Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2020 11:40:48 AM EDT
Hello Michiganites. I have an opportunity to travel this March to a buddy's cabin near Hulbert, MI and do some snowmobiling. I've never been to your part of the country and I am seeking some advice. We are looking at flying into Flint and renting a vehicle to drive the remaining 5-6 hours or I will drive my jeep from NC and pick my wife and boys up in Flint. Driving through unfamiliar and remote territory in winter with only what I carry off the plane is a concern for me. I'm reaching out to you folks until I'm able to chat with my buddy we're going to visit.

I'd like to hear anyone from that area's thoughts and opinions.

Regards
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 4:05:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Is there a particular reason you chose Flint? It's arguably the worst part of Michigan, much of it is very dangerous. It was the murder capital of the United States many times in recent years. The police are extremely understaffed. They made a documentary about it a couple of years ago.

Flint Town | Official Trailer [HD] | Netflix

If you must choose Flint, have them stay in maybe Birch Run or Grand Blanc (nearby, especially Grand Blanc, but Much safer).

You could fly them into Detroit Metro (which is actually in Romulus) or Lansing and have them stay near the airport as an alternative.

If you're just flying there all together, renting a car at the airport, and driving off, you should be absolutely fine.

I just checked and Lansing to Hulbert is almost the exact same distance as Flint and a LOT safer. Romulus (Detroit Metro Airport) is about an hour more.

Driving may be a good alternative since you could bring a gun/guns. There's lots of outdoor stuff to do in the U.P. I'm not the type to feel distressed about not being armed 24/7 (even though I generally am), but Flint and Detroit (on your route) are two of the most dangerous places in the country. 99.9% you're fine, but if something goes sideways...

Also you may not be that well prepped for snow, especially Upper Peninsula snow, being from a warmer state. You'll want coats, boots, hats, gloves, heavy socks, etc for everyone. Slight but real chance you could have your trip interrupted by snow or be snowed in for a bit. Not usually dangerous but it helps if you have stuff. Again might be better in the car. The Upper Peninsula is some of the northernmost territory in the U.S. and it gets a lot colder than the rest of Michigan, which is why it's such a Winter recreation destination. It's pretty much a different state, mostly in a good way.

If it snows/freezing rain/sleet whatever during your drive, SLOW DOWN.  Especially if you aren't used to driving in the snow. We kind of joke about Southerners not being able to drive in the Winter but there's nothing funny about sliding/spinning off the road with your family. I live in the Detroit area, drive to Lansing three days for work (about 80 miles one way) and on slippery days there are always cars slid off the road. The ditches can be deep and it's no laughing matter to be stuck in one, especially if nobody sees you right away. Slow down/take a break if you need to if the driving gets bad.

I live near Detroit. If you find yourself in that area and want to take a break/get some dinner or something, I'd be happy to show you around. With a little notice we could make an Arfcom thing out of it.

Also, you probably know this already, but it's not exactly a thriving metropolis up there. This is a plus in many people's book, but plan accordingly. If I were going up there I'd have at least loose plans on where I was going to shop for necessities/food/things I forgot/sporting gear/whatever, where I was going to eat, how to find medical care/EMS (I imagine just 911 but the UP can be very rural, police/ambulance can be an hour or more away. Again, can be a plus in many cases but plan ahead). If you like to eat out, there are a few restaurants, etc. If your kids get bored easily, plan for that.

Good luck, and have fun!
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 9:56:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Flying into Bishop airport in Flint is easy.  Bishop is a small airport and everything is on site.  It is technically in Flint but in actuality, it is outside of the city.  Never had any kind of problem there.

And driving I75 through Detroit and Flint and Saginaw is fine as well.  Don't stop and get gas at midnight and I am sure you won't have a problem.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 9:57:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not too familiar with da U.P., eh?  

But the Flint airport area is OK, near my hometown.

ETA:  And it's Michiganders.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is there a particular reason you chose Flint? It's arguably the worst part of Michigan, much of it is very dangerous. It was the murder capital of the United States many times in recent years. The police are extremely understaffed. They made a documentary about it a couple of years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfNURrdgWTU

If you must choose Flint, have them stay in maybe Birch Run or Grand Blanc (nearby, especially Grand Blanc, but Much safer).

You could fly them into Detroit Metro (which is actually in Romulus) or Lansing and have them stay near the airport as an alternative.

If you're just flying there all together, renting a car at the airport, and driving off, you should be absolutely fine.

I just checked and Lansing to Hulbert is almost the exact same distance as Flint and a LOT safer. Romulus (Detroit Metro Airport) is about an hour more.

Driving may be a good alternative since you could bring a gun/guns. There's lots of outdoor stuff to do in the U.P. I'm not the type to feel distressed about not being armed 24/7 (even though I generally am), but Flint and Detroit (on your route) are two of the most dangerous places in the country. 99.9% you're fine, but if something goes sideways...

Also you may not be that well prepped for snow, especially Upper Peninsula snow, being from a warmer state. You'll want coats, boots, hats, gloves, heavy socks, etc for everyone. Slight but real chance you could have your trip interrupted by snow or be snowed in for a bit. Not usually dangerous but it helps if you have stuff. Again might be better in the car. The Upper Peninsula is some of the northernmost territory in the U.S. and it gets a lot colder than the rest of Michigan, which is why it's such a Winter recreation destination. It's pretty much a different state, mostly in a good way.

If it snows/freezing rain/sleet whatever during your drive, SLOW DOWN.  Especially if you aren't used to driving in the snow. We kind of joke about Southerners not being able to drive in the Winter but there's nothing funny about sliding/spinning off the road with your family. I live in the Detroit area, drive to Lansing three days for work (about 80 miles one way) and on slippery days there are always cars slid off the road. The ditches can be deep and it's no laughing matter to be stuck in one, especially if nobody sees you right away. Slow down/take a break if you need to if the driving gets bad.

