!

We need to stop this in committee!

The list for the New Mexico House of Representatives Members.

The committee that is proposing this bill is meeting on Tuesdays and Thursday at 1:30 pm Mountain standard time.

We need to send a letter out to each representative and the members on the committee.

So far bill HB 50 and HB 101 is not schedule for next Tuesday and Thursday, but could added at anytime!
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 1:11:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Wrote my reps last week.

I haven’t heard from them. Which is weird, they usually get back to me the next day.

So I’m hoping they’re busy with phone calls & emails of people telling them to go fuck themselves!
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 4:21:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I sent email out to all Republicans representatives, and three responded back.

All three stated :

I want to thank you for your advocacy against these extreme anti-gun bills. I, too, share your concerns, and I will be working hard on Tuesday to help stop this Second Amendment-attacking bill. We must stand strong to protect our Constitutional rights.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:00:03 PM EDT
[#26]
HB9 is to be heard Tuesday, January 24, 2023, at 1:30 PM  (Room 317) by the House Consumer & Public Affairs Committee

Join through Zoom:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89037370054#success
Webinar ID: 890 3737 0054

Or One tap mobile :

US: +13462487799,,89037370054# or +16694449171,,89037370054#

Copied from an Email. This will probably be indicative on how the other bills will go.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 3:10:10 AM EDT
[#27]
SB 171 NFA ban. @AgeOne posted this in the GD thread.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:14:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Got a reply from Baca.

Feels a bit like pissing into the wind.  Shitty part is you need to wait to have something passed to have a hope of a court taking it, and *maybe* ruling in your favor.

But by all means, turn me into a fucking felon you assholes, instead of dealing with the actual criminals.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:38:52 AM EDT
[#29]

I'm so sick of this state... preaching to the choirs here.

whish I knew what to do.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 1:10:38 PM EDT
[#30]
I've received a few more replies:

Martin Zamora:
Thank you for taking the time to email me your concerns.  If you have followed my voting record since I got elected, you know I am a strong second amendment supporter!! Respectfully,
Rep. Martin Zamora
View Quote

Marian Matthews:
Thank you for your email. I receive several thousand emails throughout the legislative session and with virtually no staff, I cannot possibly read or respond to all emails. No offense intended, but due to the high volume of emails, I must prioritize my constituents. If you are a constituent, please put “Constituent” in your email heading, and include your street address in the body of the email. I will do my best to read and reply to your email.
View Quote

Martin Heinrich:
Dear Mr. Twining,
You wrote to me specifically about the inclusion of a pilot program in the Fiscal Year 2023 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) that promotes the safe storage of personally owned firearms.  Under this pilot program, the Department of Defense (DOD) would provide members of the military with locking devices, firearm safes, or both, and at the end of the pilot program, DOD is directed to submit a report to Congress on the costs of the program, and what impacts the pilot program had on suicide prevention.  Participation in the program would be completely voluntary, and nothing in this section of the NDAA would circumvent or undermine any existing safe storage policies, laws, or regulations on military installations.  I was proud to support the FY23 NDAA, and it passed the Senate on December 15, 2022, by a vote of 83 to 11.  It was then signed into law by President Biden on December 23, 2022.

Few sacrifices are as selfless as those our military service men and women make in defense of our country.  We owe them more than a debt of gratitude - we owe them action in both our words and deeds.  Moving forward, I will continue working to find solutions to prevent senseless gun violence in our communities and improve suicide prevention in our armed forces.  Service members, veterans, and all New Mexicans can count on me to be on their side as we seek bipartisan, common-sense solutions to reduce gun violence in our communities while still respecting constitutional rights.

Finally, thank you for reaching out to me.  Your experiences, ideas, thoughts, and concerns inform my work and decisions.  I hope you will keep writing me about this and other issues that are important to you.

Sign-up to receive email updates for the latest news on issues important to you.

Sincerely,

MARTIN HEINRICH
United States Senator
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2023 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
SECTION 2. APPROPRIATION.--One million five hundred
thousand dollars ($1,500,000) is appropriated from the general
fund to the department of public safety for expenditure in
fiscal year 2024 to carry out the provisions of this act,
including the funding of additional local and statewide law
enforcement, court process and incarceration.

What about this?

New Mexico Constitution
Article II - Bill of Rights§ 6 Right to bear arms.Universal Citation: NM Const art II § 6

No law shall abridge the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful purposes, but nothing herein shall be held to permit the carrying of concealed weapons. No municipality or county shall regulate, in any way, an incident of the right to keep and bear arms. (As amended November 2, 1971 and November 2, 1986.)

We have seen municipalities and counties stop and back off but, what about these legislators that defy the US Constitution and the NM Constitution?  Does it not matter any more?
View Quote

Its incredible that they can violate the NM/US constitution and not be held accountable. We see this happening in NY, CA IL and others. No idea how they can get away with it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 2:29:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Its incredible that they can violate the NM/US constitution and not be held accountable. We see this happening in NY, CA IL and others. No idea how they can get away with it.
View Quote

I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone on this or how it all works - if the legislature passes something that is in violation of the NM constitution, does that bill/law actually hold any weight?

