Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2022 11:24:50 PM EDT
Lodging and Conference are at the Royal Sonesta.

What tips do you have if I get sent on this thing?
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 12:28:59 AM EDT
[#1]
The Galatia was a great area...30+ years ago

CCW
Backup CCW
Don't drive your own car
Take out the loss/damage waiver with the rental company

Houston police have identified five locations from where they say unsuspecting victims have been followed and robbed at gunpoint, with some people even being beaten or shot.
The list includes the Galleria, the Post Oak Hotel, River Oaks District, PlazAmericas on Bellaire and Johnny Dang & Co. on Richmond.....
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Galatia was a great area...30+ years ago

CCW
Backup CCW
Don't drive your own car
Take out the loss/damage waiver with the rental company

Houston police have identified five locations from where they say unsuspecting victims have been followed and robbed at gunpoint, with some people even being beaten or shot.
The list includes the Galleria, the Post Oak Hotel, River Oaks District, PlazAmericas on Bellaire and Johnny Dang & Co. on Richmond.....
View Quote

Only five?
It's Houston. Has to be at least 87 locations.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 8:57:07 AM EDT
[#3]
If your a jogger....there's a few nice parks in Greenspoint.  You'll definitely get your avg pace time down.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 11:20:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Banks & ATMs are like watering holes where the Predators await unsuspecting fresh prey.  Be very alert!

Certain Subsets of the population have transformed Houston from a 'city' to a violent crime ridden Hell Hole.  Criminals are caught on multiple violent felonies & then just released back to the streets again and again and again to continue to rob, rape & murder.

Texas does have Constitutional Carry which can help to even the odds a bit ...

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 12:05:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If your a jogger....there's a few nice parks in Greenspoint.  You'll definitely get your avg pace time down.
View Quote

I lived off Greens Rd for a bit in ‘89. We called the mall Gunspoint Mall back then. The Greens area is a seething cesspool.

Jester
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 3:19:22 PM EDT
[#6]
We have an office in Missouri City.  8' chain link fence, with barbed wire on top.  Remote operated gate. Security Cameras.  I still do not like being there after dark
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 11:08:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Situational awareness is key. Don't look like prey and you likely won't be prey.

Not sure where you're coming from or where you've lived and such. But Houston is a big city. Take all necessary precautions when being in a big city.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 2:45:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Houston is effectively Mogadishu. Carry a gun or two, spare mags and keep that head turning.

Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:20:49 PM EDT
[#9]
While it's a good idea to carry everywhere the chances of something happening to you are pretty slim.  Stay out of shitty areas and don't engage in criminal activities and you'll more than likely be just fine.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 4:39:42 AM EDT
[#10]
based on the above responses, I'm going to try and get out of going.

Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:42:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Meh. It's just like every other big city. Sure it's a shithole in areas and that spills out into other areas occasionally, but you'll be fine. Just be aware of your surroundings.  

We just went into Houston Sunday Night to have dinner for our Anniversary and had a fantastic time.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 10:42:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm over there regularly for work, albeit on jobsites, and during the day. Never had an issue other than vagrants.

It has an undercurrent that you can 99% avoid by not going to shitty areas, and hanging around with shitheads at shitty times of day.

If it was that bad there wouldn't be trophy wives in $100k+ cars without a care in the world literally everywhere in that area.

I'd say take out the damage waiver on the rental, and valet it on site wherever you go. Don't leave any sort of bag visible in the car.

Lots of nice restaurants around there - travel in a group and stay out of the 'clubs' and should be fine.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#13]
If you like deli/Jewish style food, Kenny  & Ziggy's is world class.  Been on Diners, Drive Inns and Dives.  Galleria area near Westheimer and I610.  Best (and largest) rueben I've ever had.  Try the 3 pound eclair too

https://www.kennyandziggys.com/
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 4:56:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's not as bad as above people make it out to be.  Stay out of obvious no go areas and be situationally aware.  Houston isn't nearly as bad as other big cities
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 11:12:34 PM EDT
[#15]
That guy who does "Active Self Protection" compared Houston's crime situation with Brazil.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top