Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2023 3:30:22 PM EDT
I have a Tenkara pole and would like recommendations on which common flys to find/purchase for trout, bass etc.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#1]
X caddis.
You'll be limited to smaller streams with the tankara though, and I haven't spent much time in those waters.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 11:26:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a Tenkara pole and would like recommendations on which common flys to find/purchase for trout, bass etc.
View Quote

I look and see what bugs are hatching during what month in the area you are going to be fishing, and then find the lures that mimic that.

You can find decent fly makers in towns near the trout hot spots, and ask what they recommend in that area for the time you're fishing.

Example....grasshoppers were everywhere in SW Montana in July....so we found a little general store that had hand tied flies that mimic grass hoppers.

We killed it on cutthroats during that trip with them.

And they were like a buck each....total bargain.

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 2:28:30 AM EDT
[#3]
thank you gents!
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 4:54:49 PM EDT
[#4]
North Idaho Summer High Lakes Black Caddis Fly
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 5:26:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
North Idaho Summer High Lakes Black Caddis Fly
View Quote

@boltedsafe
is “summer high lakes” a region in n idaho? or the name of the black caddis fly?
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Northern Idaho in the Summer fishing high altitude lakes use a black Caddis fly 10, 12, 14.  You can also use a clear bubble and a spinning rod.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#7]
thought so thank you

are there any resources that show when hatches typically occur?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top