Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2022 9:12:54 PM EDT
Hey folks,
My dad passed in January and the executor is auctioning all his stuff. I have zero say in what can be kept. They say if I want it, bid.
There are going to be 3 lot sessions. 1 and 2 are underway right now.
This is the main auction site.
Main site
Session 1

Session 2

Session 3 is not yet posted but it will be full of firearms.

I’m going to post to GD as well. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 1:43:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sorry to hear of your loss, and also how the executor is handling things.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 5:12:22 PM EDT
[#2]
My condolences to you and yours.

It's bad enough to lose a loved one but to have to deal with this kind of stuff.  I've been through it.  It's important to create a will while you're young enough to think about it.  As people get older they tend to think about it less and less.  Then everything you wanted for your family and loved ones ends up going to lawyers and people you don't even know.  

I don't know what the situation is here but make your wills early on, you can always modify them as the years go on.  This is a good reminder that I need to do this myself.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My condolences to you and yours.

It's bad enough to lose a loved one but to have to deal with this kind of stuff.  I've been through it.  It's important to create a will while you're young enough to think about it.  As people get older they tend to think about it less and less.  Then everything you wanted for your family and loved ones ends up going to lawyers and people you don't even know.  

I don't know what the situation is here but make your wills early on, you can always modify them as the years go on.  This is a good reminder that I need to do this myself.
View Quote

I can’t begin to tell you disgusted I am with it all. That’s why I posted here, I figure you guys are as close to friends and family I have so why not.  All the guns will be in the third lot.

Interesting unprovable trivia is those speakers, the Tannoy’s were used in the recording of Sweet Home Alabama. My dad got them from a guy named. Buddy Buie who worked at Studio 1 in Doraville. We tried to confirm the sale from Tannoy to Studio 1 but in England where they were made there was a warehouse fire that destroyed the records. Talk about sucky! Anyhow, there are lots of stories about a lot of that mess that will all be forgotten and lost to time.

Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:12:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you able to pick up the things you want?
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:16:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry for your loss OP. I can understand your frustration but at least you aren't responsible for liquidating all of it yourself. I'm in the middle of dealing with my late fathers estate, it has been almost 16 months since he passed and we are just now able to proceed due to probate taking forever. Multiple pieces of real estate and a business full of equipment, it is an overwhelming task that I would gladly delegate if I could get my sisters on board.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 10:03:34 PM EDT
[#6]
sorry for your loss, OP.

any idea or insider info for us local GA folks, regarding firearms/NFA/ammo items to be listed?
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 6:21:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Condolences OP.

Your Dad had some cool stuff.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 9:16:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Great call! I was just about to post that. It looks about 100 guns of different variety. I swear some folks are going to get some screaming deals.

I sure wish I was able to cull what I wanted. It kind of pulls my chain that the descriptions suck so bad.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:27:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It kind of pulls my chain that the descriptions suck so bad.
View Quote

Yeah, some are obvious or have clear shots of the model/specs, but others are
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm flabbergasted they didn't even bother to put descriptions of the guns into their own "description" section.  That's going to seriously reduce the money made for the beneficiary/s.  This has to be the worst estate auction company I've ever seen.  I don't know of a lot so it's a small group but still.  

This just kills me, I feel terrible for you.  Your father was obviously a man of good taste from everything I've seen.  I don't know your situation but this auction company is doing the estate dirty by not doing even the tiniest bit of work to include descriptions.  I'm sorry you have to go through this.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 7:44:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm flabbergasted they didn't even bother to put descriptions of the guns into their own "description" section.  That's going to seriously reduce the money made for the beneficiary/s.  This has to be the worst estate auction company I've ever seen.  I don't know of a lot so it's a small group but still.  

This just kills me, I feel terrible for you.  Your father was obviously a man of good taste from everything I've seen.  I don't know your situation but this auction company is doing the estate dirty by not doing even the tiniest bit of work to include descriptions.  I'm sorry you have to go through this.
View Quote

I've seen alot of these gun auctions end with prices higher than gunbroker, ODT etc. I don't know why.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 1:55:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I just meant from the standpoint that the auction company didn't bother to include the make, model, year, caliber, condition or anything else which would draw more interest in the guns (as well as the other potentially valuable items).  Some of those things can be figured out from the photos but everything else you're just hoping that it is what you think it is or that it's even functional.  I just think the auction company did them dirty.

Growing up, my dad had a close friend who owned an auction company so we spent a lot of weekends at auctions.  They didn't always know everything about everything but they knew quite a bit about the bigger ticket items and could tell you a fair bit about the item.  I never really thought about how much difference that makes until viewing this auction and comparing them.  I guess times have changed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 9:54:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Same. Sometimes people get locked into winning something and completely lose their ability to think.
View Quote
I've seen that too. 50% above retail is just silly - at least it was on cheap pistols, so they weren't too bad off in raw # of dollars.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 8:04:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Same. Sometimes people get locked into winning something and completely lose their ability to think.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen alot of these gun auctions end with prices higher than gunbroker, ODT etc. I don't know why.

It happens in all kinds of auctions. Most auctions I participate in are related to manufacturing, I've seen 20+ year old welding machines sell for more than new retail.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 12:33:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Who is the executor? Pretty shitty they wouldn't let you pick out what you want before auctioning everything off.

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 11:34:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Pretty shitty they wouldn't let you pick out what you want before auctioning everything off.
View Quote
I would assume that's how the will was set up/worded?
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Yep, that’s the way it goes I guess.

The auction is on now. They got better descriptions up now and it goes for 1 days it seems.
I hope you guys can get some good deals.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The auction is on now. They got better descriptions up now and it goes for 1 days it seems.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's actually just under 10 days as of this writing.

Quoted:
I hope you guys can get some good deals.

I hope you are able to get something out of this yourself.  Still feeling bad for you over this.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 12:01:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, I meant to type 10 days

All I’m going to try to get is that Saturday night special, I have shot most of the others, be sure to check the photos for condition. That LC is a great shotgun.
That musket better go for big bucks. It’s from Harpers Ferry and we were told it was Confederate Calvary. I hope that’s the right one.  It was certainly used.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top