Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2021 3:08:18 PM EDT
I own suppressors and SBRs in MO and I thought I recall reading that we didn’t allow Destructive Devices, like a 40mm launcher.

Now I’m trying to research this and it looks like I was wrong and DDs are allowed here.

Anyone able to confirm we can own DDs at the state level?
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 4:12:59 PM EDT
[#1]
It's come up here in this forum a couple times that I can remember. Seems like there were a few cases of people owning them here in MO cited, but I don't recall anyone ever getting to the bottom of how they were able to pull it off.

Plan B is located here in MO and shows up as the only DD dealer in MO. They could probably tell you what you need to know. http://planbordnance-com.3dcartstores.com/
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 4:22:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's come up here in this forum a couple times that I can remember. Seems like there were a few cases of people owning them here in MO cited, but I don't recall anyone ever getting to the bottom of how they were able to pull it off.

Plan B is located here in MO and shows up as the only DD dealer in MO. They could probably tell you what you need to know. http://planbordnance-com.3dcartstores.com/
View Quote

Thanks, worth the discussion with them.

I haven’t looked into DDs much but know that you can buy the LMT launcher receiver, Form 1 it to make your own, then attach a 40mm barrel once approved. Makes it easier than a Form 4 DD.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had a couple DD transfers that I have received that were approved but they were both originally SBS that were re-classified to DD so they would have been SBS by MO law but were listed as DD on the form 4 based on federal law.

ATF sent me a notice that I wasn't a DD dealer on the transfer.  Not sure why, they got their $200 tax x 2 coming in and going out.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 10:03:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have had a couple DD transfers that I have received that were approved but they were both originally SBS that were re-classified to DD so they would have been SBS by MO law but were listed as DD on the form 4 based on federal law.

ATF sent me a notice that I wasn't a DD dealer on the transfer.  Not sure why, they got their $200 tax x 2 coming in and going out.
View Quote

That checks out, there is nothing on the books in missouri about large bore guns, just launchers of explosives.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 12:02:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That checks out, there is nothing on the books in missouri about large bore guns, just launchers of explosives.
View Quote

Which rsmo statute deals with DD?  Ive ran through 571.020 & 571.072 and neither seem to forbid LEGAL ownership.... I am sure I am missing something but just cant see it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 12:40:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Which rsmo statute deals with DD?  Ive ran through 571.020 & 571.072 and neither seem to forbid LEGAL ownership.... I am sure I am missing something but just cant see it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't the beginning of 020 cover it, assuming you don't meet the exemptions at the bottom? It's separate from #6 on down.

571.020.  Possession--manufacture--transport--repair--sale of certain weapons a crime--exceptions--penalties.  
1.  A person commits an offense if such person knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells:

(1)  An explosive weapon;

(2)  An explosive, incendiary or poison substance or material with the purpose to possess, manufacture or sell an explosive weapon;

(3)  A gas gun;

(4)  A bullet or projectile which explodes or detonates upon impact because of an independent explosive charge after having been shot from a firearm; or

(5)  Knuckles; or

(6)  Any of the following in violation of federal law:

(a)  A machine gun;

(b)  A short-barreled rifle or shotgun;

(c)  A firearm silencer; or

(d)  A switchblade knife.

2.  A person does not commit an offense pursuant to this section if his or her conduct involved any of the items in subdivisions (1) to (5) of subsection 1, the item was possessed in conformity with any applicable federal law, and the conduct:

(1)  Was incident to the performance of official duty by the Armed Forces, National Guard, a governmental law enforcement agency, or a penal institution; or

(2)  Was incident to engaging in a lawful commercial or business transaction with an organization enumerated in subdivision (1) of this section; or

(3)  Was incident to using an explosive weapon in a manner reasonably related to a lawful industrial or commercial enterprise; or

(4)  Was incident to displaying the weapon in a public museum or exhibition; or

(5)  Was incident to using the weapon in a manner reasonably related to a lawful dramatic performance.

3.  An offense pursuant to subdivision (1), (2), (3) or (6) of subsection 1 of this section is a class D felony; a crime pursuant to subdivision (4) or (5) of subsection 1 of this section is a class A misdemeanor.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 12:46:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Doesn't the beginning of 020 cover it, assuming you don't meet the exemptions at the bottom? It's separate from #6 on down.

