Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2022 6:06:14 PM EDT
Title is true.

My son and stepson were driving in rural Fauquier County on Green Road
this afternoon during a thunderstorm.  A tree fell on their car, but they were
able to recover and continue on their way.  A minute later another tree fell
on their car near Hurleytown totaling the vehicle.  They both survived unharmed,
walked miles home through downed power lines (which being sons of an
electrician, I asked them if they wanted their Darwin Awards), and called me
twenty minutes ago.

I'm just glad they're okay.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 6:21:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad they ok.

I don’t play around electricity.

We getting those storms about 7pm…

South central Va.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 6:51:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow, twice?  And then walked home in it?  Saying they were lucky is a major understatement.  Someone was watching out for them.

Link Posted: 6/22/2022 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad they are OK.  

My daughter lives just before the split for Warrenton off 29.  Her neighborhood got hit hard.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 7:26:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow, twice?  And then walked home in it?  Saying they were lucky is a major understatement.  Someone was watching out for them.

View Quote

No kidding. I think OP's son should go buy a lottery ticket.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 1:11:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Glad they are OK.  

My daughter lives just before the split for Warrenton off 29.  Her neighborhood got hit hard.
View Quote

Can confirm, I live in Warrenton off 29 and there is a tree sitting on top of my power, cable and telephone lines right now.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 5:36:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Today's morning news:

Apparently my son wasn't exaggerating.

I'm still mad they walked through or around downed power lines.

Link Posted: 6/23/2022 8:16:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Glad they were safe.   It's good to have a chainsaw in the vehicle after storm events.  I had a 24" diameter tree fall on front of me and was able to reopen the road with a lil 12" highly portable Kobalt battery chainsaw that you can get a Lowes for ~$120.

ETA...don't stay mad, just teach them about electricity.  I've had to drive over many hot lines.....just know what the risk is and what you're doing.  We are going to see more precarious scenarios going forward.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 4:11:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Pics of my stepson's car:

It could've been worse.  Thank God!
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I drove up Routes 522, 15, and 17 yesterday morning from I-64 northward to I-66.  When I got to the Southern States in Elkwood/Culpeper on Route 15, the light was out, and VSP were directing traffic.  The Southern States was on generator power.  Pumps open, fridges running, hot food, but no A/C.  Trees, big tree limbs, etc were down all the way northward, the worst looked like it was around Warrenton.  Big trees fallen across the large power lines that run along Route 17.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top