Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 5/17/2022 1:01:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Yojimbo]
In February this year my son donated his old car.  We have receipts for the donation but apparently we forgot to remove his tags because today he got a ticket in the mail.  

I am also going to contact the company that accepted the donation to see if I can get any information on where his car went.

My son is going to send me a copy of his letter so I can see exactly what it says.

Does anyone have any advice on how proceed with fighting the ticket?  The vehicle is no longer in my son's possession and he was obviously not driving it.  Thanks!

***Update:  I contacted the company that took the car donation and sold it at auction.  The manager I talked requested a copy of the ticket and said he would contact the police department that issues the ticket and would give them the information on who the car was sold to.  

He said this happens from time to time and that they normally destroy tags that before selling a vehicle a auction.

My son is also following up with the police department that issues the ticket.  We'll be waiting to see what they say after the car auction company speaks with them.

What are the chances my son can avoid having to to go to court and make a 3 hour drive?  Does it look like we will have enough proof to get him off the hook for the ticket without going to court?
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 2:24:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Leisure_Shoot] [#1]
Why not reach out to the prosecuting attorney for that municipality and ask what they need in order to get this corrected?

I had a somewhat similar incident that involved a mistaken identity situation and this is how I handled it. They told me what I needed to send in, I did it, and they sent me confirmation that the case had been dropped.

Obviously, some municipalities just want the revenue, and this approach may not work there.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:
Why not reach out to the prosecuting attorney for that municipality and ask what they need in order to get this corrected?

I had a somewhat similar incident that involved a mistaken identity situation and this is how I handled it. They told me what I needed to send in, I did it, and they sent me confirmation that the case had been dropped.

Obviously, some municipalities just want the revenue, and this approach may not work there.
View Quote

Thanks, we'll look into this too!
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#3]
My aunt had this happen less than a year ago.

You need to contact the court that issued the ticket, not the police department.
They will give you a hard time because they will assume you are attempting to get out of the ticket, but after you provide "proof of sale" they will generally drop any tickets after that date and flag the plate in the system. After that the district attorney will get the fun task of tracking down the sales, give each place that sold it without removeing the plates a good scolding. With the plates flagged the driver will get pulled over the next time his plates get ran he will get a fix-it-ticket saying he needs to get new plates and prove it with in a reasonable amount of time. Their info will get taken and matched up to the sales records and the tickets will get reissued, along with potentially some extra fines to them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I donated a car once and removed my tags before it was picked up.

Any particular reason your didn’t? Just curious. Hope things get worked out with a minimum of fuss.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 11:45:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By PiGood:
My aunt had this happen less than a year ago.

You need to contact the court that issued the ticket, not the police department.
They will give you a hard time because they will assume you are attempting to get out of the ticket, but after you provide "proof of sale" they will generally drop any tickets after that date and flag the plate in the system. After that the district attorney will get the fun task of tracking down the sales, give each place that sold it without removeing the plates a good scolding. With the plates flagged the driver will get pulled over the next time his plates get ran he will get a fix-it-ticket saying he needs to get new plates and prove it with in a reasonable amount of time. Their info will get taken and matched up to the sales records and the tickets will get reissued, along with potentially some extra fines to them.
View Quote

My son is doing this too.

BTW, was your aunt living in Ohio when this happened?
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 549:
I donated a car once and removed my tags before it was picked up.

Any particular reason your didn’t? Just curious. Hope things get worked out with a minimum of fuss.
View Quote

In all reality, I meant to take the tags off but too much stuff was going on during the time my son wanted it donated and it just slipped through the cracks...
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 1:37:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Many years ago, I worked for a rental company, fuck be upon that industry.
We shredded plates when we didn't renew them.  
It got me in the habit of doing that with my plates, as well.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Yojimbo:
BTW, was your aunt living in Ohio when this happened?
View Quote

Yes, but that don't have much effect on the matter.
The traffic citations will follow the rules and regulations of the municipality/state they occurred in, not the state the person they are issued to lives in. Some places it will be easy to get it addressed, some places it will be a pain.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top