Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2022 7:21:18 PM EDT
Hello,

Looking for some advice here.
Wife and I will be in the Morristown area for a small vacation at the end of this month and to do a little recon.
We are looking for a conservative area as we always vote red. CT is a clown show. (I moved here from Central Europe long time ago, so technically not a Yankee?).
I work in IT, but change of career is always a possibility of course. Living within commuting distance of 40-45 miles from larger city like Knoxville would probably be best bet? So let's call it within 45 miles radius of Knoxville. (I don't want to live near Knoxville, just go there for work but maybe you have other recommendations?).
The goal is to have a property out in the country, more space, privacy and so I can shoot in my backyard.
What's there to do in NE Tennessee?
What towns should we check out?
Should we visit Knoxville? (It's going to be July 4th long weekend).
What places do you recommend we see while on vacation?

What about Johnson City? Looks promising but worried about lack of jobs up there.

I am going to create identical thread in the South Carolina Hometown. Basically we are looking between NW South Carolina and NE Tennessee.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 6:17:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rebel_rifle] [#1]
I wish I had a dollar for every post like this. OP, you and tons of others from up north and out west are wanting to move here. As long as you don’t say “this is how we did it up there………..”, you’re welcome. I’m serious.

It all boils down to this:

1. School age kids?
2.  Budget? This is the main driver.
3. Internet needs?
4. Other needs, doctor, medical, hospital, etc.?
5. Airport/air travel needs?
6. Entertainment wants, restaurants, theater, etc.?

The closer you are to larger cities/towns, the better the amenities, schools, internet, etc. but the higher the price. Start lowering the price and your amenities start to get less.

The market down here is nuts like everywhere else although I think with the rise in mortgage rates it might be cooling off a bit.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 12:35:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gotpierogi] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rebel_rifle:
I wish I had a dollar for every post like this. OP, you and tons of others from up north and out west are wanting to move here. As long as you don’t say “this is how we did it up there………..”, you’re welcome. I’m serious.

It all boils down to this:

1. School age kids?
3. Internet needs?

The closer you are to larger cities/towns, the better the amenities, schools, internet, etc. but the higher the price. Start lowering the price and your amenities start to get less.

The market down here is nuts like everywhere else although I think with the rise in mortgage rates it might be cooling off a bit.
View Quote

I bet that would be lots of dollars lol.

No need to worry about me. As I mentioned, I moved to U.S. from Central Europe (Poland) many years ago, which is why we would get along just fine. You will never hear me say “this is how we did it up there………..”.
Tennessee or SC are the areas where I would totally fit in. CT is the original state where I have been living, simply because some extended family was already here since the 70's.

1. School age kids?
No kids.
$250k, maybe $300k. We are not planning to move until next year, so I am hoping prices will come down as interest rates go up.
3. Internet needs?
Steady cable internet, but I don't care about fiber. As long as I have a decently fast cable internet, I will be fine.
Wife and I are in very early 30's. She works in healthcare, so any medical office or a hospital would be great for her to do Admin work. I work in IT (tech), so would probably need to live within 45-50 mile radius of a decent city like Knoxville or Johnson City?
None really. We don't fly often and when we do, we can deal with longer drive.
We don't go out often so if we have to drive a bit longer to a restaurant once in a while, that's fine. We actually live pretty boring life haha. Although, having a gym, shooting range and a place to hike within reasonable distance would be neat. Maybe some clothing stores for the wife to go and visit.
How many acres do I need to shoot on my own property?

Any places you recommend we see as tourists on vacation? The furthest we would drive is Knoxville as we will be seeing Greenville area in South Carolina first, and then we will head out to Tennessee.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 2:49:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Start with Redfin.  I don’t think your budget is aligned with your needs.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 5:37:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gotpierogi] [#4]
I just looked on Zillow and noticed that anything with decent amount of land is really expensive.
Looks like I will either need to look for less land or hope that by next year prices come down.
What a bummer.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 6:16:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rebel_rifle] [#5]
I agree with the other poster, your budget is pretty low.

But then again it all boils down to what you consider “acreage” and it also depends on what size/type/age of house you’re looking for too.

As you get cheaper you’re getting further and further out, likely. Your then getting into less quality/speed of internet as well. And you run a very strong risk of getting something that is a shitty deal. Bad neighbors, landfill next door, etc., etc.

What ever you end up getting serious about put boots on the ground and go see it. Pics on the internet won’t cut it.

