Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2019 8:32:30 PM EDT
I've fished the outer banks of NC quite a bit and have most of the salt water gear. I'd like to plan a trip to fish the marshes of LA for trout, redfish, basically whatever .. we are not too picky. What's the best time to come in the spring? It's a big place, so what general areas / towns should I look for? Time frame is May 19 - ? when my son gets out of school. We are not against booking a guide for a day, maybe, but would prefer to DIY if possible. We're mostly artificial spin fisherman, a bit fly fishing if the wind is good, but not against bait fishing where appropriate.

In addition to to my son and I kayak fishing, we'd have the wife and my daughter (10) along for a basic vacation. So we'd need a place to stay with a pool, some basic stuff to keep them occupied, etc.

Also advice on how bad the bugs are, what gear we'd likely need if different from the coast of NC. Some places to shoot, if there's anything cool nearby, etc.

I'd be appreciative of any advice on where to look and plan for.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 10:57:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Depending on what other entertainment the family is looking for you can find
really good marsh fishing fairly close to  -  New Orleans - lotsa good places there to take the family, my favorite is the Aquarium, WWII museum is also excellent
Houma - old plantation homes that have accommodations if that's your thing, with good fishing just down the road at Dulac or a little longer drive will get you to
the Leeville /Golden meadow area, south of that is Grande Isle.  Old Hwy 1 between Golden Meadow Grand Isle has places to drop a kayak in and poke around in the marsh.
A look at Google Earth will probably help plan the fishing part of the trip.
Good luck and post a fishing report
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top