571.020.  Possession--manufacture--transport--repair--sale of certain weapons a crime--exceptions--penalties.  
1.  A person commits an offense if such person knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells:

(1)  An explosive weapon;

(2)  An explosive, incendiary or poison substance or material with the purpose to possess, manufacture or sell an explosive weapon;

(3)  A gas gun;

(4)  A bullet or projectile which explodes or detonates upon impact because of an independent explosive charge after having been shot from a firearm; or

(5)  Knuckles; or

(6)  Any of the following in violation of federal law:

(a)  A machine gun;

(b)  A short-barreled rifle or shotgun;

(c)  A firearm silencer; or

(d)  A switchblade knife.

2.  A person does not commit an offense pursuant to this section if his or her conduct involved any of the items in subdivisions (1) to (5) of subsection 1, the item was possessed in conformity with any applicable federal law, and the conduct:

(1)  Was incident to the performance of official duty by the Armed Forces, National Guard, a governmental law enforcement agency, or a penal institution; or

(2)  Was incident to engaging in a lawful commercial or business transaction with an organization enumerated in subdivision (1) of this section; or

(3)  Was incident to using an explosive weapon in a manner reasonably related to a lawful industrial or commercial enterprise; or

(4)  Was incident to displaying the weapon in a public museum or exhibition; or

(5)  Was incident to using the weapon in a manner reasonably related to a lawful dramatic performance.

3.  An offense pursuant to subdivision (1), (2), (3) or (6) of subsection 1 of this section is a class D felony; a crime pursuant to subdivision (4) or (5) of subsection 1 of this section is a class A misdemeanor.
View Quote

Seems like the ammo could violate those sections, but not so sure about the launcher itself.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#8]
From 571.010

(7) "Explosive weapon", any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas bomb or similar device designed or adapted for the purpose of inflicting death, serious physical injury, or substantial property damage; or any device designed or adapted for delivering or shooting such a weapon. For the purposes of this subdivision, the term "explosive" shall mean any chemical compound mixture or device, the primary or common purpose of which is to function by explosion, including but not limited to, dynamite and other high explosives, pellet powder, initiating explosives, detonators, safety fuses, squibs, detonating cords, igniter cords, and igniters or blasting agents;
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:08:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
From 571.010

View Quote

Ah. Yeah that would appear to cover them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:11:53 PM EDT
[#10]
The exemption was in the "Looking at infecting your state" thread I believe.

37mm is a flare launcher if that helps you.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 10:05:54 AM EDT
[#11]
571.020 is a definitions section, right?  

571.010 section 2 seems to cover "Legal" ownership of launcher and projectiles for range days would it not?  (Explosives still couldn't be stored without an FEL however could be mixed on site for immediate use in projectiles)

" 2.  A person does not commit an offense pursuant to this section if his or her conduct involved any of the items in subdivisions (1) to (5) of subsection 1, the item was possessed in conformity with any applicable federal law, and the conduct:

(5)  Was incident to using the weapon in a manner reasonably related to a lawful dramatic performance.

Link Posted: 3/26/2021 10:39:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Now define "a lawful dramatic performance."
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 10:49:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I get your point but this same section would then also ban MG, SBR & SBS

if subsection 2. doesn't allow for DD's, then it doesn't allow anything else listed in subsection 1......
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 10:26:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Thank you guys for showing the specific laws regarding DDs in MO. I’ll take a look and possibly request clarification from a lawyer if I can find one in state that is knowledgeable on 2A laws.

How does all this fit in with the Feb 2021 vote in MO to prohibit local LE from enforcing federal gun law? Seems like at the state level this means anything goes, I would figure DDs fit in there too

I would still follow all federal laws to Form 1 a LMT M203 receiver. Just want to be sure that MO won’t have a problem with it.

https://www.ksdk.com/mobile/article/news/local/missouri-house-passes-ban-enforcement-federal-gun-laws/63-9f7d9559-b0e2-44a3-8a8d-284febd4fb8c
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top