Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2020 9:16:20 PM EDT
And I want to make her dream come true.
Since she was a kid she has had a drawing to go there and I want to fulfill her dreams.
I’m a 22 year career Marine 90% disabled. I am wondering how far the Hunter Army Airfield is from everything as she enjoys lodging on a military base.
Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated! We expect to be there in September.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 10:57:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Since she was a kid she has had a drawing to go there and I want to fulfill her dreams.
I’m a 22 year career Marine 90% disabled. I am wondering how far the Hunter Army Airfield is from everything as she enjoys lodging on a military base.
Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated! We expect to be there in September.
Thanks!
View Quote
Hunter is in Midtown. The main attractions are downtown which is only a couple of mins to drive or uber to. Then there is the beach which is about 30 mins from Hunter, 20 from downtown.

I grew up in Savannah. She has always had a special magical place in my heart, that Savannah. Good for you for making your wife's dream come true. Tell her to visit Bonneventure Cemetery and try The Crab Shack on Tybee.

ETA thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 12:20:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Abercorn is an ancient Yamacraw word meaning "stoplight every 20 yards".
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:38:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Savannah is a “big” small town.  You will have no trouble getting it figured out quickly.

Downtown is made up of squares. Research that and figure out if there’s anything you’d want to see there, many have some type of history to them.  There’s plenty of cafes and restaurants.  Carriage and bus tours.  Historical sites such as Bonaventure Cemetery (as mentioned) and homes (such as Johnny Mercer house).  Broughton street (shopping and restaurants) and River Street (cobblestone River front with food/bars/restaurants and sometimes street entertainment).

Midtown is mostly homes, some restaurants.  Hunter is kinda midtown/southside border.

Southside is a more mall/hospitals/college (GSU), “city” type area...think Best Buy, dicks, grocery stores, etc.  not scenic, but restaurants and hotel options.

Then out from downtown is whitemarsh, Wilmington, and Tybee islands.

There are also shows/performances at the Savannah theater that are a good time.

September will be hot and humid but Savannah is always pretty and enjoyable.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:38:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Listen to this man, he knows what he speaks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't leave out the 8th Air Force Museum in Pooler, right up I-95.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 1:19:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Hunter airfield is very near Oglethorpe Mall  that is on Abercorn .  Unless things have changed Hunter is just that , an airfield .   I have never known of " lodgings " being available on the base .  Except for current military personnel.

White Bluff road is/was  is about as close as you can get to seeing the base .   I believe there is a gate somewhere to the base on that road .

Savannah is a beautiful city but I grew tired of it real fast .   Of all the places I had to be  Savannah is at the top of my list of never wanting to live in again .

I got tired of the area real quick .

But I hope you enjoy your visit .  Do the touristy stuff . Try to stay in the very best hotels you can as the city is dicey .

gd
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
You ain't even lyin' ??
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 12:27:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You ain't even lyin' ??
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You ain't even lyin' ??
That made me laugh.

Squaring the grinder as you go around all those cool little parks.

River Street is very touristy, if y'all wanna grab a drink and people watch.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 3:10:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That made me laugh.

Squaring the grinder as you go around all those cool little parks.

River Street is very touristy, if y'all wanna grab a drink and people watch.
View Quote
My favorite is 2Am driving the squares and victory drive playing Ella Fitzgerald and soaking up the humidity
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 10:00:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Great Hole in the Wall for early risers
http://thebreakfastclubtybee.com/index.html
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 11:11:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Great Hole in the Wall for early risers
http://thebreakfastclubtybee.com/index.html
View Quote
There's a ghost there, too. Used to be an old gnarly chef that worked there who died years ago. Pretty sure that's who the ghost is. Flipped my ponytail around and smacked my face.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:46:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hunter airfield is very near Oglethorpe Mall  that is on Abercorn .  Unless things have changed Hunter is just that , an airfield .   I have never known of " lodgings " being available on the base .  Except for current military personnel.
View Quote
There is an IHG on base with small number of rooms. Its been a few years but they were some of the most mediocre IHG facilities I've seen (like the transient stuff at Macgruder at Jackson)
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Club one used to be lit just saying
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 1:35:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Ft Stewart isnt terribly far and has lodging. I've never been to hunter.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:20:12 AM EDT
[#16]
If you're planning on spending any more than a weekend, be sure to search outside of Savannah for things to do. You can see pretty much see everything worth seeing in Savannah in one day.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Go get a meal at Crystal Beer Parlor.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 11:04:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ft Stewart isnt terribly far and has lodging. I've never been to hunter.
View Quote
The Ft Stewart Holiday Inn Express is pretty rough, too, and not really that close to Savannah.  Maybe the Green Roof but still not exactly a splendid visit.

I'd recommend staying downtown on Bay Street between City Market and Price Street.  Those should all be in the safer area of town and you are a lot closer to what you want to see.  I also recommend sticking with tours for going around to historical places.  There are lots of not so nice areas, and it can change depending on day or night, or go one street over and suddenly you've gone from ok touristy street to the ghetto.  Add to that if you drive from outside the city you'll end up spending a lot more of your time driving (traffic jams are definitely a thing there) and lots of money for parking.  If you do an on and off tour, ride the entire thing first so you get a feel for where it goes, what the stops are, what the areas are like, etc.  All of the tours should be available to get on at the visitors center on MLK.

Have fun but keep your head on a swivel.  Just be aware of where you are and don't stray from the touristy areas and you should be fine.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 6:27:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I miss old Savannah. Late 80s when I went to school. Now it’s all diesel trucks touring people around and bullshit. Crystal beer parlor is still there though; God love ‘em.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hunter is in Midtown. The main attractions are downtown which is only a couple of mins to drive or uber to. Then there is the beach which is about 30 mins from Hunter, 20 from downtown.

I grew up in Savannah. She has always had a special magical place in my heart, that Savannah. Good for you for making your wife's dream come true. Tell her to visit Bonneventure Cemetery and try The Crab Shack on Tybee.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks!

You grow up in Savannah proper or out on the islands?
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:38:36 PM EDT
[#21]
@BB I grew up first 1/2 on the Southside / Windsor Forest behind Armstrong,  second 1/2 on the islands. Left Tbee in 1996 but came back off and on to live with mom and party. Left for good in 2001
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
@BB I grew up first 1/2 on the Southside / Windsor Forest behind Armstrong,  second 1/2 on the islands. Left Tbee in 1996 but came back off and on to live with mom and party. Left for good in 2001
View Quote
@calamityjane81 I went to school in Statesboro in the late '80s, all my friends were from Savannah. Mostly Thunderbolt/Isle of Hope/Skidaway. Pretty much lived there. Good times.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:34:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

@calamityjane81 I went to school in Statesboro in the late '80s, all my friends were from Savannah. Mostly Thunderbolt/Isle of Hope/Skidaway. Pretty much lived there. Good times.
View Quote
Nice!! I lived in the poor islands ??????
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 7:56:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I miss old Savannah. Late 80s when I went to school. Now it’s all diesel trucks touring people around and bullshit. Crystal beer parlor is still there though; God love ‘em.
View Quote
And homeless junkies, I was there a couple of months ago and they were all over. Crystal Beer Parlor was good as always though.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 9:54:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Bluffton & Hilton Head Island, SC are only about a 25 mile drive from Savannnah, Ga. Check 'em out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top