ETA: OP, don’t be like the dumbass on GD that bought a place in TN without even visiting it. He only saw pics. He was not pleased in the end, go figure
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 5:32:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gotpierogi] [#6]
We are not planning to buy until next year. Really depends on what we will like more and what's going to be cheaper - SC or TN.
Just going this month to see Pigeon Forge, Maryville and going to check out restaurants and stores in downtown Knoxville.
It does seem like SC is currently more affordable in regards to land, than TN.
I really don't want to have neighbors on top of me again .
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 5:51:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Pigeon Forge is the epitome of tourist trap. The traffic there sucks, really sucks. If looking for property, I would avoid Sevier county like the plague.

Maryville is quite a bit better and Blount county is far better than Sevier county, IMHO.

Do remember that SC has a state income tax, TN does not.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 10:44:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gotpierogi:

How many acres do I need to shoot on my own property?

Any places you recommend we see as tourists on vacation?
View Quote

As long as you are outside city limits, the amount of acreage to shoot on your own property is going to depend on what type of shooting you are wanting to do and how the property is laid out.  If just doing some basic pistol shooting, plinking with a .22, or setting up a chrono to check velocities, a half acre with an appropriate natural backstop could work.  If my place (in middle TN) was mostly flat with a hillside at one end for a natural backstop, I could probably put in a 500 yard range without much trouble, but the elevation varies over 300 ft on my property, with the rate of elevation change varying and few level areas, so just over 100 yards is the best I can manage.

On a weekend in the summer in east TN, and even worse a holiday weekend, the top places I would recommend avoiding - unless you enjoy crowds of people and traffic that moves slower than you could walk - are Cades Cove in Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Gatlinburg, and Pigeon Forge, in that order.  Visting them in the middle of the week is a much better idea.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 2:11:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gotpierogi] [#9]
Trip was great, not counting a little incident in downtown Knoxville that involved bunch of angry college looking students walking around with signs, yelling and protesting abortion ban. Out of all the places, it had to be Knoxville lol .

We went to have a dinner at Market square and by the time we finished, they were gone.
Traffic in Knoxville was not bad at all. We went there on a July 4th weekend (Saturday and Sunday).

Really liked East Tennessee as much as South Carolina. Gatlinburg was really cool to visit. I think it was the most patriotic town I have seen.
We drove around and passed through Sevierville on the way back to the Hotel.

I wish there was more time than just 2 days. Need to return for a bit longer stay
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Glad your trip went well!

As others have mentioned, Alcoa and Maryville are close to Knoxville, and are growing.  On the Eastern side, perhaps look at Jefferson City, Dandridge, and Morristown.  All are within 45 minutes of Knoxville, from your OP.  Land is getting expensive, as many others are moving from across the nation to enjoy moderate weather and no personal income taxes.  I live in Sevier County, and you can’t find a builder—so many folks are either building vacation homes to rent AirBNB or moving to stay.  Finding enough property in the county to shoot on will be a challenge.  I highly recommend picking  a real estate agent, and give them your list of must-haves and nice-to-haves…let them go to work for you.

I’d love to sell you my house, but I’m not ready to retire just yet…

Best of luck!
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 9:30:40 AM EDT
[#11]
For your budget, I would take a look at Monroe or Cocke counties. Everyone likes  to hate of Cocke County, but I think it has everything one could want and then some.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 7:27:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN] [#12]
I moved to U.S. from Central Europe (Poland) many years ago

Finally one we don't have to worry about

Moved back to TN from Greenville Spartanburg about a year ago after living there for 6 years. The place is growing crazy fast, seemed even faster than Knox. Traffic is a nightmare and I'm guessing is about like the Autobahn

The demographics are a lot different there as well. Greenville is a cool city, but seems like people are trying to fit 50 lbs is a 5 lb bag.

ETA just realized I'm about a month behind
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:39:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I'll give you another suggestion since you're into IT: Chattanooga. They have some of the fastest broadband in the country and they own it. Routinely considered one of the best areas of the southeast to live for people that like outdoor rec. I like it better than Johnson City, Knoxville, and Nashville. Plus there are a lot of rural areas to the NE still fairly close to the city if you want land.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:22:58 AM EDT
[#14]
You can get an IT job in the tri cities right now. With alot of folks moving to work from home positions, its opened up opportunities all around.  There is definitely more work in knoxville but the tri cities area is way better IMO but it depends on what you want.

SC is way more expensive to live then TN. Speaking from experience here. Your best bet is to move down and find a place to live and add land to your longer term plan. Thank all the transplants dropping 500+ grand on stuff that is worth maybe 300 on a good day......

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top