Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2021 10:42:32 AM EDT
Under Section 25.6(c)(1)(iv)(B) of 28 CFR Part 25 of the ATF's Federal Regulations, after 3 business days I am allowed to exercise my constitutional right to take possession of my firearm. Florida apparently has its own rule that states I may not take possession until this "Delay Status" has cleared. Given  the massive amount of guns being purchased in the United States that this "Delay" could go on in perpetuity.

I have a very common name, and since I bought my first firearm at 19 years old, I have gotten a delay on all but ONE occasion. I tried applying for a UPIN a few years back but I dropped the ball and never completed it so tha's my bad.

I have a beautiful Ruger 57 that I am waiting to take possession of and i ma passed the Federal waiting period. Do I have any options or avenues to fight this? I sent a couple emails this morning to Cyndi Stevenson and Travis Hutson (my Rep and Senator) explaining that my 2A rights were being withheld without cause, but I'm am not too confident that will help.

Anyone have any success on this front?

Update - moved to a "proceed" status this morning. It would appear that contacting the State Reps helped, but that could be entirely coincidental.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 10:22:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy on a Tuesday thru Friday.  Saturday, Sunday, and Monday the processing que is likely to be rather full if gun shows, etc. are going on.  Especially more than one "larger" show in the same weekend.  In the past year, I've gotten 4 xfers done, and this pattern has held.  On a weekend, may as well come back Monday and pick it up.    My last one on a Saturday took almost 24 hours to get cleared through.  The one before was on a Thursday, and I cleared the system in 10 minutes.  

I don't think a CCW will help, the UPIN may.

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 10:39:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy on a Tuesday thru Friday.  Saturday, Sunday, and Monday the processing que is likely to be rather full if gun shows, etc. are going on.  Especially more than one "larger" show in the same weekend.  In the past year, I've gotten 4 xfers done, and this pattern has held.  On a weekend, may as well come back Monday and pick it up.    My last one on a Saturday took almost 24 hours to get cleared through.  The one before was on a Thursday, and I cleared the system in 10 minutes.  

I don't think a CCW will help, the UPIN may.

View Quote

This is good to know. As of now I am still in a "Delay" which sucks!
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 7:33:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Florida uses fdle for background checks

pawnshops use ncis if you are picking up your firearm that you pawned
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 8:17:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Florida uses fdle for background checks

pawnshops use ncis if you are picking up your firearm that you pawned
View Quote

Isn't the FLDE just the portal / go between? I think it says on the website that they use the NICS system
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 10:47:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 10:46:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
FDLE uses FCIC/NCIC and NICS. In the end, contact Attorney Eric Friday of FL Carry. He's working on something regarding this.
View Quote

Thanks for this info. I will inevitably get delayed again in the next 3-6 months when I get the itch to demand my wife let me buy something else. I say 6 months because the "demand" turns in to pleading and begging until she relents!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top