I live near Detroit. If you find yourself in that area and want to take a break/get some dinner or something, I'd be happy to show you around. With a little notice we could make an Arfcom thing out of it.

Also, you probably know this already, but it's not exactly a thriving metropolis up there. This is a plus in many people's book, but plan accordingly. If I were going up there I'd have at least loose plans on where I was going to shop for necessities/food/things I forgot/sporting gear/whatever, where I was going to eat, how to find medical care/EMS (I imagine just 911 but the UP can be very rural, police/ambulance can be an hour or more away. Again, can be a plus in many cases but plan ahead). If you like to eat out, there are a few restaurants, etc. If your kids get bored easily, plan for that.

Good luck, and have fun!
View Quote
Just flying into HFE (cheapest flights from Charlotte NC). No intentions of staying anywhere near Flint. Hitting the ground and heading north!
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 12:37:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just flying into HFE (cheapest flights from Charlotte NC). No intentions of staying anywhere near Flint. Hitting the ground and heading north!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfNURrdgWTU

Good luck, and have fun!
Should be fine, then. Have fun!
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Should be fine, then. Have fun!
View Quote
Thanks for all the helpful info and the offer to meet up! I'm planning to drive up the day before and stay with relatives of some close friends a couple hours from Flint. I'll then pick up the family at the airport the next day and roll. Your advice on the cold weather and preparations for it are precisely why I'm driving up. Looking forward to some fun.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:32:08 AM EDT
[#7]
IM sent
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:31:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Watch the weather, you could get stuffed at the Mackinaw Bridge if the winds are high.

https://www.mackinacbridge.org/fares-traffic/bridge-cam/
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 1:20:01 PM EDT
[#9]
have a beer at Pine Stump for me... their cheezy pizza/bread is the bomb.

Trail up to Crisp Point lighthouse / two heart  is fun

If your adventurous you can sled to whitefish point, see Canada and the bell from the Edmond Fitzgerald.

lake Superior Brewing Company in Grand Marais is a must... whitefish, hand made pizza and their beer brazed Rueben is out of this world.  have a pitcher of the 8.2% IPA and see if you can make it back to your sled

Get some Keweenaw brewing company widow maker.... you'll be ruined for all other beers.

Gustafson's smoked fish was voted best in America, they also have great smoked deer / elk sausage and jerky. You'll pass it about 20 min after you cross the Mack. Great place to pick up stuff to snack on in your cabin.

Damn, I cant wait for June and our sxs trail riding / fishing trip!
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:21:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't drink and operate machinery. Seriously. The Sheriff's and the DNR patrol the trails and I've taken care of too many patient's who've gotten plowed and driven sleds into trees.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Don't drink and operate machinery. Seriously. The Sheriff's and the DNR patrol the trails and I've taken care of too many patient's who've gotten plowed and driven sleds into trees.
View Quote
Second this. Treat it like a car. Don’t drink and drive. My buddies have had close calls. Not worth it.

Otherwise, your plan sounds good. Bring a compact shovel in case you get stuck. Cell phone service in the UP is spotty so plan to be self sufficient to get yourself out of things.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Welcome, I live in the eastern UP.

The Flint airport is fine to fly into, just be judicious where you fill the rental with gasoline on return, and stay on 75 headed north.
Pellston (PLN) is a nice small airport and gets you a few hours closer. Chippewa County (CIU) is tiny but an hour drive from Hulbert.  Consider those alternatives.
Bring warm clothes and snowmobiling gear, could be 5 degrees, could be 40s.

North of Gaylord keep half a tank of gas in your vehicle.  Especially at night.

I'm not a snowmobiler, so can't give tips there, but have fun and be safe!
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 12:55:13 AM EDT
[#13]
So are you here yet?  Coming soon?
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 1:01:10 AM EDT
[#14]
If you are only going to be trail riding, the whole U.P. is good with the least snow in the Escanaba area.  If you are going to be doing any 'off trail' riding, then the best places are the ones with the most snow and that will be in the Newberry, Grand Marais area or else over on the west end by Ironwood and up into the keweenaw penninsula (Houghton/Hancock)  Lots and lots of snow in those areas and good off trail riding if you have someone with you that knows where to go (and not get lost).
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 1:04:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Oh, and btw, once you cross over the Mackinaw bridge, us locals are known as Yoopers.  
Have a pasty while you're here.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 11:14:12 PM EDT
[#16]
North bound in the morning! I’ll be in Hulbert Friday afternoon. Looking forward to some fun with you Yoopers!
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Have a safe trip. Watch out for drunks.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:20:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
North bound in the morning! I’ll be in Hulbert Friday afternoon. Looking forward to some fun with you Yoopers!
View Quote
you'll be a little bit too far away for me to stop by and have a drink with you.  So have a good time and remember to stay on your side of the trail.  Some folks don't.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 6:27:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

you'll be a little bit too far away for me to stop by and have a drink with you.  So have a good time and remember to stay on your side of the trail.  Some folks don't.
View Quote
Road trail 45 today up near Paradise. Conditions were great. Had a couple beers at Tahquamenon Falls Brewery & Pub.

Everyone I’ve interacted with up here has been super friendly and helpful. And this is a beautiful part of the country. I’m so glad I made the trip.

HeadiNg out for some dinner and a couple beers tonight and another day of sledding tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Sounds like you're having a good time!  That's great.  I've been in that brewery before when I was visiting the falls.  Neat place and the beer was good.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 9:10:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Post up some pics!
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 8:44:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Post up some pics!
View Quote
I’ll get some up when I get home tomorrow. Had a great time!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top