What about the 2A sanctuary counties in the state?  When the 2A sanctuary counties came about the majority of the counties were 2A, minus the major metropolitan areas/liberal strongholds.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone on this or how it all works - if the legislature passes something that is in violation of the NM constitution, does that bill/law actually hold any weight?

What about the 2A sanctuary counties in the state?  When the 2A sanctuary counties came about the majority of the counties were 2A, minus the major metropolitan areas/liberal strongholds.
View Quote

I guess the conventional answer would be you don't pass laws that violate the constitution.

these bill, you could say with the exception of the storage law, violate the state constitution directly.

I can only figure a lawsuit would have to be filed to test this..

no idea.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:26:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I guess the conventional answer would be you don't pass laws that violate the constitution.

these bill, you could say with the exception of the storage law, violate the state constitution directly.

no idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no idea.

And remember, the ride is a fucking wild ride that will ruin you even if you win a lawsuit.  The hazard of being a responsible adult that is a productive member of society.  Punished for being decent folk.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#35]
I listened to the HB 9 committee meeting. While I was unable to hear its entirety, it seemed they were not interested in debate. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that it was voted on before they allowed remarks from the opposing view.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:48:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

And remember, the ride is a fucking wild ride that will ruin you even if you win a lawsuit.  The hazard of being a responsible adult that is a productive member of society.  Punished for being decent folk.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no idea.

The system crushes you 1000 different ways all with YOUR tax dollars to do it
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:53:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

no idea.
View Quote

I plan on submitting a potential plaintiff report to FPC the day the governor signed anything that passes. I assume the whole process will suck, but the alternative is worse. I would assume they would be interested in pursuing almost everything filed so far.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:34:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no idea.

And that's the whole root of the problem, not only state but federal also. "They" (powers that be) violate the constitution, but are not held responsible for the violation in anyway. No jail time, no major fine, no justice. So what's to stop them from committing these violations? nothing.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:05:14 PM EDT
[#39]
a statement from Rep. Lane, he's one of the ones instrumental in stopping these bills last go around on crime in general.

Link Posted: 1/26/2023 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

And that's the whole root of the problem, not only state but federal also. "They" (powers that be) violate the constitution, but are not held responsible for the violation in anyway. No jail time, no major fine, no justice. So what's to stop them from committing these violations? nothing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no idea.

There are so many laws on the books, if they decide to come after you, they can find something to charge you with. That’s the land of the free huh, ridiculous.

Government is so inefficient that once a law gets passed, that’s it, it’s law forever. Repeals rarely, if ever happen. Even if a law is ruled unconstitutional by middle courts, if the USSC hasn’t ruled on it, lower courts don’t have to follow the ruling.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 11:40:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Have you noticed all the anti gun bills are all women  listed on the bill as authors?  I just found out this anti gun shit started during the temperance movement. Mainly by the women's league.  It gives me great pleasure to use their NMBILLTRACKER to track my hated bills. I am tracking 10 firearm related bills.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Have you noticed all the anti gun bills are all women  listed on the bill as authors?  I just found out this anti gun shit started during the temperance movement. Mainly by the women's league.  It gives me great pleasure to use their NMBILLTRACKER to track my hated bills. I am tracking 10 firearm related bills.
View Quote

Not accurate - Soules has introduced at least one, banning NFA items in the state amongst other things within the bill.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 10:27:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Not accurate - Soules has introduced at least one, banning NFA items in the state amongst other things within the bill.
View Quote

Soules is a little bitch, so still accurate.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 12:58:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you want to track this stuff, go to NMbilltracker.com, Register and login.  It's kind of crappy and run by a NM League of Women voter so be nice and don't dick it up.  I have flagged all firearm bills with a tag "firearm".  All hunting bills with "nmgf". If you need any help PM me.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:05:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Here is a one stop option to email your legislators and demand they oppose this legislation:

https://oneclickpolitics.global.ssl.fastly.net/messages/edit?promo_id=19068
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:10:47 AM EDT
[#46]
And here’s the FPC link to oppose this bullshit. Scroll down to New Mexico:
https://www.firearmspolicy.org/act
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:20:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Committee hearings for the following Tuesday @1330 7Feb.

HB 50 Mag ban
HB 10014 day waiting period
HB 101 AWB/mag ban

HB 164 Permitless carry
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Committee hearings for the following Tuesday @1330 7Feb.

HB 50 Mag ban
HB 10014 day waiting period
HB 101 AWB/mag ban

HB 164 Permitless carry
View Quote

Okay, so if I understand this correctly, if it passes the committee, then it go's to the floor, then if it passes that, it go's to the other chamber, then it would be signed by the Governor...is this correct?
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:04:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Okay, so if I understand this correctly, if it passes the committee, then it go's to the floor, then if it passes that, it go's to the other chamber, then it would be signed by the Governor...is this correct?
View Quote

Pretty much. I am kinda embarrassed that IDK what happens if it gets amended though.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#50]
SB171 passed committee despite them acknowledging it was likely unconstitutional.

Suppressors were removed by amendment.

Hollowpoint (expanding) ammo was specifically addressed, and it fell under the intent of the bill.

This doesn't prohibit possession, but it will prohibit transfer and making SBRs and SBSs.

Trusts and wills were asked about and no-one had an answer. They didn't realize that items in the trust belonged to the trust and not the individuals. It was assumed that neither would allow transfer.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top